Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Bridal Shower Etiquette
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Bridal Shower Etiquette
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 109
So, one of my friends from University is getting married. She's the first of my friends to do so and she has invited me to her bridal shower and wedding. Except, I don't know anything about an American Bridal Shower. All I know is that I need to get her a gift (which I have from her registry). I have no idea what the dress code is and if there are any etiquette rules I need to brush up on.

So, for anyone who thinks they could help me and give me a crash course on some of the more important rules/ manners/ things to do during bridal showers, I would appreciate the help! The bridal shower is Saturday afternoon so I have until then to learn.

Thanks in advance to all those who help

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
Usually a bridal shower is just for women. I know you probably know that. A conservative but sexy dress, is appropriate. There is really is know no rules depending on the party. Unless its like top of the line party thrown by rich people. Then its a different ball park. I would still go with the dress I suggested, you can't go wrong there. Some bridal showers have dinner others dont. It depends on who is throwing it and where. Manners be yourself. I'm sure you will do just fine. Ask more questions about the party from your friend. I'm sure she will give you some advice about what to expect. I hope I helped some

Logged Logged
Sarasama1
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 10
Hi,

A few things about a bridal shower. First, you can either get her a gift from the registry(easiest), for the house, or you can get a gift especially for her. Sometimes, the brides closest friends will give her something personal just for her. Next, a bridal shower will usually include some type of meal served either buffet-style or sit-down service. It usually takes place around lunch time in my experience. It's a chance for the women on both the bride's and groom's sides to come together and meet each other. The people attending are usually the same as the wedding guests. You don't invite to bridal shower and not the wedding. It's rude.

A conservative dress (not a suit or anything) is probably best like the person above mentioned. I wouldn't go sexy for a shower. You're getting senior family members of the bride and groom and as we all know, women can be more judgmental. (Yes, I'm a woman, so I know what I'm talking about ). There may be games. If there are, someone will explain them.

Then, you socialize and admire the gifts because they open them at the shower, usually. Sometimes, the groom also attends.

Hope this helps.

Logged Logged
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 109
Thank you both! Yes, your answers helped me. I have a dress in mind but since I own like three dresses I might have to go through my mother's closet (the dress in mind is the one I wanted to wear to the wedding).

So it's a meet and greet from what I gather. I can do that. And we (my family and I)decided to give her a gift from the registry to be safe. (This is the first of what I'm sure will be quite a few western weddings we'll hear about). I only hope that I don't have to be awkward with the food. Being a vegetarian sometimes makes life difficult. Let's hope I don't do something stupid.

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 56
Bridal showers, with us, usually end up with finger foods. Men and women attend (though the men seem to migrate to their own spot when the gift opening starts) Gifts can be from the registry, or if you are good, fun friends, you can go for a giggle and get the bride a piece of lingerie for the wedding night (or a gift card to Victoria Secrets, so she can choose her own) If you know of other friends that are going, ask them what are getting the bride. That will give you a feel for the formality.

Like you said, it's basically a meet and greet, generally with good food and lots of smiles.

Have fun!

Logged Logged

Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Sorry I meant to put classy dress, that's conservative. As she mentioned seniors will be there. If there are finger foods some will be without meat. Maybe have a few dishes might not have meat. I hope you have a blast at the wedding. It would be a great chance to get to know the family of the groom. And some of your friends family you haven't met. Let us know how it went

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/02/19 03:05 By Miko Sayuri.
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Bridal Shower Etiquette 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 109
So thanks guys for all the advice. The shower was actually a lot less informal than what you made it out to be. I met the bride to be's aunt's and cousins and her grandmother remembered me from high school. I wasn't alone either- two of her other friends from University came and I knew one of them. It was definitely a lot of fun!

Thanks again And I guess we can delete this thread now huh?

Logged Logged
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
That's great glad you had fun

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.