Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 39
Thank you Wiccan! *hugs*

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Freya Ishtar wrote:
Okay, I don't think this is against the rules, and it may prove to be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway:

Is there any problem with plugging one of your own stories in your A/N? Not just like 'readers for 'such and such' story please be advised the next chapter will be out at -blah, blah- date', but like if you post a story that is a continuation, or expansion of a one-shot, is it okay to suggest to readers that they may want to read the other story first?

Also, I understand that we can't reply directly to a review in our author's notes, but I am wondering something: if you receive a bunch of reviews that all basically make the same comment about a scene or what have you, can you make a general statement regarding what the observation was? Okay, an example so I'm not putting my foot in my mouth: If you're using a scientific field as a back drop for your fic and you get a bunch of responses (definitely more than just 2) that say something like 'you clearly did your homework on -blah, blah sciencey-stuff-' and you want to simply say 'thank you to everyone that thinks I know so much about 'blah, blah sciencey-stuff', lol, but really I just have no life and watch a lot of discovery channel programs'. Since it's not replying directly to any single review is it still against the rules?

For the record, I've not done this, but I'm wondering if it is a problem so I don't end up doing it at some point in the future, since I do like to acknowledge feedback and don't always have the time to post on ppl's walls or PM them.

First, aside from Review Demands and Review/Reviewer Responses, you can say darn near anything your little heart desires in your Author's Notes - provided it doesn't go over 300 words.

Basically, pimp yourself to your heart's content!!

Second, GENERALIZED responses to reviews/reviewers, like the example you gave above, are A-OK.

The problem comes in when you are responding by name to reviewers, or listing your reviewers. I know you've seen it... it was rampant on A Single Spark, it is still rampant on ff.net... whole lists of people's names with individualized responses to each, or just whole lists of names. These things are Not Good. Anything of a general nature, without specifically singling out people by name, is okay.

Hope this helps clarify things!

~~Wiccan~~
PS - The prohibition on "responses" does NOT include DEDICATIONS to people. If you wish to dedicate a chapter or a story to a particularly helpful or loyal reader, by all mean, DO SO!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/26 13:29 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: correcting capitalization

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 39
Okay, I don't think this is against the rules, and it may prove to be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask anyway:

Is there any problem with plugging one of your own stories in your A/N? Not just like 'readers for 'such and such' story please be advised the next chapter will be out at -blah, blah- date', but like if you post a story that is a continuation, or expansion of a one-shot, is it okay to suggest to readers that they may want to read the other story first?

Also, I understand that we can't reply directly to a review in our author's notes, but I am wondering something: if you receive a bunch of reviews that all basically make the same comment about a scene or what have you, can you make a general statement regarding what the observation was? Okay, an example so I'm not putting my foot in my mouth: If you're using a scientific field as a back drop for your fic and you get a bunch of responses (definitely more than just 2) that say something like 'you clearly did your homework on -blah, blah sciencey-stuff-' and you want to simply say 'thank you to everyone that thinks I know so much about 'blah, blah sciencey-stuff', lol, but really I just have no life and watch a lot of discovery channel programs'. Since it's not replying directly to any single review is it still against the rules?

For the record, I've not done this, but I'm wondering if it is a problem so I don't end up doing it at some point in the future, since I do like to acknowledge feedback and don't always have the time to post on ppl's walls or PM them.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/26 12:27 By Freya Ishtar.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Can My Story REALLY Be Deleted Because of My Author’s Notes?

Now, to answer the question posed in this tutorial!

The short answer is: YES.

Why?

Well, the long answer is that Dokuga has several rules pertaining to Author’s Notes, and we like to enforce our rules. It just seems to make the whole experience that much more enjoyable for our readers.

WHAT NOT TO DO

#1 Most violated rule: Length

Please understand that, on this site, ANYTHING other than actual story is considered as "author's notes." Story titles, authors' names, chapter titles and disclaimers for InuYasha are AUTOMATICALLY displayed - thus they are redundant when you type them in and are counted as part of your author's note.

