Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
So many updates, so little time
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: So many updates, so little time
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
So many updates, so little time 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12
Heeeeyyyy~

So I started getting back into heavily writing fanfiction about a year or so ago. Mind you, when I first started I was in highschool. I was that kid who didn't pay attention in class and got all A's ( Advice: THAT DIDN'T HELP IN COLLEGE. ) I just graduated and I am currently job searching. However, even with all this free time I still seem to find myself almost stressed out about updating. I know, as writers, we have, loyal readers who just want to gobble the next chapter up. I also kind of shoot myself in the foot by having three or four stories at once. But I have notice MY fav authors do it, as well as a lot of other authors I see. So how do you all keep sane? I mean I see multiple stories being updated and you have real life. Like how does one do it oh obi one kenobi?

Side note: forgive the star wars reference it's 6:30am where I'm from and I'm eating chicken nuggets. This is what my life has become after college. hahaha

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/09/10 07:27 By MistressScar.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:So many updates, so little time 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
I graduated couple years ago. Am working in RL too. It's OK, since I have a fair amount of free time each week. I write when I can, provided that I have the interest in it. Can't force myself to write. Just doesn't work, even if I do prioritise.

If anything, just go with the flow when you write. You'll get better results than if you try to force yourself to sit through an agonising session of staring at the PC screen for four hours, without writing anything.

Staying sane?

Well, I draw and write, plus game.

XD.

I'm perfectly fine.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:So many updates, so little time 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 109
I'm in law school right now, and I've been managing a few stories. I tend to set deadlines for myself as a way of helping me try to get something out. Usually the deadlines aren't so in my face; I give myself a two to three month period to write a chapter or a scene. I've also got a ton of ongoing one-shots that I just add to whenever I have the time. This way, when I do update, I've had it done already.

It is hard trying to keep all the stories going, but I've got things that need to get done leaving any works I write on the backburner. I find that it's easier for me if I tell myself I have one story I need to publish because of x and x reason, and I have others to fall back on whenever I feel the need to write.

I hope that answered your question?

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Re:So many updates, so little time 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12
Pyre- I agree with trying to force yourself to write. That never works out well, ever. I checked out some of your drawings, they are amazing.

kaoruhana- I actually want to go to law school! I'm starting to think deadlines might be a thing for me I know some authors can make schedules for themselves, so maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for he help guys!

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:So many updates, so little time 8 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 156
I have plenty of time on my hands, but what helps me is a routine. I try to write five days a week and 500 words per day.
I write a random drabble every Monday, the next chapter for my drabble series The Shikon and the Miko every Tuesday, and the three remaining days I divide between my two chapter stories.

I was also vehemently against forcing myself to write, but having a set routine has actually helped me a lot to be more productive and consistent. If it does seem that I'm just going to sit there and stare at the blank screen for hours, I take a break and go do something else until I get an idea for a scene. Then it's back to work.

There are days when I don't feel at all like writing, and days when I can't concentrate and it takes me hours and hours to reach my goal. But I'm stubborn so I push through and still manage to get there in the end.

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
I have been re-working an older story of mine and I noticed taking small breaks help.

I may try your technique Chie! I follow a bunch of author on tumblr, they seem to do that as well. Before, I didn't think I needed it, now I am starting to wonder.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
There has been several times when in the morning I have had no clue what I should write, but I come back with clear idea after walking the dog.

I thought for a long time that it wouldn't suit me either. Though, I have to say that when you are writing regularly and have a routine, it helps to have some sort of an outline. Because not knowing what to write next is a bigger hurdle (at least to me) than not being motivated to write, because even when you're not motivated you can still push yourself to write with perseverance. The blank page is harder to defeat with sheer stubbornness alone.

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
I have found that if I sit down and complete an outline, six pages in I have changed it. It never fails, I've done it with most of the stories I have written. hahah

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Well, outline or not, the story always has a mind of its own, and that's fine. I don't believe in strict outlines anyway, there has to be some room for the story to evolve naturally.

For me, I want to have an idea of what the final destination will be, so I have a rough general direction, but only time and story will tell which road I'll actually take to reach there!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/09/12 08:11 By Chie.
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
That is kinda of where I am with some of my stories. I have certain events that HAVE to be in there, but everything use is up to the little muse living on my shoulder.

Here is another question I came up with at six this morning. How to write Sesshomaru's internal yokai? Do you have any advice on that one?

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Hmm, that depends much on what kind of a story you want to write and what role would Sess' inner demon have there. It could just be a subconscious manifestation of his baser instincts that sometimes affect his thinking/world view, or it could be more like another persona with its own intellect and voice.
I'd say try to take your own spin on it, because it is a much used fanon trope. Clichés are not something to be avoided, they're opportunities for reinventing them and bringing them into a whole new life.

I'm sorry if this is not much help, I've only ever tried writing Sess having an inner demon in my very first fic ever years and years ago. ^^:

Logged Logged
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Well in my re-write I'm have his inner yokai play a limited role, much like a conscious if you will, just with other thoughts and opinion. If that makes sense. I have seen it played out many ways, some good and some not so good. Some stories I have read make me drool over the way their write his inner yokai. I'm super jealous, because mine have been mostly misses.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.