Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Good Fanfiction Sites
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Good Fanfiction Sites
Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 95
Hmm looks like an interesting site...although it currently doesn't allow new accounts to be made.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 34
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other good fanfiction sites that exist. Other than fanfiction.net of course. I would never leave Dokuga, its home but I am looking for some new sites to peruse. Thank you.

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 156
I've heard Archive Of Our Own has been gaining popularity.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 78
Archive of Our Own is great, it is huge, and I haven't encountered any negativity. Lots of creative people writing for lots and lots of fandoms.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 57
knifethrower wrote:
Archive of Our Own is great, it is huge, and I haven't encountered any negativity. Lots of creative people writing for lots and lots of fandoms.

AO3 It is a good archive. I use it, though a downside is the search filter. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's neither comprehensive nor simple to use, especially when you're trying to search for stuff within a fandom. It'll give you too few entries or too many as in a couple hundred. The tagging system isn't very helpful either. So story searching can be a major pain in the keister.

Another downer is the text editor. It's a pain to use if you're trying to format stuff using anything more complicated than italics. It will occasionally add in unneccessary paragraph breaks to double the length of the story you post, and or miss out the gaps between words entirely.

It's not as easy to use as the Dokuga editor.

It also won't allow you to completely copy and paste the text formatting from a word processing document like Word or OpenOffice as Dokuga allows you to do.

Yes you can post a story using pure HTML coding, but unless you know how to do that, and or have the patience to add in line-breaks, paragraph breaks, bold/italics tags, etc, it's fairly pointless.

On the upside the archive does have a fantastic favourites section. You can organise your bookmarks (aka the stories you've read by other authors) into groups or by fandom dependent on your own desires.

This part I like.

You can also hide and or lock certain favourites so that only you can read them and no one else will know what that favourite story is.

Another thing is that the stories can be downloaded in various formats.

I think this should be optional.

I personally do not want people having copies of my stories on their PCs or any other kind of device.

If I could opt out of it I would, but on AO3 it's standard.

The author can't choose to provide or not to provide this kind of accessibility. So it could in essence make plagiarising another author's work very simple. All you have to do is download that story in any format from EPUB to HTML and there you go.

I'm not saying that a reader would do that.

I'm simply stating that it's possible when you can so very easily download a full copy of an author's story.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/01/18 22:59 By Pyre.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Good Fanfiction Sites 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 57
Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer wrote:
Hmm looks like an interesting site...although it currently doesn't allow new accounts to be made.

Actually you can make new accounts, but the auto-invite method for joining AO3 has been suspended. The only way currently for you to join AO3 is to be invited by a person that's already a member of AO3 i.e. they have an existing account.

The news post explaining this is available here: http://archiveofourown.org/admin_posts/2183

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/01/18 23:16 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.