Author’s Notes MUST be limited to 300 words or less. Don’t put your story summary in every chapter. It’s redundant and unnecessary. Don’t carry on imaginary conversations with the characters, it’s distracting. Try not to ramble on for more than 300 words about whatever is on your mind at the time... trust me, it just detracts from your story. Although you are perfectly welcome to do so under our rules, filling up that 300 words with things that have no bearing on your story just takes away from the overall flow of the story itself. As long as there are no Review Demands, or Review Responses, in your Author's Note, you ARE welcome to use that 300 words however you see fit... but I am asking that you don't do some of these things that others find most annoying.

#2 Most Violated Rule: Author’s Notes as Standalone Chapters

I think we can all agree that, as readers, few things are more frustrating than to see that a favorite story has been updated, only to find an Author’s Note instead of a chapter.

If you feel the need to alert your readers to an absence, or explain that you are editing or rewriting things, post it in your Profile, at the end of your last chapter, or perhaps post it in the forum under Off Topic.

#3 Most Violated Rule: Review Responses

DO NOT respond to your reviewers in your Author’s Notes, no matter how short you make them. This, too, is not permitted. Do not even merely list your reviewers' names. If your reviewers are members, use the Private Messaging system, or a Wall post on their profile for your responses. If you wish to be able to respond to anonymous reviewers, please use your Author’s Note to request that anonymous reviewers include an email if they have questions they’d like answered.

GENERAL acknowledgment of the receipt of reviews is perfectly acceptable. Just don't mention specific reviews or reviewers in your Author's Notes. This DOES NOT mean you can't DEDICATE a story to specific people, however.

#4 Most Violated Rule: Review Demands

NOT ALLOWED. Period. This issue will be covered in its entirety in another tutorial.

Where Author's Notes Belong:

In addition to the above, please remember that Author's Notes belong ONLY at the beginning or end of a story chapter. DO NOT litter your story with Author's Notes throughout, or you will receive a warning.

PLEASE, take these rules to heart and remember them when posting your stories. It will make my life easier, your life easier, and may just save your story from possible deletion. When you are warned of a rules violation, you are given SEVEN days to correct the violation. After that, your story will, most likely, be deleted if it is not corrected.

Thank you all for your kind attention. If you have any questions regarding this or other rules, please either consult the rules, posted here: http://dokuga.com/rules, or contact me!

~~Wiccan~~
PS - If you even THINK this tutorial might apply to something you’ve previously posted, please be so kind as to go back through and check it.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/03/30 01:03 By wiccanmethuselah.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 216
i do have a question about this, older fic's like once posted 2 years ago when the site first got started, this AN limitation was not in place, i know this rule isnt TOTALY new but are you all going back and looking at older fics as well or just from here out, since this rule was put in place?

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
sugar0o wrote:
i do have a question about this, older fic's like once posted 2 years ago when the site first got started, this AN limitation was not in place, i know this rule isnt TOTALY new but are you all going back and looking at older fics as well or just from here out, since this rule was put in place?

Actually the rule has been in place from the very beginning, but was not enforced.

My feeling is that, when I come upon a story that has those violations, I will still - most likely - warn. Whether or not I still delete will be predicated on how old the story is and whether or not the author is still active.

In addition, I have yet another tool at my disposal... Administrative Edit.

Yes, I am not above using my Site Admin powers to pare down excessive Author's Notes if I cannot get through to an author. As I said, it depends on the age of the story and the amount of time that it's been since the author has been active. I will evaluate all on a case by case basis.

