Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics
What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I just was reading a forum thread post where they were talking about pet peeves. That got me thinking, what are some things you like and dislike about certain tropes. This will deal with looks, behaviour, use of the characters(characterization) of any of the characters, storylines and anything you can think of. I would like to know so that I could make my stories enjoyable

Logged Logged

I think I screwed up somewhere. Oh well, let the magic begin
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
I have a question in response to this.

Do YOU enjoy your stories?

I don't really mind any of them, some bug me a bit but it's not my story. I'm just along for the ride.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Re:What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Yeah I do enjoy my stories, especially the ones that one I work on in private. Why do you ask?

Logged Logged

I think I screwed up somewhere. Oh well, let the magic begin
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:What are you favourite/disliked tropes in fanfics 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
Because in the end the act of writing isn't for anyone other than the author. If you enjoy the stories you write then others will enjoy them as well. I've been writing on and off since I was young and have a quite a few stories that I've written on here. There are some that I really enjoyed writing and it's noticeable. When you read it, you can tell that I was enjoying it so you feel some of that enjoyment as a reader.

While some, well they just took a lot of, I don't want to say work, but that's what it felt like. I felt like writing it was a job that I wasn't paid for and it wasn't as fun and much like before it's noticeable.

I know I started that first sentence improperly but meh.

So while trying to avoid tropes that people hate you could find yourself writing a story you actually don't like, or perhaps you might enjoy writing the story itself but not enjoy the task of trying to fit your story to select ideas. These are neat writing challenges to help yourself grow as a writer by making you leave your comfort zone but overall I think it would be best to simply write your story, enjoy writing your story, and people will enjoy reading it. You won't please everyone but you're only really trying to let other people see your vision for the story.

Side Note: I rather hate rape as a major plot point but have used it as a minor motivation or perhaps some unseen element of the story that occurred before the first chapter. I'm including it because it allows me to add a slight dramatic tension, even if it's a cheap one, and to explore how to write a character that has suffered from it.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.