Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The 14 Symbol Challenge
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
This thread is a place to post all challenges. All challenges on this site need to be SessKag. If you have any questions contact a moderator.
Go to bottom Favoured: 5
TOPIC: The 14 Symbol Challenge
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
Pyreite wrote:
Totally love the idea of this. Though XD totally don't write, and prefer to draw instead. Would like to take a spin and see what I can art to meet each theme. Hope you don't mind XD.

No, that's fine. ^_^

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 8
Hello everyone! This challenge is inspired by a book I got a while back on symbols. The book is filled with symbols from different cultures and gives a synopsis of the history and meaning behind the symbol. In the whole book, there is a total of 16 symbols that mention Japanese culture and even more that encompasses the Eastern culture as a whole. As I was reading them, I thought that they would be great prompts for a fanfic challenge so here I am.

I am creating this thread to gather participants. I will post one symbol a week for everyone to write a piece on. You can make a one-shot for each prompt or make a serial of the theme if you like. Maybe even a set of drabbles, whatever tickles your fancy. My only request is that it will be turned in by the deadline I set which is at the end of the 15 week period (December 2nd).

Here are the list of symbols:

Butterfly
Carp
Cherry Blossom
Chrysanthemum
Cloud
Crow
Dragon
Dragonfly
Ho-ho bird
Orange
Peony
Pine tree
Plum
Cypress

Once I get some participants (at least I hope), I will post a symbol every Thursday evening. With each symbol, I will give some background information on it for inspiration and what not. It will look something like this:

Symbol 1 - Peony

This beautiful but short-lived flower is very popular in both China and Japan and is frequently depicted on paintings, ceramics, and costumes. Although it is considered a yang plant, it symbolizes feminine beauty, love, and the female virtues in general. For Chinese the tree peony is one of the Four Seasons (with the lotus, plum, and chrysanthemum) and a symbol for spring. For Japanese it is a symbol of imperial power and huge wealth as well as signifying spring and feminine virtues.

So that's it for my advertising. Just post in the thread if your interested and that you would like to join. If the thread doesn't get a response in the next 2 weeks than I won't do it. I don't want to create a 15 week challenge if no one's interested so please understand my hesitation.

Thanks everyone!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/28 09:45 By Nisou Tenshi. Reason: I just love editing this thing

elisa128
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 3
Ill defiantly want to take up this challenge. Just to be clear do you want the fanfiction to be done by the Thursday before you post the next prompt? Or do we have until the end of the fourteen weeks to complete each one? Also is there a level as to which the level of writing is limited too such as M or K like that?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/08/26 22:00 By elisa128.

I claim Hiten’s smirkCopy this code to your website to display this banner!

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Helen Keller
BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 7
I'm interested in doing this challenge too, but I have the same questions as Elisa. In some cases I might have too much homework to finish the challenges on time depending on how long we have so it would be great to know what sort of timeline we have.

Logged Logged

sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 216
I'm going to make Token's for this challenge i think they will help with people wanting to do this, plus i think they will turn out very pretty.

I'm going to do them in order:

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/08/26 23:42 By sugar0o.

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 8
elisa128 wrote:
Ill defiantly want to take up this challenge. Just to be clear do you want the fanfiction to be done by the Thursday before you post the next prompt? Or do we have until the end of the fourteen weeks to complete each one? Also is there a level as to which the level of writing is limited too such as M or K like that?

Awesome! I’m glad you’re interested.

I plan on posting the first prompt on Thursday, Sept. 9 which is exactly two weeks from now. From then on, I will post a new one each week along with a synopsis for each symbol. The deadline will be at the end of the 14 week period so if anyone wants to join in the challenge midway that’s still possible.

As for rating, that’s up for grabs for the author. Just give proper warning to the readers if you are going to do more mature content.

And thank you so much sugar0o! I really appreciate it.

So for each prompt completed a token will be rewarded by the gracious sugar0o. (I'm so happy! Thanks again!)

Logged Logged

Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 29
*squeal*
This sounds really interesting. I thought at first it was one week length time for each, but now that I know we have more time, I'll totally attempt to give this a try.

Logged Logged

Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 8
Madison wrote:
*squeal*
This sounds really interesting. I thought at first it was one week length time for each, but now that I know we have more time, I'll totally attempt to give this a try.

Yay! I'm glad. At first I was going to do the one week length time but I decided that by putting the deadline at the end of the 14 weeks there would be less pressure and give more room for creativity and whatnot. Though, I would definitely give kudos to the author who could write something within each week.

Logged Logged

Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 24
I'd love to participate in this challenge if I have enough time to write something for each symbol. =]

Logged Logged

MissTeak
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 18
That's such a wonderful idea! I am totally swamped with stories, but I'd LOVE to give this a shot. I am totally loving those Eastern Asian symbols, partly because they are part of my heritage, and also because the information you have provided is very accurate. It reflects effort, and I respect that a lot! (The vase in my living room has peonies all over it)

Thank you r0o for the tokens! They're lovely.

Logged Logged
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
MissTeak wrote:
That's such a wonderful idea! I am totally swamped with stories, but I'd LOVE to give this a shot. I am totally loving those Eastern Asian symbols, partly because they are part of my heritage, and also because the information you have provided is very accurate. It reflects effort, and I respect that a lot! (The vase in my living room has peonies all over it)

Thank you r0o for the tokens! They're lovely.

Thank you, I'm glad you love the idea and I'd love to see what you could come up with. And thank you for the compliments as well.

Logged Logged

JanaeGee
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I think I'm going to try this out aslo 8D. Sounds like fun

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Totally love the idea of this. Though XD totally don't write, and prefer to draw instead. Would like to take a spin and see what I can art to meet each theme. Hope you don't mind XD.

