Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
First-time Gitters
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: First-time Gitters
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 696975
piratequeen0405 wrote:
moonlightserenade wrote:
How do you overcome the fear of posting your own stories for the first time? I've been into fanfiction, especially Sesshoumar/Kagome fics for almost six years now and have written several stories of my own, and yet I can't seem to overcome my fear of actually allowing someone other than myself read them. Any advice would be more than welcome!

Fear of doing anything the first time can be debilitating, and we all manage that and get over it differently. If you are the type of personality to jump into the deep end of the pool, just post it and see what happens! If you are they type to test the waters slowly, you may want to show it to someone you trust to give an honest opinion or get a beta to read through it first.

My main advice before posting is to read through it yourself with a critical eye, not only looking of typos, etc. but see how it flows. We tend to be our own worst critics, and if you can live with it and even enjoy it, I'm sure lots of others will enjoy it as well.

I'm going to agree with Piratequeen here. In the end though it's just about taking that leap of faith. People here are Dokuga are friendly and will support you on your fist fic. If you want to start small, start small. Just read through with a critical eye, and post and trust me, it'll all turn out fine

and if somebody does give you hassle, you let me know and it'll be dealt with immediately because negative comments and reviews are not allowed here.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
tenchi no mai
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 60
Everyone has already said what I was going to write. Like the Nike ads say "Just Do It". I was terrified to post my first piece, but everyone here is super nice and helpful. Everyone here loves Sess/Kag in all its genres. Get someone to beta if you think you need help with spelling or grammer. Then just do it. It gets easier to get over the nerves after the first time. Good luck and I look forward to reading your story!

Logged Logged

Save the Earth...it\\\'s the only planet with chocolate! (Seen on a bumpersticker)
piratequeen0405
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
moonlightserenade wrote:
How do you overcome the fear of posting your own stories for the first time? I've been into fanfiction, especially Sesshoumar/Kagome fics for almost six years now and have written several stories of my own, and yet I can't seem to overcome my fear of actually allowing someone other than myself read them. Any advice would be more than welcome!

Fear of doing anything the first time can be debilitating, and we all manage that and get over it differently. If you are the type of personality to jump into the deep end of the pool, just post it and see what happens! If you are they type to test the waters slowly, you may want to show it to someone you trust to give an honest opinion or get a beta to read through it first.

My main advice before posting is to read through it yourself with a critical eye, not only looking of typos, etc. but see how it flows. We tend to be our own worst critics, and if you can live with it and even enjoy it, I'm sure lots of others will enjoy it as well.

Logged Logged
MoonlightSerenade
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 10
Thank you! Your right the only way to really grow as a writer would be to allow others to read my work as i have read theirs. The only thing to do really would be to take a chance and dive in. But, even then one cant help but feel apprehensive. The amount of wonderful authors here is more than a liitle intimidating. And thanks for the comment about my name, i like classical music so i seemed to be a good choice!

Logged Logged
ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 11
moonlightserenade wrote:

First off, love your name/moniker and now to the heart of the matter. Do you like it? What you've written? Does it speak to your heart? The answer is probably yes and here is the biggest and best secret, it undoubtedly will speak to others too. True, you do write for yourself, we all do, but the sharing and the back and forth over time of others who share the same vision is a wonderful thing and helps you grow as writer. Sure, you are afraid, it is your baby that you are letting loose unto the world, but you will be pleasantly surprised because in the act of sharing there is joy. We none of us see this universe the same and never will but you would be amazed to realize how many may well share your views and some won't and that is perfectly alright too, take that with a grain of salt and go forth and conquer. Stick your feet in the waters, it is pleasantly warm, my dear.

All The Best

EP

Logged Logged

MoonlightSerenade
Whelp
graphgraph
thanks! I guess its just something that I will only get over in time.

Logged Logged
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 40
OH.. and usually before i post something up, i look over it and see if it satisfies me enough.

Then, i find some way to relax, like a walk through the beach, or a trip to my favorite cafe before I make a final decision.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 40
Ive been writing since i was 13, when i first joined A Single Spark. My first story... since the first time i've posted it, I rewrited about five times.

In my opinion, posting your stories gives you the opportunity to show people how you see something and to showcase your talent. and i like getting feedback. sharing a story gives the opportunity to see what others think of it, and with the feedback, you can then decide for yourself, how you want to change things or keep things. There is always room for improvement. even professionaly writers re-write and re-write and re-write and re-write.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
MoonlightSerenade
Whelp
graphgraph
First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 10

Logged Logged
inali
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 58
eh, I've never had any hangups on putting my work out there... for me it's keeping the momentum to finish the stories I start... but my advice is to stop overthinking the whole "to post, or not to post" issue. the more you continue waiver on about it the more insecurities you'll build up.

Logged Logged

I like researching stuffs...
ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 11
moonlightserenade wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! I dont think that I will post any of my old stories just yet, but I'll write a new one. Maybe that way I'll have a fresh piece to post when I'm ready!

Awesomness do so. It is an exceedingly gratifying experience when you give someone else joy in your creation. Nothing like it. Go for it! You stand to lose nothing but gain everything. Personally some of the best conversations, the deepest conversations (via email;) ) I have ever had has been with those who have read stuff I have written. I am always so joyfully suprised and it is tremendously humbling. Go to it, my lady.

Logged Logged

Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
Good. And maybe once you post a brand new shiny one, you'll go back and edit some of your early ones and post them too. *nodnod*

Logged Logged
MoonlightSerenade
Whelp
graphgraph
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! I dont think that I will post any of my old stories just yet, but I'll write a new one. Maybe that way I'll have a fresh piece to post when I'm ready!

Logged Logged
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
My fics are my babies. I have to admit to being very attached to what I write. So it's always a challenge setting them out into the open water and letting them go, especially since I tend to write stories that don't always appeal to a general audience. I wasted a lot of time worrying about my lack of reviews, wondering if anyone but me liked what I wrote. Then I came to the conclusion that it didn't matter. I DO like what I write and though I'm by no means a fantastically popular author, I do have a nice set of dedicated fans who love my writing and give me the most wonderful reviews that make me feel cherished. Having just those few reviews, from people who really get what I'm trying to do, that means more to me than if I had a thousand.

So, my advice: stop worrying and take the plunge. Maybe not everyone will like it, but I guarantee there will be a few. Why deny the world the pleasure of reading your thoughts?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/25 18:27 By Noacat.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:First-time Gitters 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
I can't really say how I got over my fear because I don't think I really had a fear. I've been wrtiting since I can remember and I'm not afraid to post my stories. All the advice I can give is talk to a friend or a family member and have them look at it and give you feedback. Feedback is important for a story. You should talk to different people that way you get different perspectives and sometimes it helps you think "outside the box" and write something original.

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.