Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Reviews
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Reviews
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 14
At the same times I didn't take the words to heart, because so many people offered me many kind remarks on the story. I think that if you have many people backing you up with positive remarks and criticism then an author should focus on those.

That is so true. Even so, it does get to you a little and it certainly hurts.

For me, I think people who flame are kind of sad and lack imagination. Whenever I've taken issue with something, I try to be as polite as possible, because I really don't want to make anyone feel bad. And there's the rub... someone who leaves a flame, whether it's blatant or passive-aggressive, is intending to hurt whoever it is they're flaming. They want to bring down and make that person feel low to boost their own self esteem and that's just warped and pathetic.

It honestly makes me really mad. Rudeness is entirely unnecessary.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Angelic Memories
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 27
Noacat wrote:
angelic memories wrote:
I understand somewhat about the log in thing, I remember that once I forgot I wasn't log in on FF and but I used my username still. But it is so rare for me not to be log in so I usually don't have to be worried about. Still it is a cowardly to leave a false name and not sign in to back up what I say. If you are embarrassed about it you shouldn't write it.

The way I see it...
1) you write something to help an author improve
2) you write something that encourages to write more
3) you write about something in the story you really liked to show the author things that he or she has done to impress the readers.

Word on all three on your list. I'd add a forth. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. Or if it's really burning a hole in your pants, take whatever negative comments you might have and PM the author, rather than calling them out in public. Being that reviews are very public, giving an author a review that could be taken as a flame makes you look bad and it doesn't do much for the author anyway. You're not really contributing to their growth and you're making an ass of yourself.

I feel it's just more polite to tell the author how you feel privately. It shows that you respect the author, even if you don't like what they're doing. Plus, you might end up having a nice dialog. I know that I've written authors before expressing a problem I might have had, and I've ended up making a friend and having a really interesting conversation.

Honestly, people find it so much easier to be rude on the internets, but I've found that being nice and polite and kind gives richer rewards. *nodnod*

Yes you are right for many things. Just because a person can't talk to the person face to face makes them braver in saying something horrible. But I wonder if half these people would be able to flame an author speaking to them in person. I have had the privlege of recieving a my first flame by PM on FF and I felt better know that no one would see the dishearting and rude words because reviews are public... its the least a person can do right?

At the same times I didn't take the words to heart, because so many people offered me many kind remarks on the story. I think that if you have many people backing you up with positive remarks and critisim then an author should focus on those.

Logged Logged

LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 39
angelic memories wrote:
I understand somewhat about the log in thing, I remember that once I forgot I wasn't log in on FF and but I used my username still. But it is so rare for me not to be log in so I usually don't have to be worried about. Still it is a cowardly to leave a false name and not sign in to back up what I say. If you are embarrassed about it you shouldn't write it.

The way I see it...
3) you write about something in the story you really liked to show the author things that he or she has done to impress the readers.

Here, here Angelic! I second your words. What was left for knifethrower was walking close to the lines of flame-age. There's a HUGE difference between a contructive crit and a hateful one.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
angelic memories wrote:

The way I see it...

Word on all three on your list. I'd add a forth. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. Or if it's really burning a hole in your pants, take whatever negative comments you might have and PM the author, rather than calling them out in public. Being that reviews are very public, giving an author a review that could be taken as a flame makes you look bad and it doesn't do much for the author anyway. You're not really contributing to their growth and you're making an ass of yourself.

I feel it's just more polite to tell the author how you feel privately. It shows that you respect the author, even if you don't like what they're doing. Plus, you might end up having a nice dialog. I know that I've written authors before expressing a problem I might have had, and I've ended up making a friend and having a really interesting conversation.

Honestly, people find it so much easier to be rude on the internets, but I've found that being nice and polite and kind gives richer rewards. *nodnod*

Logged Logged
Angelic Memories
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 27

The way I see it...

Logged Logged

LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
MomoDesu wrote:
Is it that one chick that leaves the same review of 'this is good, please write more.'?

