Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The best way to write a fanfiction?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: The best way to write a fanfiction?
tearsofacrescent
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The best way to write a fanfiction? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I've been writing fanfictions for a long, long time.
This is how you were (dokuga/fanfiction.net)
This is how you are now (fanficton.net soon coming to dokuga)
My Protector(fanfiction.net only)
My Allegiance (fanficton.net only)
To See the Unnoticed When Blind (dokuga and fanfiction.net)
Slave of My Heart (dokuga and fanfiction.net)

And I've written all of these stories the same way. A chapter at a time, but I find myself wanting to go back and edit them ALL OF THE FREAKING TIME!!!!! And I'm not sure what would be the best way to write in this case. One chapter at a time, or finish the entire story and upload it weekly or something. So I'd have it all finished already, written and edited over a period of months (like I've done with my original stories)

Has anyone attempted to this and how did it work for you if you did?
Or if you've tried it and the whole, chapter by chapter, which did you like?

Also, if this is posted in the wrong... area, I apologize. I'm not one to visit forums often. ^,^;

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The best way to write a fanfiction? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 56
I' ve tried to do one chapter at a time (Lord Fuzzy) and it just didn't work for me. I like to have all our almost all of the story written. (While You Still Think You Know Everything) A big part of the reason being that I may come up with a twist that needs some set up in earlier chapters our maybe have to plug a plot hole or tie a loose end. Thee have also been times that the plot bunny abandons ship (Sesshoumaru's Gift: The Courting) and it takes so long to track the bugger down.

Logged Logged

SonofZhon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The best way to write a fanfiction? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I am a big believer in finishing a story in its entirety before posting. Every effort should be made to close plot holes, increase detail, clarify any sentences that are poorly written and so forth. After that, I proof read it, then give it to a beta reader, then proof read it again while waiting for the beta to finish reviewing. Even then, I find that I make mistakes but it goes a long way toward eliminating most of them.

Naturally after I am satisfied that I have ironed out 99% of the wrinkles then I post start posting chapters while at the same time being on the look out for mistakes.

Logged Logged
tearsofacrescent
Pup
graphgraph
KEdakumi- I'm so glad that someone's done both! I kept arguing back and forth, seeing as how my brain is just screaming "EDIT THE WHOLE DARN THING!" So from now on, I think I'll just have to finish whole stories rather than trying to do them one chapter at a time. Thank you!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/09/18 21:12 By tearsofacrescent.
tearsofacrescent
Pup
graphgraph
SonofZhon wrote:
I am a big believer in finishing a story in its entirety before posting. Every effort should be made to close plot holes, increase detail, clarify any sentences that are poorly written and so forth. After that, I proof read it, then give it to a beta reader, then proof read it again while waiting for the beta to finish reviewing. Even then, I find that I make mistakes but it goes a long way toward eliminating most of them.

Naturally after I am satisfied that I have ironed out 99% of the wrinkles then I post start posting chapters while at the same time being on the look out for mistakes.

Thank you SonofZhon for your advice. I think I'm going to give this a shot from now on then. I also like the idea of having a beta reader. I'd never actually thought about it before. :3 That's a great idea!

Logged Logged
Sakura Dragon
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The best way to write a fanfiction? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12
I haven't written any chaptered stories yet (I do have several with bits and pieces written here and there) but the ones that I want to write are going to be fully completed when I start posting them. Also, I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist and have to know in detail where my story is going and come up with a detailed plot before I start writing (which is why I've been stuck for ages in a timeline loophole in one of my stories). I don't like to start something and not know where it's going to end.

Logged Logged

I claimed Bankotsu\'s braided hair in The Claim Game
\"A lie is more comfortable than doubt, more useful than love, more lasting than truth.\"
— Gabriel García Márquez
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The best way to write a fanfiction? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Sakura Dragon wrote:
I haven't written any chaptered stories yet (I do have several with bits and pieces written here and there) but the ones that I want to write are going to be fully completed when I start posting them. Also, I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist and have to know in detail where my story is going and come up with a detailed plot before I start writing (which is why I've been stuck for ages in a timeline loophole in one of my stories). I don't like to start something and not know where it's going to end.

Yah I do that too. I only really just take the fanfic by the horns and write it out, no plans, and no proofing until I write myself out of the chapter or drabble. I don't worry about complicated stuff like continuities, characterisation, and plotholes. I just write until the ficlet or chapter is complete and than edit, proof, and post it. Simple. I try not to think too much about the complicated stuff, unless my readers point out a flaw, or something that confuses them. I take notice then, since their reviews help me to iron out the problems with my own writing.

I still do just see fanfic as practice for writing really. It's probably why I try to take the characters seriously enough to be faithful to my interpretation of them throughout my ficlets. Sesshy for example is always arrogant, Kagome sweet and innocent, Inuyasha temperamental and foul-mouthed but caring, Shippo's a brat, Sango is superwoman Feudal-Era style, and Miroku is a chronic-flirt with charm and manners.

Yah, nice and simple.

I'd do chapter ficlets, but I prefer drabbles, and writing oneshots. They're shorter, and less of a headache to proof. Anything between one and five thousand words I can proof easily. Larger than that and it could take me a half a day, or longer. I just try to do what I can that's reasonable within a certain timeframe to check the spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Oddly enough the characters seem to just take care of themselves. It's the missing words, commas, or the fullstops that drive me crazy XD, especially when I miss them after proofing and rereading the same page forty times.

XD, perfectionism hurts my eyes X__x.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/09/19 02:12 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.