Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Should I post a dark story?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Should I post a dark story?
gildedglass
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 7
Hi, I'm Philosophy Blue, and I'm an author on this site you may have seen around once or twice.

My conflict is that I have a dark story saved in my files that's a pet of mine, but I'm not sure whether to post it or not. It would be my first story with mature, explicit scenes (of the lemon kind), and there's also the fact that it's dark. Really, really dark. As in, no hope for shipping. I feel like posting it will expose me, in a way, with all the twisted things in it.

I know this is my choice, but I would appreciate some feedback from authors who have felt the same with posting lemons and dark stories. Will it make me feel more free, or just plain embarrassed?

Thanks!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 37
To be honest dark themed stories rate very high on my list. I always admire authors who have the courage to put themselves out there despite what others may think. If you are not confident with how readers may perceive you as the writer based on the dark, twisted scenes in your story, then I advise you not to do it. Try to remember when you put yourself out there you let in the good and the bad. Some may like it and others might feel disgusted. On the other hand, I would post it. Creative expression whether light or dark does not necessarily implicate an individual. Either way it is your decision to make.

PS: I wouldn't mind reading it.

Logged Logged
Avalei
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
I have read some really dark ones and to be honest I don't mind them. It rare to find really dark stories though. Many authors will put in dark areas that get better but it is not often that the whole story is that way.

I have never judged anyone for the dark stories that get posted since I chose to read them. If that person is sick for posting it then what does that make me for reading it? There is a reason horror and gore movies make a lot of money and just like those types of movies you are going to have people who like and hate them.

If it says dark in the description then whomever reads it has a warning and if they still read it and don't like it then that is their prerogative. I say post it.

Logged Logged
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 37
To be honest dark themed stories rate very high on my list. I always admire authors who have the courage to put themselves out there despite what others may think. If you are not confident with how readers may perceive you as the writer based on the dark, twisted scenes in your story, then I advise you not to do it. Try to remember when you put yourself out there you let in the good and the bad. Some may like it and others might feel disgusted. On the other hand, I would post it. Creative expression whether light or dark does not necessarily implicate an individual. Either way it is your decision to make.

PS: I wouldn't mind reading it.

Logged Logged
ponpiri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 8
kinky boots, eh?

I've read some really good dark fics on here, but it's true that the authors get judged hard. One that was really good ended abruptly because the author was accused of being a pedo that hates Kagome. That's one of the main reasons why I'm thinking of toning down the dark elements in the one I'm working on.

But... if your story is good and you stand by your work, I don't see why not. You could just post it on AFF or AO3 where the audience is sure to be receptive and then migrate it over here once you feel comfortable.

If you post, I'll definitely read it.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
I'd say as long as you post appropriate warnings for the content. Readers can't really complain. Also, I doubt you could get darker than Game of Thrones. George R. R Martin wrote about everything from incest to torture to canabalism. And that's only a few examples. Let's not forget the winter zombies, blood magic, or the hazards of being a mother to a dragon. I think the darkest part of GOT for me had to be Cersei's walk of humiliation, followed closely by Qyburn's experiments.

And there are still darker moments in GOT too.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2017/07/22 06:49 By Pyre.
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 52
As others have said you'll probably be judged fairly harshly on here for works of dark fiction, I know I've been accused of hating Kagome/Women in General with at least a couple of my previous works, despite Kagome being my favorite character of the series.

Maybe post a preview chapter as a oneshot to see how people would react?

Logged Logged

KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Should I post a dark story? 6 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 56
I honestly tend to avoid the truly dark. I can handle the violence and blood, but I have a very difficult time with the more detailed rape scenes. I appreciate it when authors mark their stories with *Rape/ questionable consent* this way I know I'm not avoiding the story just because of the fight scenes. In the ones that I have read though, I have never questioned the motives/sanity of the writer. They were simply worlds that I peeked into and may or may not choose to again.
That being said, you will have people that will comment hurtful things on your writing if you make it too light and fluffy... not everything is to everyone's tastes. If you gave fair warning, heck with them, they still chose to read it. And some people just fancy themselves keyboard psychiatrists, don't let them get to you.
If is is a story that your plunnie has been chewing on your brain about posting, I say go for it. Nothing says if comments start to bother you that you simply can't take it down. At least give it a shot.... won't know until you try.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.