Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
"Mirror" What does it mean?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: "Mirror" What does it mean?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"Mirror" What does it mean? 10 Years ago Karma: 78
Hi, guys. I was just on a website I found, and one of the menu choices was "Visit our Mirror Site". Could you tell me what a mirror site is, and why they would have one? The reason I am curious enough to try to find out about this, is that I ran into the term when I was dealing with removing malware from my computer. Something about some of the programs I was looking at having a "mirror" program, which I didn't understand at all. Well, when I encounter synchronicity, it makes me look twice, and take an interest. Maybe this mirror thing is something I should know about?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sharon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:"Mirror" What does it mean? 10 Years ago Karma: 95
A Mirror site is a copy of an existing site. They are used to reduce network traffic and hits to a server. Mirroring is very popular among servers that host popular large software packages for download. These servers get a lot of traffic for a single sever to support and sometimes they are forced to deny service. Having users choose from a list of mirror sites (they're encouraged to pick the one geographically closest), allows for higher download speed and continuous availability of the server.

Mirror programs are a similar concept. Several copies of the same program might exist on your disk. This is a popular technique among malware writers, as it's often difficult to catch and erase all of them.

Other examples for mirroring are disk and data mirroring, which is essentially data redundancy techniques used by large databases to ensure availability.

Hope this clears it up

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:"Mirror" What does it mean? 10 Years ago Karma: 78
Wow, what an awesome, clear, fully explained explanation! You would be a great teacher! I really appreciate the time you took to explain this to me, I'm sooo curious about things I don't know. Karma to you!

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:"Mirror" What does it mean? 10 Years ago Karma: 78
Oh, my gosh, this just occurred to me. Sometimes, when I use Google to get to Dokuga, it comes up "Dokuga". Other times, it comes up "Dokuga Dokuga". Is "Dokuga Dokuga" a mirror site?

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.