Logged Logged
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
All right, folks! It's September 9th so let's get this show on the road.

Prompt 1: Cherry Blossom

Special thanks to ro0 for the wonderful tokens.

Sakura in Japanese, cherry blossom is synonymous with Japan, where its delicate pink blossoms are the national emblem. In both China and Japan cherry blossom is a symbol of spring – and of feminine beauty, because of its delicate pink perfection. However, because cherry blossom falls quickly or is soon blown off the trees, it is also a symbol of the purity of youth and short-lived beauty. Sometimes young samurai who have been killed are alluded to as fallen cherry blossoms.

Choice of Entry:
Drabble (100 - 500 words)
One-Shot (minimum of 1000 words)
Multi-chapter
Fan-Art

Each prompt will be given weekly. The last prompt will be issued November 25 so the deadline will be December 2. Anyone can join in the challenge during the 15 week period as long as the entries themselves are turned in by the deadline. If the entry has mature material please give proper warning. Also a Karma will be rewarded to the first entry.

Now since that is out of the way, have fun guys!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/10 08:46 By Nisou Tenshi. Reason: Wanted to add something

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
O.O Nice XD. *hears brain whirring* Interesting first challenge. *sings* 'Sessh and Kagome sittin' in a tree'. Definitely need to think this one through though. Drawing flowering trees will definitely pose a challenge. Onto finding ref-material!

Logged Logged
MissTeak
Pup
graphgraph
Dear Nisou Tenshi,

My response fic to your first challenge prompt is up! I am rather pleased with how it turned out, and I hope you'll enjoy the read too. The story is titled 'My Bloody Sakura'. Morbid, I know, but it's more of angst and romance. LOL.

It can be accessed here.

Logged Logged
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
MissTeak wrote:
Dear Nisou Tenshi,

My response fic to your first challenge prompt is up! I am rather pleased with how it turned out, and I hope you'll enjoy the read too. The story is titled 'My Bloody Sakura'. Morbid, I know, but it's more of angst and romance. LOL.

It can be accessed here.

Thank you for the wonderful entry. I loved reading it. And of course, one Karma for you for being the first to respond. ^_^

Logged Logged

Twilight Dawn
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
I shoud be updating my other stories, but I couldn't help myself. The idea stuck in my head and wouldn't get out. So here is my entry. I hope you like it.

Title: Renewed Love
Rating: Teen

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/4425/1

Logged Logged

Tangerine Dream
Whelp
graphgraph
Ah um well I raelly like your challange and it inspired me to doodle. It isn't good or anything as it is a doodle but still figured why not and whatnot.

www.dokuga.com/gallery?func=detail&id=4370

Logged Logged

Banner made by the splendiferous Sugar0o
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
Twilight Dawn wrote:

I shoud be updating my other stories, but I couldn't help myself. The idea stuck in my head and wouldn't get out. So here is my entry. I hope you like it.

Title: Renewed Love
Rating: Teen

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/4425/1

Tangerine Dream wrote

Ah um well I raelly like your challange and it inspired me to doodle. It isn't good or anything as it is a doodle but still figured why not and whatnot.

www.dokuga.com/gallery?func=detail&id=4370

Thank you both for your entries. I had fun both reading and looking at them. ^_^

Logged Logged

Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
It’s that time again, folks. ^_^

Prompt 2: Crow

Called karasu in Japanese, early Taoist belief taught that a three-legged red or golden crow lived in the sun, so it is a sun symbol. A three-legged crow is the messenger of Amaterasu, the Shinto goddess of the sun; she commands the skies (the Plain of Heaven) and without her the sun will not appear. Thanks to its position as a messenger, the crow is sometimes a bird of ill omen. Crows appear on Shinto shrines belonging to the Kumano sect. Due to its odd number of legs it is a yang bird.

Choice of Entry:
Drabble (100 - 500 words)
One-Shot (minimum of 1000 words)
Multi-chapter
Fan-Art

The first person to respond to this prompt will be rewarded one Karma. Additionally, if the entry has a mature rating give proper warning for those YIMs.

I also want to thank everyone who has responded so far and that I really appreciate it. It’s been a pleasure seeing the response and I’ve loved reading and viewing all the entries.

Just as a reminder, all works for each prompt are eligible for entry until December 2.

That’s it for now. Have fun with it, guys!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/16 19:00 By Nisou Tenshi. Reason: Had to add some little details

Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
Urgh!
Lol, Now I'm behind! Lol.

Well here's the entry for the first prompt. "Cherry Blossoms", it will be a chapter story.

Future Chapters will be Rated M, because of the darkness of the story. So no kiddies.
Echoes of Mercy
Chapter 1: One Wing

Logged Logged

MissTeak
Pup
graphgraph
Dear Nisou Tenshi,

I know I should have waited for you to reply my wall post with regard to the question I asked, but...I couldn't resist and went on a writing rampage!

Prompt number 2 'Crow' has been written as an epilogue to 'My Bloodied Sakura' and you can access it here

Thank you for making such an awesome challenge! I am loving it!

Logged Logged
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
MissTeak wrote:
Dear Nisou Tenshi,

I know I should have waited for you to reply my wall post with regard to the question I asked, but...I couldn't resist and went on a writing rampage!

Prompt number 2 'Crow' has been written as an epilogue to 'My Bloodied Sakura' and you can access it here

Thank you for making such an awesome challenge! I am loving it!

Don't worry, you're fine. I'm glad you're enjoying the challenge so much. 1 Karma to you for being the first to respond. ^_^

Logged Logged

Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:The 14 Symbol Challenge 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
Once again, Still rated M!

Here's the second Chapter, in answer to "Crow"
Chapter 2: First Kill

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/19 12:28 By xMaddiex.

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.