Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Canon or AU?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Canon or AU?
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 18
I'm trying to understand why alot of people think that on a technical basis Sesshomaru and Kagome couldn't end up together in a canon universe. Because really, it's never actually said that yusha and Kagome get married/mated, it's implied and is a fairly large plot hole I think. And even if it had been that Inuyasha and Kagome were bound together in whatever form of matrimony, things happen and they could have ended up splitting. So, after whatever happened, if Sesshomaru and Kagome ended falling in love however the writer decides, how is that not canon?

I have seen people say that it's also technically OOC, which I am assuming is for Sesshomaru for marrying/mating a human. He'd obviously been changed and softened slightly by Rin, so wouldn't that mean his OOCness, if that's really what it is, originally started with the actual author of IY? Because in the beginning, he didn't really care for anyone but himself and maybe, MAYBE Jaken. So wouldn't that mean that instead of OOC, his character just changed a bit? Or grew even?

Now, let me make it very clear that I am not attacking anyone, or saying someone is wrong in this. I have no issues with other opinions, and I don't want this to turn into an argument. I'm just trying to figure this out because I don't understand the other view and have seen alot of people here and other sites saying that pretty much anything where Sessho and Kags were involved romantically was technically AU, if you got right down to it. I personally disagree with that at this point and think that a Canon universe is very possible, but I would like for someone with an opposite view to explain their reasoning. It's simple curiosity. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the matter?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/09 13:54 By creature of shadow.

Made by the wonderful r0o

made by the fabulous Fox
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
By the final ep. of Inuyasha The Final Act where Kagome implies that she sees Sesshoumaru has an older brother and then he threatens Jaken after Jaken threatens Kagome...lets you see his opinion of her has changed.

In the canon fic it could be written that he does end up with her, because after all the only thing that happened between Inuyasha and Kagome was a kiss.

So yes your question is valid.

Because no matter how you write a canon fic it will turn out to be alernate because what you are writing does not follow along with how the manga/anime went. To me I find it hard to write a canon fic unless you are just writing from one person's point of view and not adding any of the other Inuyasha characters into the story.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 18
Right, I get that, but who's to say what happens after the anime/manga? Is it alternate because the actual story line never went there? Or could it be canon because the story up until that point went play by play with the anime/manga? That's the part I don't understand.
I get that in the end Kags regarded Sessho as a brother, because at the time it was implied that she was romantically with Inuyasha. But again, if something happened between them in a fic after the series stopped, wouldn't that still be canon?

Logged Logged

made by the fabulous Fox
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
What I meant by my comment was purely this...

Were the anime/manga left off if someone chose to write a canon story from that point on, or embelished on what happened in the anime or the manga...even though the author of the story may view it has canon because they are following along with how the story line went, in essence it is still considered alternate because it never truly happened in the story line and you are alternating how it truly went.

Canon writing is really hard to grasp thus the reason behind me saying that I find it hard to write canon stories unless I am doing it for that character's view and no one else's.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: -666
For me, if it takes place after the end of the manga (which is a very open-ended ending by the way), and you take into account what has happened over the course of the manga story-wise, then it can easily be canon. Where it becomes tricky is when it takes place during that year of story when Kagome first enters the well until Naraku is defeated.

It's not out-of-character for Sesshoumaru to take an interest in Kagome, but it is an uphill battle for the author to persuade anyone who is skeptical of the pairing or those who require a heavy dose of reality. Again, there are other universe aside from canon and alternate. And alternate doesn't wholly imply that Sesshoumaru has to be a businessman in New York. By the definition that we're implying, the AU category is huge and the CU category is relatively small. Truthfully, this is all categorization, and no one is telling anyone what to write.

I can understand the frustration and, this by all means is my interpretation. Whether other people agree or not is up to them.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 18
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I think I tend to agree with Lady B on this one. But really, it can go either way. I guess it just kinda depends on the person.

Logged Logged

made by the fabulous Fox
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 91
Actually, anything after the manga is considered AU for all intents and purposes for awards and such. Fallen Angel is an example of that. It's officially classified as AU because it's post canon even though I took into account all the events of the manga/anime including Inuyasha and Kagome ending up together, the way the battle with Naraku ended and everything else that went on. I asked for a post-canon tag after the manga ended and was told that AU was the tag that covered all post canon stories(yes, folks, that was here on Dokuga).

Again, in my mind, canon is a setting because if you followed canon you would just be re-writing the entire manga/anime with Kagome and Inuyasha ending up together. I go by canon being a setting, such as the feudal era. But everyone sees it differently.

And OOC is a strange bit. Most, when they see the OOC tag, thing so far out of character that they are barely recognizable. That's not always the case. People outside the Sess/Kag fandom see any way you stick Sess/Kags together and use anything but the canon pairings offered in the manga/anime as OOC for various reasons. That also applies to ALL pairings not offered up in the canon. Some purists even include Kouga/Ayaume in that since she wasn't in the manga. Again, for purists and for some awards on the net, OOC applies to non-canon pairings no matter how in character you keep them. That's what people mean by being OOC, it has nothing to do with how close to the canon character you keep the personality, but what you do with them.

Both, honestly, are a perception on the part of the reader and writer. On Dokuga, we don't see Sesshomaru and Kagome ending up together as OOC but someone that is a strictly canon pairing purist does. Same with if you deviate from the manga at all, that would be considered AU for them.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 156
Miss Anna S wrote:
By the final ep. of Inuyasha The Final Act Kagome implies that she sees Sesshoumaru has an older brother

I'd just like to point out that in the manga scanlation of the final chapter that I read, there was a translator's note, explaining that when Kagome called out to Sesshoumaru as "onii-san", the kanji that were used would infact mean brother-in-law, even though the pronunciation is the same as with the word "brother".

Logged Logged
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
I know...I was mostly going by the tv show for when I said big brother, because most of the stories I have read on sites reference the tv show more than the manga.

Logged Logged

Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Canon or AU? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 12
Haha, for preference, I think Canon because of RosieB's Once and Future Taiyoukai.

But I also love the 'super business tycoon' Sesshomaru XD

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.