There is one gal that leaves that same review on almost every story I ever posted on AFF.net, even things from other fandoms.

Her name is Megan Consoer... she's been doing this for YEARS, literally. Some people get upset - others just laugh. But she does it in the oddest places, like on completed fics and all. Strange, if you ask me!

~~Wiccan~~

I found her profile on FF and she has been at it there since 1994! She has over 1000 favored fics and I went to check which ones were there, but my internet didn't like that and kicked me off the page! Oh well.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 15
I think its funny when people comment on one-shots and are like, "This is a great first chapter, can't wait for the next one!". I'm just like...."It's a one-shot...It says completed..."

Lol, I think that might be some people's way of subtly asking you to write more.

Logged Logged

“It is impolite to stare, miko,” he said, his smile gone, bringing Kagome back down to earth.

Oh, hello earth, how are you? She addressed the planet in a daze. Just got back from whatever parallel universe I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d fallen into, did you know Sesshoumaru smiles there? Weird.

~Of Gods and Demons
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
MomoDesu wrote:
Is it that one chick that leaves the same review of 'this is good, please write more.'?

There is one gal that leaves that same review on almost every story I ever posted on AFF.net, even things from other fandoms.

Her name is Megan Consoer... she's been doing this for YEARS, literally. Some people get upset - others just laugh. But she does it in the oddest places, like on completed fics and all. Strange, if you ask me!

~~Wiccan~~

I remember when I got my first Megan Consoer review. I felt like I'd arrived. *sniffs* The memories... Funny enough, it was on a finished story. I almost replied back and told her that there was no more... that was it... but then I realized it was kind of futile. So I didn't waste my time.

Cus my time is important... it's being spent doing things and stuff.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 78
I will never forget reading the author's notes on one story (on Media Miner, I believe), where the author started out each chapter by ranting at Megan Consoer! Like, "I hate you so much Megan Consoer..." It made me afraid to review for a long time, I didn't want to cheese anyone off like she did...

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 25
I first noticed her on Single Spark, and then ff.net. I even was nice enough to send a reply the first four times, haha. I haven't had her pop up on a story in a while. Wonder what happened to her. It boosted my ego a bit XD

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
MomoDesu wrote:

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 25

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: -666
Let's not forget the canned reviews that some people leave. One gal on another site always leaves me the same review every time. I just sort of appreciate it only to increase my review count at this point.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
knifethrower wrote:
Yeah, when I send out a review that says something inane like "Your story is awesome, you rock!" It's because the story is so good, I wouldn't change a single word, and I am rendered inarticulate with admiration!

I have to agree. While I go enjoy a review that points out things and whatnot and I do leave those kind, there are some cases where all I can say is that I loved it.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 78
Yeah, when I send out a review that says something inane like "Your story is awesome, you rock!" It's because the story is so good, I wouldn't change a single word, and I am rendered inarticulate with admiration!

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 51
MOAR PLZ

^That's the best kind of review!

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 9
I wonder about that too...perhaps that certain person forgot that they weren't logged in. Or it could be that they are just too lazy to log in. (I also hate one word reviews. I like reviews that explain why people liked my particulat story chapter or the story as a whole not a one comment review like "MOAR"....To me that doesn't sound intelligent)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/14 21:20 By InuYoukaiLiz.

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 51
It came off as snipe-y to me. I sent you a message, knifethrower.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 78
I wonder why someone, who is an active member of Dokuga, would post a review without using their pen name. It seems like a cowardly practice...

Logged Logged
sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Reviews 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 32
it could be a registered user who has no published stories... however, I tend to doubt that... they are probably just embarrassed by what they said, or are afraid that someone may counter what they said... I agree though, pretty cowardly.

Logged Logged
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Yeah, I agree with SJS on this one. I went and looked at the review they wrote. Cowardly and embarrassed fit right on here. Just ignore them, hon. If they can't back up their words with a name, they aren't worth even thinking about.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.