Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
A tiny lil bug and some suggestions
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: A tiny lil bug and some suggestions
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:A tiny lil bug and some suggestions 15 Years ago Karma: 51
First of all, thank you for your input. It helps a lot because if things go awry, I can always say "You asked for it!"

1. What part of the site does this happen on?

2. Comments were done like this more or less on purpose. We were going to have it be threaded, but after Demonlordlover and I talked about it, there's an uncanny tendency for comment areas with public direct replies to become open drama zones anf flame wars. However, I like the idea also, but a lot of people would really dislike it. People have also suggested that they wanted the ability to turn reviews off for their work, so I think it would please everyone if they could, for each story, choose review mode - flat like it is, threaded like you suggest, or off.

3. I don't know that a 'showcase' would be fair unless it was fairly random, with conditions. The veteran idea is cool though. Like, we could have showcases for people with 1-5 pieces of art, 6-10, 10-15. The people who make the most fanart would still gain the most exposure, because there are fewer of them, but the system doesn't play favorites.

4. We're definitely going to get that done.

5. There's a funny story behind that. It used to be 'Chapter Stories,' 'Oneshots and Drabbles,' and 'Collections of Oneshots and Drabbles.' When we were redesigning the site, the longer title broke up the layout on the listing page where the filters are. There was no way to fit it without putting one box on a line by itself. So, we decided to truncate it to 'Oneshot Collections,' but then it didn't make sense to have Drabbles, but no Drabble Collections.

The technical distinction between a single oneshot and a single drabble is wordcount, I think, and I'm not sure that most people know exactly the difference. Off the top of my head, I don't. And drabbles are sort of oneshots in the most literal sense (ignoring the fanfiction definition for them), so we left them together and just called them oneshots.

All because it wouldn't fit.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Teensie-Sama
Pup
graphgraph
Re:A tiny lil bug and some suggestions 15 Years ago Karma: 0
*teensie hides*

I am guilty of showing off the behinds of the likes of Sesh and Kag
sowwwwweeee..... it's all rOo's fault. She took the door of the GM
cage and now the beast won't be controlled. No way of shoving it back in
since there is no door. Go hunt her down....

^_^

rOo...all your fault!! *points at rOo* (it's ur bday so you should
be able to get away with anything! I'll give you a naraku doll if you
take the fall....well, technically, it IS your fault

Logged Logged
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:A tiny lil bug and some suggestions 15 Years ago Karma: 15
Miss Kagura wrote:
First of all, thank you for your input. It helps a lot because if things go awry, I can always say "You asked for it!"

Heh, yep any and all bad ideas in this thread are entirely mine. *stamps with copyright*

1. What part of the site does this happen on?

Happens only on the chapter edit page for each story. Nowhere else that I've seen.

2. Comments were done like this more or less on purpose. We were going to have it be threaded, but after Demonlordlover and I talked about it, there's an uncanny tendency for comment areas with public direct replies to become open drama zones anf flame wars. However, I like the idea also, but a lot of people would really dislike it. People have also suggested that they wanted the ability to turn reviews off for their work, so I think it would please everyone if they could, for each story, choose review mode - flat like it is, threaded like you suggest, or off.

I think that idea is a good one. As for flames, well..Welcome to the Internet folks there are always going to be ****heads who flame, but being able to turn off reviews and have some kind of control over it when you do accept reviews would be awesome.

3. I don't know that a 'showcase' would be fair unless it was fairly random, with conditions. The veteran idea is cool though. Like, we could have showcases for people with 1-5 pieces of art, 6-10, 10-15. The people who make the most fanart would still gain the most exposure, because there are fewer of them, but the system doesn't play favorites.

Yep, but it wouldn't just be for fanart, but fanfiction as well. The thought struck me because of the "recommendations" section of the forum really. People who update and create new stories often get a lot of focus on the front page. However, there are people who don't post so often (or as much) who have some really great stories. So, I figured (aside from the forum section) it would be nice to randomly highlight authors in some way.

It would be ideal if the system could handle it like you stated above, so the 'playing favorites' aspect of things is at least lessened.

4. We're definitely going to get that done.

Cool.

5. There's a funny story behind that. It used to be 'Chapter Stories,' 'Oneshots and Drabbles,' and 'Collections of Oneshots and Drabbles.' When we were redesigning the site, the longer title broke up the layout on the listing page where the filters are. There was no way to fit it without putting one box on a line by itself. So, we decided to truncate it to 'Oneshot Collections,' but then it didn't make sense to have Drabbles, but no Drabble Collections.

The technical distinction between a single oneshot and a single drabble is wordcount, I think, and I'm not sure that most people know exactly the difference. Off the top of my head, I don't. And drabbles are sort of oneshots in the most literal sense (ignoring the fanfiction definition for them), so we left them together and just called them oneshots.

All because it wouldn't fit.

Ahh, now it all makes sense. Yeah, I see the reasoning behind it now. It's just that I see some folks post something under the "Chapter Stories" category and then say in the summary "Drabbles". So in my muddled wisdom I thought, "hey! what about a drabble category!". Honestly, I don't know what the true definition of a drabble is either. I also figured it was word count plus the fact that it's a complete story. The "drabble" needs to stand on it's own (a clear beginning, middle, and end), not just be short in length. So yeah, I guess it is just a mini-oneshot.

