Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 21
Hey guys, so I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. How should I spell the name of Inuyasha's sword? Is it Tetsusaiga? Or Tessaiga?

I was also wondering about Sesshoumaru's name, does it matter if its spelled - Sesshomaru, or Sesshoumaru with the 'u' in it?

And lastly I wanted to know about Kagome's brother's name. Some people spell it Sota, but then others spell it Souta.
I dont know if the spelling on these matter as it might come down to personal preference but I just wanted to be sure. I couldn't find one definite answer on the sites I looked at and wiki isn't always right XD
Thanks! xxxxx

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 154
There wouldn't necessarily be one right spelling because the original names are in Kanji or Hirigana (not sure if I spelled that right) and translated phonetically into Romanji (using English letters). From my understanding the "o" and/or "ou" in Souta and Sesshomaru's names make the same sound in Japanese, so either works. I've seen the same happen with names from lots of other animes (ex: Otori, Ohtori, Ootori from Ouran).

The same is basically true for Inuyasha's sword, except in this case I think the more correct Romanji spelling is Tessaiga, but the company that did the English translation in North America spelled it Tetsusaiga, so you could choose whichever you prefer.

I hope that helps - and if I got it wrong, I hope someone corrects my understanding

Logged Logged
FaerieDearest
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 152
Well, when I'm reading I usually don't bother with the correct names, because in each country it's different.
Anyway, the names you mentioned, I know as Tessaiga, Sesshoumaru and Souta.
PS. Google always correct me when I use Sesshoumaru, so...

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 156
Personally, I feel both Souta and Sesshoumaru should be spelled with the "ou". If we were hypercorrect, it should be spelled with the o with the line on top, e.g. here. The o in Sesshoumaru, Souta, and youkai is a long "o", and it is pronounced different from the normal o e.g. in miko or kimono.

Here are examples of Japanese persons pronouncing Kyoto, which contains both a long and a short o.

When writing in Japanese, they use ou to denote a long o, so it derives straight from there.

Though I suppose exceptions for this would be names that have been established in English, such as Tokyo and Kyoto. Both these city names have long o's in them, so they would be Toukyou and Kyouto, respectively. But since we're used to seeing Tokyo and Kyoto, it would just look silly to us.

Edit: It can be down to preference. If you prefer to spell "Sesshomaru", then by all means do so. But please stick to the spelling option you choose, and spell all other words with long o in them with a normal one, too, e.g. "yokai". Consistency is the key! ^_^

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/01/14 14:42 By Chie.
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help with spelling Inuyasha character names 9 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 21
Thank you so much for the answers guys, I figured it was something to do with the translation but I wasn't quite sure. I think I'll just stick to using the 'u' in Souta and Sesshoumaru's names. As for Inuyasha's sword I think I'll use Tetsusaiga as whenever I hear it the 'Tetsu' sounds more prominent to me, like with Sesshoumaru's sword Tenseiga.
Thanks again xxxxx

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.