Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
SessKag compendium?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: SessKag compendium?
Darrakk
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
SessKag compendium? 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 1
Does anyone know if there exists a massive list of SessKag fics with detailed summaries attached? If this does not exist, I think we should all chip in and make one!

Think about it, one place constantly updated, with links and summaries of the plot so far. And a list of key events or unique ideas. Never again would we be lost searching for that one fic that you just KNOW was so good, but you can only remember vague details! A simple ctrl + f with a few key words and you'd find it! Please let this already exist.

The people in the "searching for a fic" are beyond awesome, but this would be brilliant. It would basically just be a permanent record of the fics they helped people find, but expanded and all on the one page.

Anyone think this is possible?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Discontent Winter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:SessKag compendium? 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
You can do that to an extent on Dokuga already... I once accidentally set the Fanfiction page to All instead of 20 entries... then spent a week wondering why Dokuga was so slow to refresh The Spark page also has this feature at the bottom if you ever need to use it.

Of course, it doesn't include other sites though. That would be an interesting undertaking.

Logged Logged

signature courtesy of r0o!
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:SessKag compendium? 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
That's an interesting idea, although Dokuga does provide that to some capacity already. Some authors and other websites post their own favourites of various fandoms, and such on webpages with links. You could search via google to find them, although I'm not sure (other than on Dokuga) how popular the Sess-Kag pairing in the Inuyasha universe is outside of around here. Also I can see a tiny problem with the idea of having all links on one page for many favourite ficlets. Authors tend to chop and change their works constantly, moving them around, or deleting them all together from various sites, and fiction archives. One link available one day could be gone the next, it's up to the author's discretion to do this, so linked stories on that one page could be outdated very quickly, leaving a 'dead' link behind.

Updating it could therefore be not only a task, but, a tad difficult one too.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:SessKag compendium? 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 24
I agree with Pyreite. There would be a lot of kinks to be worked out in order for it to work. Not to mention the amount of space needed for such detailed records. It may be funds that Dokuga doesn't have to support something of that magnitude.

Just looking at Dokuga itself and the hundreds of stories listed here, if each story were to, say.... be broken down by chapter in order to list a more detailed plot... that would take a whole lot of room. lol.

It's a wonderful idea since I know I have a tendency to lose stories too... but it would take A LOT of work, time, and space.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:SessKag compendium? 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 277
Responding in my capacity as "money manager" for Dokuga, I have to say that this site could not host something of that magnitude.

It would be far too large and managing it would be, essentially, a full-time job - and not just for one person either.

For example, Dokuga hosts almost 10,000 stories, between the A-Single-Spark archive and our own. Our site size requires a dedicated server, and costs around $234.00 per month just for the hosting. What you're envisioning is a site that, in essence, contains snippets of each chapter of every story - given the 10,000 stories here and the untold number of unique stories posted elsewhere, that's a monumental undertaking which would require a unique site of similar size.

You would need to take into account the fact that different sites have different ratings restrictions, and would either have to find a way to ATTEMPT to restrict access to adult material, or make such a site membership-only, similar to some Yahoo!Groups. Otherwise, you run the risk of being embroiled in legal battles over providing minors access to such materials.

In addition, in order to make such a site work the way you envision, you would have to have a search engine that is far more complicated and complex than even those that exist on the largest fanfiction sites. Obviously, that would probably require a certain level of programming expertise.

It's a terrific idea, but I think that, given our members' expertise and memory banks (lol) we do just as well with the "Searching" thread on the forum. Very few stories go unfound, even if some of them have long since been removed from the internet.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.