Logged Logged

::::::::::::::::
I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three Im under the table, after four Im under my host.
- Dorothy Parker
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
Teensie-Sama wrote:
*teensie hides*

I am guilty of showing off the behinds of the likes of Sesh and Kag
sowwwwweeee..... it's all rOo's fault. She took the door of the GM
cage and now the beast won't be controlled. No way of shoving it back in
since there is no door. Go hunt her down....

^_^

rOo...all your fault!! *points at rOo* (it's ur bday so you should
be able to get away with anything! I'll give you a naraku doll if you
take the fall....well, technically, it IS your fault

Somehow I knew this was the case. *sigh* GMs are rolling all over the fanart section of the front page.

Logged Logged

- Dorothy Parker
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
A tiny lil bug and some suggestions 15 Years ago Karma: 15
Hey Kagura.

A few things I've noticed...

1. Bug: When you edit a story use italics (<i></i> tag in HTML) for me it has a tendency to put an extra space after the end of the italicized portion if you use a comma (e.g., I like to woohoo , but only in The Sims.) The only way I could fix it was by italicizing the comma as well. Editing the HTML to remove the space or using the rich text editor to remove it didn't work.

2. Suggestion: It would be nice if (like on deviantart.com) I could reply to review comments in the same interface where they are viewed? And when I reply to a comment someone has given they receive an email notification about it (if they choose to receive notifications that is). Why? Well I like to respond to folks who took the time to leave me a review, especially if they have a question, but the only way to do that is to leave a comment in the review area and hope they read it, PM them, or put an AN in my story to address the comment. It would be nice if review/feedback was more centralized and reciprocal.

3. Suggestion: Showcased author/artist? Yeah, I'm stealing from deviantart again, but hell it's a nice idea. It would be awesome if we could have a monthly "showcased author/artist" where their body of work is given focus. Hrmm, honestly I haven't worked out the logistics of it all yet to make it fair (perhaps folks can nominate authors/artists and those with the most nominations are featured. And any people who have been "showcased" can only be featured once a year?). Also, we could have one for "veteran" authors (folks who have been on the scene for awhile) and one for "new" authors (folks who have just bust onto the scene).

4. Suggestion: Smut filter for fanart. As much as I love to see Sesshomaru bare-ass naked in enticing poses , the more risque art probably shouldn't scroll by on the front page. People should be able to mark the art as "adult" so that when it scrolls by on the front page a placeholder "warning" image is shown as opposed to a smaller image of their artwork.

5. Suggestion: There is a "Oneshots Collection" category but not a "Drabble" or "Drabble Collection" category. Why make the distinction? Well there is a difference between the two (at least in my brain) plus we nominate for "Best Drabble" so shouldn't there be a category for it?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/04 05:33 By DaiyoukaiGeisha.

- Dorothy Parker
LuxKen27
Pup
graphgraph
Re:A tiny lil bug and some suggestions 15 Years ago Karma: 5
DaiyoukaiGeisha wrote:
Ahh, now it all makes sense. Yeah, I see the reasoning behind it now. It's just that I see some folks post something under the "Chapter Stories" category and then say in the summary "Drabbles". So in my muddled wisdom I thought, "hey! what about a drabble category!". Honestly, I don't know what the true definition of a drabble is either. I also figured it was word count plus the fact that it's a complete story. The "drabble" needs to stand on it's own (a clear beginning, middle, and end), not just be short in length. So yeah, I guess it is just a mini-oneshot.

I have drabble collections where; I post them as "oneshot collections" because, well, they are collections plus I don't want to get it trouble for posting too-short of chapters.

A true drabble is a story that's exactly 100 words long. Some people are very, very strict about this definition; however, for the rest of us (and for the purposes of most awards guilds these days), a drabble is defined as a story that's less than 500 words long. It should be able to stand by itself, but a grand majority of people who write for contests and the like tend to quasi-serialize their pieces - so to understand them, you have to read previous drabbles. It's very tough to condense a story down to 500 words or less, but there are some folks who excel at short form

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/04 09:18 By LuxKen27.
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
DaiyoukaiGeisha wrote:
Suggestion: It would be nice if (like on deviantart.com) I could reply to review comments in the same interface where they are viewed? And when I reply to a comment someone has given they receive an email notification about it (if they choose to receive notifications that is). Why? Well I like to respond to folks who took the time to leave me a review, especially if they have a question, but the only way to do that is to leave a comment in the review area and hope they read it, PM them, or put an AN in my story to address the comment. It would be nice if review/feedback was more centralized and reciprocal.

I think this is a good idea, 'cause a lot of people ask questions in reviews, but I also see how some people might not want that. So, I like the idea that you should be able to choose which kind of review thread you want to have, or if you want to have one at all.

Just my opinion

Logged Logged

“It is impolite to stare, miko,” he said, his smile gone, bringing Kagome back down to earth.

Oh, hello earth, how are you? She addressed the planet in a daze. Just got back from whatever parallel universe I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d fallen into, did you know Sesshoumaru smiles there? Weird.

~Of Gods and Demons
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.