Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 37
It's that time of year again when we all look forward to the Christmas season, especially the children and most importantly the presents. I received a Christmas wish list from my three nieces and my only nephew. I can tell you it was a lot of stuff, they wanted x-boxes, tablets, game cds, the latest barbie dolls and clothes. I normally wouldn't have a problem buying these things because I would have received my yearly bonuses, but recently I bought a townhouse and I am barely making it. I thought about telling them of my recent purchase and that I wouldn't be able to indulge them this year, but when I thought how disappointed they would be I couldn't do it. What to do? Any suggestions would help. I would love to get them those things but I have only $300 to spare, and when I checked the prices of those items brand new it was twice that amount.???

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
mango
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 72
With my kids this year, I told them ahead of time I couldn't afford everything they wanted and to pick one or two items they wanted most off their lists and I would try my best to get it. I ended up getting the one item they wanted most and clothes because they needed them. They usually get money or gifts they want to return from other relatives they can use towards getting the other things they wanted anyway

Logged Logged
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 37
I have been thinking and frustrating myself with not being able to fulfill my obligations to my family, but you know sometimes we don't give the kids enough credit when it comes to understanding financial and grown up issues. You have made a very important point, I will just have to explain and ask them to choose the items they need most. Thanks for your views they are quite helpful.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 57
Xboxes, tablets, and gaming CDs?

Whoa, the Xbox alone, old and new editions, will already blow your budget, and that's without the tablets, especially if you're talking like Ipads and Kindle-type stuff without even touching Wacom tablets.

The gaming CD's are another budget blow-out, with the cheapest of these being at least on a good day with special deals around $10 to $20 dollars each, if someone doesn't buy if before you do.

Tech stuff is never cheap. Like... never. It has and always will be very expensive even if you have small or big budgets.

Kids don't need that stuff, seriously. Give them something they can use like clothes or practical things. When they make their own dosh then they can spoil themselves rotten.

I should know, 'cause that's what I do. XD.

~ Pyre
P.S: They might be a little disappointed not to get the tech shinies, but believe me they'll soon forget about it. Kids are fairly resilient.

Logged Logged
Anna V
Pup
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
If you have a budget your best bet is homemade gifts.

Pinterest would be your best place to look for ideas and DIY instructions, it was the route that I took this year...had 10+ people to buy for.

We made things like homemade salt dough ornaments, homemade body scrubs, homemade candles and so forth...and barely spent $150.

Logged Logged

~*Anna V*~
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 76
They're probably getting cash from a few people... at least that's how it is around my house this time of year. So drop some money on one of those visa giftcards and hand it out... I got my mother-in-law (no, I'm not married but I live with my girlfriend and her mother... so why not...) a $20 visa because it's all I could afford. She'll be happy.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re: Giving Christmas gift on a tight budget 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 91
My suggestion is this, though it's fairly late here, this I know...

What I do for the granddaughter is this-- I buy something memorable that she probably hasn't even heard of. It's usually a toy of some kind, something she can keep for a long time and use for years or something so unique that it's doubtful she will even have known about it that she can decorate her room with. As my daughter says when I ask, she has everything she could ever want, normally, between the grandparents on her dad's side and my mother. So, I give something unique.

Go look in local craft stores or consignment shops for things that are handmade and unique. Those are special because you picked them out directly for them and what you know of their tastes, something they can keep forever. Or give them a gift certificate for one of those places. I bet they can find something they will adore. Around here, we have shops that specialize in many different areas of the world because of the diverse population. Unique items from places like Korea, Japan, India, Africa, etc, are wonderful gifts they can cherish for years that have special meaning. And they are something most of their friends won't have.

Just my suggestion.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.