Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Question about making up names....
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Question about making up names....
Tiegrsi
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Question about making up names.... 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
So, I want to have a new story line which will greatly involve the Inu brother's father, and (Sesshoumaru's) mother. Some people have used names that have "caught on" such as Inu no Taisho and such...but I would prefer to make my own names for them.

After hours of searching through baby names, translators, other animes, facebook pages, etc etc I have decided I like these two:

Kyodainu = Kyodai (enormous) inu (dog)
Yamichou = Yami (darkness) Chou (female name meaning butterfly)

My difficulty is that I am combining things that probably are NOT compatible (like dropping an I from Inupapa's proposed name because my western mind doesn't like two i's next to each other). Also I have no idea if these are proper translations of Japanese, Kanji, Katakana, etc.

Can anyone tell me if I am an idiot for trying to combine these words or let me know if they have a better translation for "giant dog" (or phantom dog, or dog ruler, or western dog - I tried them all out!) and "dark butterfly" (or butterfly of darkness or something)?

I'd super appreciate any help or comments!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
FallenTenchi
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Question about making up names.... 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 9
I've been looking on the internet and I found certain Translation for you.

The translation to enormous dog is "Kyodaina Inu". As for phantom dog, I found "Maboroshi no inu" (I personally like this one alot) or if you want ruler dog you would find "Jogi Inu". I also found that Western dog means "Seibu Inu".

So the choice is yours for the inu uncle.

As for Sesshomaru's mother - and as per the anime and manga - she is known as Lady Mother that translate to "Josei no Hahaoya"(which is not what Jaken calls her in the anime but I don't understand exactly what he calls her). Some fans have name her "Inukimi" but if you are really looking for your own name Dark Butterfly translated to japanese is "Kurai Cho" and if you want Butterfly of Darkness is "Yami No Cho".

again it is up to you.

Hopefully that helps.

FT

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Question about making up names.... 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 156
FallenTenchi wrote:
As for phantom dog, I found "Maboroshi no inu" (I personally like this one alot)or if you want ruler dog you would find "Jogi Inu".

As for Sesshomaru's mother - and as per the anime and manga - she is known as Lady Mother that translate to "Josei no Hahaoya"(which is not what Jaken calls her in the anime but I don't understand exactly what he calls her). Some fans have name her "Inukimi" but if you are really looking for your own name Dark Butterfly translated to japanese is "Kurai Cho" and if you want Butterfly of Darkness is "Yami No Cho".

"Maboroshi" at least in my dictionary translates to 'phantom, vision, illusion, dream'. I don't know what kind of phantom you are looking for, but I think this word is primarily used for 'illusion', not the ghost-kind of phantom.
And when I checked up "jougi" (out of curiosity, as I had never heard the word before), I discovered it means ruler - as in the type with which you measure things.

I don't think "Josei no hahaoya" means Lady mother, judging on what Sessmama's actual adress is in the anime, and by the fact that "josei" means '(young) woman'. What Sessmama is adressed in the anime and manga is "Haha-ue", where "haha" means 'mother' and "ue" means (at least literally it does) 'above, higher' and this, I understand, has often been translated as "Lady Mother".

As for the Dark Butterfly, I'd recommend to stick with "yami", since I believe "kurai" has negative connotations, such as 'gloomy'. Unless, of course, you want to go for that effect.

I'm not really good enough in Japanese to help with the names, since I don't really know many kanji, and usually when several kanji are combined, the "secondary" readings are used. But go with what feels good to you. :3 Trust the gut instinct and what sounds good.

Translation is a tricky business, and sometimes the word you find from dictionary is not the right one to use. One should even consider carefully what dictionary to use. Just a piece of advice from a student of translation studies.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.