Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Conflicted New Author Needing Advice
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Conflicted New Author Needing Advice
KBloody
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I recently ventured into my first foray into writing fanfic. I decided on something angsty and all together depressing for my first fic and successfully managed to stick to that goal... but upon it's completion, I realized that it was a story that I could see potential readers asking for a sequel so they can get their HEA. (Something, that as a reader, I've noticed reviewers do a lot.)

The problem I've run into is this: I originally intended for these characters NOT to have a happy ending and when discussing this potential sequel with a family member they asked me why I was giving them one. I suppose, if I'm honest with myself, it will be mostly for the readers. But I continue to be incredibly conflicted, so I wrote two different endings: The potential HEA (and honestly the original ending I had for it) and the much bleaker one that was inspired by my discussion with my family member (and one that stayed true to tone I had been originally aiming for when I started writing the first part of it.)

My question is this: As a reader, would you be angry/disappointed reading through something that gives the impression of a happily ever after, thinking it's the end, only to be hit with one final chapter that basically shatters everything you just read? Have any of you run into stories like this in the past? What were your feelings on them? If you had liked them up to that point, did you still like them afterwards?
This would be why I'm so conflicted. I myself have read stories like this in the past and, well... I remember being left feeling incredibly bitter (yes, double standards I know. I'm sorta weird like that)

I truly do want to write for myself, but at the same time I want people to enjoy it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, because it's driving me absolutely bananas.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
QuothTheDragon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 6
I've always seen writing as an outlet for my emotions and an exercise in creativity. The story goes how I want it to, unless it is intended to be something that readers have input in. I guess it boils down to what you want for your characters. Do you want them to have a happy ending? If so, then write it. If you feel that your story requires them to have a not-so-happy ending, then write that. Life isn't always pretty or happy. Happiness comes from within, but (in the US at least) we tend to be a very ending oriented culture. If there is some moral or message from the story that requires the ending to be sad, then go through with it if you want to.

Whatever you do, stick to your guns and don't let anyone intimidate you. I hope I helped. =)

Logged Logged
KBloody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for the input so far.

At this point, I don't feel as if I'm being forced into writing a happy ending, I had originally had it that ways anyways. It's just when the potential for a twisted ending was planted, I couldn't not write it. In fact, I remember laughing a bit to myself thinking, 'that is sorta sick.'

I guess it boils down to being a little scared that it'll be poorly received.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
Simply put, it's your story. Write it the way that you want to write it. Don't force yourself to write something that doesn't make you happy.

Logged Logged
Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Ahh, this brings up one of my favorite stories:

Tales From the House of the Moon by Resmiranda.

(Spoils) Kagome dies, in the end... Surely every reader wanted her to live and have a happy ending with Sessh... but she didn't write it like that. She wrote it in her way, she wrote her vision. Did I wish it had a different ending? Yes, I sort of do. But in respect for her vision-- I enjoyed it to the very last word. I continued to read the last few chapters despite my favorite damsel and heroine dies, simply because the author wished it so.

Readers loved her stories, then when it in progress and now even years after it has been completed. Despite what the ending may be, as long as the story has plot, depth and character development... it really doesn't matter.

And if you do get poor reviews because you wanted to write it your way, well... not everyone likes every single detail of a story. Even a classic like Cinderella or Little Mermaid has continuous critiques.

You can't write to satisfy everyone, only yourself.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
KBloody wrote:
Thanks for the input so far.

At this point, I don't feel as if I'm being forced into writing a happy ending, I had originally had it that ways anyways. It's just when the potential for a twisted ending was planted, I couldn't not write it. In fact, I remember laughing a bit to myself thinking, 'that is sorta sick.'

I guess it boils down to being a little scared that it'll be poorly received.

You shouldn't worry about poor reception. Some of my favorite pieces that I've done got terrible reception, but I really didn't care since it made me happy.

Write for you, don't worry about anyone else. Isn't that the point of this being a hobby, something that makes you happy?

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 56
I agree with the comments above, it's your story, take it the way you think it needs to go.
Personally, I dislike 'not happy' endings. I like to leave a story feeling better after reading it, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea. I've only read one story where it didn't have a happy ending and the author really gave no warning for it. The reviews were not pleasant because people weren't prepared for the story to go that direction.
I've read some that gave 2 alternate endings, with proper warnings at the top of each. What about trying that? (as long as it doesn't conflict with Dokuga's TOS)

Logged Logged

KBloody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Yeah, I was leaning towards supplying two different endings. The only difficulties with that is I fully intended for the 'bleaker' ending (as I call it in my head) to totally sideswipe people and didn't want to warn people. But at the same time, it almost seems unfair to not do that.

Personally, I understand you dislike KEdakumi for 'not happy' endings, because I'm the same way. I've had stories that straight up ruined my day, and I really don't want to be the ruiner in this case.

My head tells me the 'bleaker' is a hellavu interesting way to end a story, but my gut is telling me to go with the happy ending. I think it'll be good for not only the readers, but myself as well. Break me outta that 'woe is me' mindset for a change.

Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Conflicted New Author Needing Advice 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
I don't mind either way, happy or sad endings, really. I mean if I can reason it out, and the author sorta leads me in the direction of either happy or sad but I can understand how the characters got there then yeah that's fine. Sure everyone likes the happy ending, but I prefer a more fulfilling ending, as in I like to be able to follow the line of logic throughout the story and understand how it got to be either happy or sad. It's the continuity that I like the most, the keeping of the theme, and yeah the inevitable write-out of however the author wants it to be.

I mean if the story was Sess and Kagome going to the beach for the day and suddenly they end up on Mars fighting off an invasion of gigantic green space-peanuts I'd be pretty confused.

So yeah if you want to write happy or sad for your ending it's really up to you as an author. Sure I like happy endings too but I don't mind the sad ones either. It's whether or not the author can make a tight, understandable, and logical sequence of events that will get me to either end that I find the most interesting. It's not really the ending for me its the journey to get to that ending that counts the most.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.