Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Writing advice
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Writing advice
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Writing advice 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 59
Ok, in need of opinions from the pros, lol.

I am working hard on completing my first fanfic and its somewhat autobiographical, using a memory of mine to spawn a S/K fic. Being that it is an event I actually lived through, I am writing it in the first person (naturally, Kagome plays my part in the story). However, I find that most fanfics I read are in the third person. Would you say there's a difference? Or that one narrative is better than another when writing fiction? Would you think the story becomes more or less involving if I replaced the "I" (I, being Kagome's character in this case) with a "she"? I realize its probably subjective, but I wanted to get a concensus, hehe.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you, lol. Gah, started out wanting for a one shot thinking it would be easier. Wrong! One shots turned out harder because one has to make something short into something good, lol. At least in a storyline, one can blend in the details, lol. This story is becoming a monster! I've been slacking at work and WoW, braving carpel tunnel for this thing, lol. Plus, its becoming a passion wanting a written detailed account of a heartstopping memory. Its like reliving it with every line. I just hope its as good for readers as it is for me *wink*, lmao. Wish me luck!!

Thanks!!

<3 L

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Writing advice 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
I find that, with the exception of lemon scenes lol, writing in first person is a lot easier but I think on average third is better especially for beginners. First person, to me at least, makes a reader feel more like they are in the story rather than reading it and can be a powerful tool. But on the other hand third person is normally easier.

If you would like to have an example of writing in first person, read a bit from one of my stories, it should show you the differences you were wondering about and could probably explain it better than I could lol. My stories

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Kira Cross
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Writing advice 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 9
well, it just depends on the story, if it involves more than one main character, that it follows third is the best, when it follows one person either is fine.

also third you can show things from an outside perspective, like if you want to show a set up that a main character believes is betrayel third you can show that it was a set up. also with third you can delve into the minds of so many people.

o contraire first person only gives you everything from the point of view of one person and you can use that to hide things and make the story seem like the reader is the person kinda.

but in my own opinion i love delving into the minds of more than one main character, and the stories i write usually have more than one main character that i follow.

so hopefully this helps you and anyone who reads this

Logged Logged
Akiren
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Writing advice 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi~

I couldn't help but to answer this since I'm also a sprouting fic writer and can definitely sympathize with your struggles.

Just like the others have mentioned I too think it depends on the story, sometimes first person perspective makes the story more intimate, if that's the goal one tries to achieve.
I don't see the problem with having multiple characters in the story either. IMO you can choose to make the story in a fashion where you either have first person perspective on all of them or just simply change it to third when your not writing from Kagomes perspective. I've even read stories where the author chose to write in first person for a long time then change into third person for the remaining part of the story. To me it didn't effect the contence or whether I liked it or not.

If you ask me my personal preference though, I must confess I very much enjoy the third person perspective because it gives me the feeling of being 'all knowing' and also I feel more liberated to have my own feelings about Kags/Sess/etc's fate. As opposed to actually read myself 'into character' if you understand what I mean.

I hope you'll find a writing style that'll make you and your muse happy

Good Luck~

//Akiren

Logged Logged
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Writing advice 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 59
Thx guys! I really appreciate all the responses so far. I've even considered taking a key scene from the story and writing it in both POV and seeing which I liked better. Being that its a fiction based upon a true story of mine and my own (Kagome's) experience, I really don't have the POVs of other characters unless I fudge it from scratch, lol. As a beginner, I'm kinda scared of my (in)ability to intergrate more characters w/o botching my intended storyline. Perhaps I'll take a piece of the story and give it a go. What the hell . . . can't hurt trying everything, lol. However, creating another chapter switching into Sesshoumaru's POV sounds like an awesome idea too! I can practice my creative writing rather than just my creative recall, hah! I knew I'd get some inspiration here. I <3 you guys!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.