Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Original Characters
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Original Characters
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Original Characters 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 38
I was in the middle of writing a new chapter for A Demon Lord's Cry and for those that have read it, you know that there are plethora of original characters and it's probably my only story with original characters. And I love them. Too much.

Then, as usual, a plunnie attacked me and I started writing another story. BUT I needed an OC for said new story. Now my question and concern is: Is it possible to overuse an OC?

For clarification, do you think new stories require new OCs or can the OCs be recycled? I know it's my story and I should do whatever makes me happy but I am genuinely stuck. Do I use my fave OCs or just make new ones? What are your thoughts? Have you ever recycled OCs? Do you think it's acceptable to recycle OCs?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/01/16 12:12 By Kagome Yuki Niwa.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kitana Tsukino-hime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Original Characters 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 9
I think overuse can occur. However, I also think it is acceptable, if you can integrate them in a believable manner. "Carry them over," in a sense from the story they originated in. Though I personally like creating new OCs for new stories.

Logged Logged

Sig/Story Archive Banner (C) Sesshomaru\'s Secret Admirer

Claim Game Banner (C) Sesshomaru\'s Secret Admirer
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Original Characters 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 156
From a writer's perspective, I'd create new characters, because every story is different. I mean I usually even tweak the canon characters one way or another, because they have different roles to play in different stories.

OCs can be recycled, though, and there's nothing wrong in doing that! It's just another matter or preference, we all work in different ways. So I don't mind if people do it, I just wouldn't do it myself.

My two cents is, go with whatever feels is the best option for your new story.

Logged Logged
Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Original Characters 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 95
I totally understand the temptation of re-using OC characters. I find it hard to let go of the OC's that I've created in some stories. But, I think that each story requires a different type of character/supporting character and a new OC is necessary.
I think creating new OC's can be challenging and fun at the same time. I also believe that the more OC's you create, the better personality development you practice.
But, these are just my thoughts. Recycling OC's are not bad at all, it is totally up to the author. I doubt readers mind this too. They, just like the author/authoress, probably love to see the OC character's they fell in love with reappear once again in another story.

Logged Logged

Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Original Characters 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 154
From a reader's point of view: I agree with Kitana. Overuse can occur: I've seen it a few times where a writer's OC has taken over their story (including the summary) and I end up scratching my head and wondering, "Who the heck is that?!?" However, the world is full of all kinds of people, more than any set of story characters can meet in the canon story, so if you want to reuse characters you've created, go for it!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.