Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
e-readers - epub output for stories
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: e-readers - epub output for stories
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
e-readers - epub output for stories 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 53
Have this thread here talking about fanfiction on e-readers.

So Authors, what's your opinion on this? It'd probably be another optional thing, like the anonymous comments, that you'd need to enable for each story. Sorry I'm dumping even more stuff on you.

I can only, semi-easily, support epub. Don't know anything about the other formats. Don't have a kindle or iPad to test Amazon/Apple's native formats... so epub it is! (1)

Going along with this, I know that epub supports things like... "Cover Art". So, would ya'll want to also see about getting support for that added in as well? Would probably happen after I'm able to get the main junk written for the epub output, but... at least getting the framework there? (2)

So, thoughts, questions, comments... insults even? Anything... really.

-J

(1) - Well, I do have a Nook Tablet I could theoretically test, but I don't want to re-flash it... I like my newer root'd Android thank you very much. *hrmph*

(2) - I really don't want to fall into the FF.net trap where *everything* shows artwork now. And the users profile pic if there's no artwork set? No... just no.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
sarhea
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:e-readers - epub output for stories 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
Cover art - the Dokuga logo? the one on the top left of the pages would be distinctive and standard indication of where the fic was downloaded from.

And the first/second page the details of the story. The one that is on the 'Recent' or 'Stories' page - title, summary, rating, words count, categories, etc. a hyper link to the actual story on the site.
Not sure how easy it is to append that information but I know fanfictiondownloader attachs the author and summary information in the meta properties.

And I know some writers format their work, I think it may be necessary to strip that formatting to a standard font and size that is easily readable on an e-reader, like Verdana or Arial. What is readable on a monitor is not on a kinda grainy small screen.

Just my thoughts.

Logged Logged

... Cheers, sarhea
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.