Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Jaken..toad?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Jaken..toad?
Tiegrsi
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Jaken..toad? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
I have seen (and used) the word TOAD to describe Jaken time and time again. I have also seen him called "kappa youkai"...which I always THOUGHT meant toad..since it is often used in the same fictions that describe him as a toad. However, I just found this info and I don't think I've ever seen it before:

Quote:
A group of monkeylike creatures called kappa displays both good and evil qualities in Japanese myth. Associated with water, they live in rivers, ponds, and lakes and carry water in a hollow space on top of their heads. If the water spills, the kappa lose their magical powers. Kappa drink the blood of humans, horses, and cattle. But they also eat cucumbers, and families can avoid being attacked by throwing a cucumber bearing their names into the kappa's watery home.

Among the kappa's good qualities is a tendency to be polite. When they meet someone, they bow, often spilling the water in their heads. They also always keep their promises. In many tales, humans outwit the kappa by forcing them to make promises.

Quoted from a myths encyclopedia

I thought it was interesting to see a description that mentions kappa being "monkey-like" because I can totally see that in Jaken. Also the hole in the head thing explains his hat that he always wears (to keep the water in?). Although I don't see Jaken as being terribly polite...perhaps only to Sesshomaru. But I thought I would share.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Jaken..toad? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 23
Interesting.

I always thought of him as a kappa demon, mainly because he does seem to fit the image of one. Hm, the dish they usually have in the center of their head, usually needs water to keep them hydrated. It would explain why he keeps his hat there.

I fell in love with Kappas after watching the movie 'Summer days with Coo'-It's adorable! If anyone is curious and wants to watch it, here is a link to where you can see it www.animecrazy.net/summer-days-with-coo-movie/

Thank you for sharing the bit of information!

Logged Logged
cakeiton
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Jaken..toad? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 55

Logged Logged

Tsuki
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Jaken..toad? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 7
I can kinda see the monkeylike look Jaken has, lol

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Jaken..toad? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 52
I mostly use Jaken as fodder for crack-smut, but I've always thought of him as an Imp Demon, or perhaps a cross-breed between an Imp and a Toad Demon. The Kappa angle certainly has piqued my interest though.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.