Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
dog experts out there?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: dog experts out there?
Kat
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 52
As far as your yorky having seizures, it could be because of flees. the flees can cause anemia, which would cause seizures. I also had a dog once taht kept loosing her fur and I found that she had an allergy to wheat. so I changed her dog food and her fur grew back so you might want to try that.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 95
sugar0o wrote:

**additionally, your pup, if he has allergies may be rubbing his/her face which is causing the hair-loss as well. If this is the cause, if you noticed licking or chewing, try giving them 5mg (usually a 1/2 tab) of loratidine aka claritin, or Zyrtec aka cetirizine (also 1/2 tab = 5 mg) or a low dose of benadryl(25mg cap), though keep in mind that all 3 will make your tiny pup very sleepy, and will probably knock them out for a while.

no barking if nothing else!

That stuff works great! I get the wal-mart brand benadryl (25mg cap) and give my dog 1/2 a pill twice a day when her allergies act up. I put hers in a piece of hot dog. She's really old so I also give her a baby aspirin (81mg) once a day for her arthritis.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/12/31 19:50 By insomniac_amy.

I claimed Shippo`s mushroom in the claim game.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Hey, guys. I'm always amazed by how much Dokugans know about animals. So, I would be beyond grateful if I could get some advice. Several months ago, I adopted a rescue dog, probably a Yorkshire Terrier, probably about 4 years old, according to the vet. The poor guy was in rough shape, and he is much better now. His hair has mostly grown back in nicely, but on his little face, in a mask around his eyes, the hair is very sparse. He has a little, hairless baboon face! He does suffer from occasional seizures. If anyone has any experience with such things, could he have thyroid issues or some mysterious condition? The vet is not very helpful...

Logged Logged
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 95
I wish I could help, but I really don't know what to tell you. We've had Pek-a-poo's for years and several years ago our male started loosing his fur. Our vet wasn't very helpful either. He just said that "small dogs are prone to skin problems" and recommended some expensive shampoo that didn't work. Good luck

Logged Logged

I claimed Shippo`s mushroom in the claim game.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 216
While i don't know the exact reasoning, or if this is the case I have noticed on my muttface (he really is a mutt of some kinda black/tan terrier thing) he is kinda "balding" around the eyes when they water a great deal. It's a concern i have as well, but at the same time, i notice it flux of hair loss vs it being there, when his eyes are more leaky then when they are not. He could very well have allergies which are causing this issue.

I don't think it's much to worry about physically though. I would say try to keep the eyes clean and if they water or leak make sure you get that off asap. but no worries over all.

**additionally, your pup, if he has allergies may be rubbing his/her face which is causing the hair-loss as well. If this is the cause, if you noticed licking or chewing, try giving them 5mg (usually a 1/2 tab) of loratidine aka claritin, or Zyrtec aka cetirizine (also 1/2 tab = 5 mg) or a low dose of benadryl(25mg cap), though keep in mind that all 3 will make your tiny pup very sleepy, and will probably knock them out for a while.

no barking if nothing else!

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
QuothTheDragon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 6
The face stuff could be a result of allergies or genetics, as some Yorkies and other small terriers have that issue. I don't know what kind of diet your pup is on, but if you go corn-free or wheat-free it could make a bit of a difference. The ceterizine r0o suggested is also an option if your pup has been scratching. Raw diets are also wonderfully healthy for your pup no matter what (it's what i'm planning to do when I get my pup in a few months)

Unfortunately, the seizures may be a result of negligent breeding, especially when taking the thin/no facial hair into account . It's never right when people decide to breed dogs with major health issues such as seizures, and all we can really do is love the pups anyway. I really wish people would breed more responsibly...

I hope I could help a little bit. Also, I would shop around for a new vet if I were you.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:dog experts out there? 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Wow, guys, thanks for all the help! I've been watching commercials for grain-free dog food, and the little guy is so small, it probably wouldn't cost that much to see if no gluten and allergy safe foods would make a difference. Maybe just feed him lightly cooked meat? He doesn't seem to scratch himself at all, but did have fleas when the rescue lady took custody of him. The vet said not to medicate for the seizures, that the medicine was worse than the seizures, and that agrees with my philosophy- it's always better to avoid complicated drugs, better to try to cooperate with nature. You guys rock!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.