Hope this helps!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Ladyfifi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
I must confess, I was totally unaware of this rule (A/N being 300 words or less) I'm sure one or two chapters of mine have a few more words than allowed and I will go fix them. But, I just wanted to say, that I appreciate how well this site is run. I know to some, that the rules may sound strict, but I think it keeps the site a GOOD site. I know its an incentive for me to write better and post well-written stories. So thanks.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Ladyfifi wrote:
I must confess, I was totally unaware of this rule (A/N being 300 words or less) I'm sure one or two chapters of mine have a few more words than allowed and I will go fix them. But, I just wanted to say, that I appreciate how well this site is run. I know to some, that the rules may sound strict, but I think it keeps the site a GOOD site. I know its an incentive for me to write better and post well-written stories. So thanks.

I am delighted that you not only took the time to read my tutorials, but are taking them to heart!!!!!!! Thank you so very much!

I'm glad you find the site well-run, we do try our best. And you're quite welcome!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

advi
Pup
graphgraph
Oh dear, my fic Traveling with Sesshoumaru definitely breaks the rules of the site with the authors notes at the end of each chapter. At first I just posted them in their original form, just like how I had initally posted them on Fanfiction, but now that I have learnt that they have violated the rules of this site I will have to change them.

Oh my, I wished I had learnt this sooner.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
I am so sorry!! Would you like me to assist you in identifying the chapters where there are problems? Those, of course, are the only ones you'd need to change.

*sigh* There are times when I wish the Site Rules were at the top of the page with a large, neon, blinking sign to attract people's attention. Yes, they are strict, but I cannot help but feel that the site benefits from then, you know?

Let me know if I can assist you in reviewing your Author's Notes... I would be happy to do so.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

advi
Pup
graphgraph
Thanks for the offer, but I feel that I should be a responsible author and do the corrections myself. But not tonight though... its almost 11pm my time. I hope you won't mind if I do them tomorrow? Hehe, I hope my story will still be on because I do know I have quite a few authors notes with very long 'imaginary' conversations!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
advi wrote:
Thanks for the offer, but I feel that I should be a responsible author and do the corrections myself. But not tonight though... its almost 11pm my time. I hope you won't mind if I do them tomorrow? Hehe, I hope my story will still be on because I do know I have quite a few authors notes with very long 'imaginary' conversations!

Oh, silly girl... don't worry. Your story will be right where you left it tomorrow. I haven't even issued you a warning and, when I do, I give everyone seven days to make the necessary corrections... or longer if they contact me.

To correct a misconception, though, your imaginary conversations are not against the rules... I'll have to change the wording in that tutorial. That was meant as a suggestion of what NOT to do. As long as you don't go over the 300 words, have no reviewer response or review demands, you can prattle on however you see fit!

Like I said, no worries. As long as I know you're going to work on removing anything over the 300 words, I'm as happy as can be!! Thanks so much for reading these and taking the initiative!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

advi
Pup
graphgraph
Thank you Wiccan, and you are welcome

Logged Logged
DeadlyCyanide
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 4
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
I am so sorry!! Would you like me to assist you in identifying the chapters where there are problems? Those, of course, are the only ones you'd need to change.

*sigh* There are times when I wish the Site Rules were at the top of the page with a large, neon, blinking sign to attract people's attention. Yes, they are strict, but I cannot help but feel that the site benefits from then, you know?

Let me know if I can assist you in reviewing your Author's Notes... I would be happy to do so.

~~Wiccan~~
. Rofl trying so hard not to pee self. Wiccan you just discribed what flys would be attracted to LOL but the sad thing is people love shiney so that would be Internet shiney to us humans aka sesshoumaru would ignore watch out for him

Logged Logged

~~CherrySakuras~~
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 277
~CherrySakuras~ wrote:
Rofl trying so hard not to pee self. Wiccan you just discribed what flys would be attracted to LOL but the sad thing is people love shiney so that would be Internet shiney to us humans aka sesshoumaru would ignore watch out for him

Glad you got a kick out of it!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

DeadlyCyanide
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 4
Indeed it was but baru ended up waking to me loling to hard

Logged Logged

~~CherrySakuras~~
Kar
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dokuga Author's Tutorial: Author's Notes 11 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
thank you for the heads up, lord knows i dont want to have any of my stories deleted!
KAR

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.