Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories
Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 12
I just wanted to add another way of finding some good stories.

I like to go to my favorite stories, click on the author, and look at the author's favorite stories.

There is a good chance that you have similar tastes =P

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 22
Naomi wrote:
I like to go to my favorite stories, click on the author, and look at the author's favorite stories.

We can DO that?! :O! *goes to look*

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 12
I do that on FFN.net, sorry I should have made myself clear.

Logged Logged

Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 27
I wish we could see the favorite stories on profiles like we can favorite art. It would be a nice way to find more stories. I was considering posting my favorites on my profile after a discussion in the chat where we were trading favorites.

Maybe make it an optional tab that you can turn off if you don't want people knowing your favorite stories

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/02/28 14:13 By Avadrea.

Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 22
I think that would be a good idea as well..but depending on how the site is set up it might be more of a hassle for the admin than it would be a help to us.

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Most people here have an account on FFN.net too, so you can do it there =P

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 57
How an author approaches their own writing is their own style which is kewl. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. Everyone is different, which is kewl too. I think honestly that if you want recommendations, post a note in the Fanfiction Recs forum and either post links to your Dokuga favs, or rec someone else. It's all good. Some authors advertise their ficlets in the Self Promotion forum, take a nip in there and look around.

Or do what Naomi suggested go to FFNet and check out the author's favs on their profile pages, nods most Dokugans have an FFNet page, plus you can always PM the author and ask if they do.

There are ways to find favs, and or recommendations, or just surf the fanfiction sites, and snoop around. That's how I found alot of my favs on FFNet. I haven't done as much here on Dokuga, since I'm still fairly new here.

I mean I've tripped between fandoms for years, and had various favourites, past and present. I could rec a couple hundred fics off the tops of my head from various authors, but I won't do that here as most of them are Non-Sess-Kag, and Non-Inuyasha, so I'll let it rest. My point is that finding good fiction is like researching, you gotta look around, and not be afraid to trawl, and check stuff out. You'll eventually develop a flavour for what you like and what not, and it'll be easier over time to wade.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/02/28 17:27 By Pyre.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: -666
Woo, that was a lot of reading. (especially Pyreite, Freya and naqaashi)

I don't think there is much more to say after all that has been said. I agree with all of it, but I do sympathize as well. Every writer starts from a rough spot, and it's commonly said that a published author's first story is frequently their worst.

The issue with a filter is that you're celebrating well-written fics by excluding poorer ones. To a lesser degree, this already happens with awards, but in a positive way. There's something in your face about a filter.

So here's a rundown of ways to find a good story (a compiled list of what's already been said)

Recommendations on the forum
    Searching for a fic on the forum
    "S/K Stories that got you hooked" on the forum
    "Unforgettable Linens in Fanfiction on the forum (still funny )
    "Your First S/K fic" on the forum
    Previous award winners and nominees
    Favorite stories of authors on FF.Net

And I love you guys

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 27
most of my favorite fics I found from the fanart of the fanfictions. Like Unspoiled. I actually didn't want to read that one at first. But after seeing all the great art of it I finally did and it is defiantly one of my favorites.

Logged Logged

Dlat
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 3
I understand where you're coming from completely with this idea. I get really annoyed when I have to search for over an hour before I can find something worth reading. However, knowing that my own fanfiction doesn't reach greatness in level I wouldn't want fanfictions to be screened. But what I normally do when I want to read something and know that it will be good is I scan the Dokuga Awards lists, both new and old when possible and search for something I haven't read. My list tends to be even shorter however given that I only read completed works and so I have to wait for the good ones to be completed.

Logged Logged

KaminokoDaughters
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Filtering only good Sesshoumaru and Kagome stories 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
While yes, I sometimes feel like I've read all the "good" stories, I'm usually not referring to their plot but rather their spelling/grammar/word mix-ups. If you feel the same, there's a few ways to work through it, like correcting it before you read it. If I only have a little bit of time and I run across more than three glaring mistakes within the first paragraph (their/they're/there, to/too/two, breath/breathe, follow/fallow, etc.) or seven before I reach the fifth paragraph, I will usually leave the story to come back to later unless it's captivating and I will continue as far as I can. But when I have more time, I will copy the whole story into Word and make mass corrections by using the CTRL+F (find and replace) feature. I will type in the word/phrase I know is wrong and have it replace it with the one that is right for the entire document. Then I can enjoy the plot development without my pet peeve creature jumping all over my back and tearing out my hair. There are quite a few enjoyable stories that just need a bit of spelling/grammar help.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.