Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
New Place to Check for Plagiarism!!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: New Place to Check for Plagiarism!!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Danyealle-sama has just alerted me to the fact that this site:

http://www.scribd.com/

is hosting a plagiarized copy of one of her stories. As well, it also hosts a plagiarized copy of one of Forthright's stories... and this place CHARGES MONEY for you to download the content.

In other words, Scribd is allowing people to post these things and, when someone wants to download it, the plagiarizer is getting PAID for it!!

I strongly suggest that anyone concerned about their work visit this site and do a search... and follow the instructions here:

http://support.scribd.com/forums/33563/entries/22981

if you find any of your stories uploaded to this site by a plagiarist.

The lengths people go to never cease to amaze me, srsly.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 76
Just thought I'd mention that if they were selling it, then it wouldn't just be use all over them. From what I see, the fanfiction are all under download or read for free. Though thanks for the link to the site. I might try selling my last NaNo novel on there if I ever get around to actually writing the last 5k words.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 91
most of the things hosted there, like, oh, novels by authors that didn't post them and are up for sale elsewhere, are pirated. Most of what is posted there is NOT by the original authors but by people who plagiarized it and posted it without permission. As of right now, AFF has contacted 4 separate publishing houses and several authors that have their works posted there without their permission (all are in the middle of sending out a flurry of DMCA notices as we speak). I sure as heck didn't give permission for the sticky fingered lil weasel that posted the fic i downed from everywhere on the web to post it there! And to download anything, you have to pay. Including for fanfiction, a huge no-no as everyone knows. If you want to make money of an original work, there are far better places to host it. This site isn't one of them!

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Anna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
I have a question, what if someone posts a fanfic but puts in a disclaimer like "This is not my fic, the original account was take off FF.net, and as I couldn't get a hold of the author, I put it here for people to enjoy". Does this count as plagiarism? On one hand, she doesn't have the permission of the author to post, but I see sometimes fans send each other saved copies of taken down fanfics. I'm actually just not sure if I should report this. Should I err on the side of caution?

Logged Logged
dianne
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 11
Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that it would still be considered plagiarism if they post it without the authors permission. (even if they have a disclaimer)
I dont think sharing between friends counts because its not actually being published.

Again, this is just my understanding but I could be wrong

Logged Logged

Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 91
from the point of view of someone that's had this happen to them more times than i care to count at this point... It's plagiarism. Most legitimate sites out there will down the fic and ban the user for it. It's not your fic to post so it's not your choice to post it.

Edit: it's also the reason Lord Sho'mamoo is now only available in one place on the web. I downed it from everywhere because this very thing happened so much.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/11/04 16:44 By Danyealle-sama.

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 76
Danyealle-sama wrote:
most of the things hosted there, like, oh, novels by authors that didn't post them and are up for sale elsewhere, are pirated. Most of what is posted there is NOT by the original authors but by people who plagiarized it and posted it without permission. As of right now, AFF has contacted 4 separate publishing houses and several authors that have their works posted there without their permission (all are in the middle of sending out a flurry of DMCA notices as we speak). I sure as heck didn't give permission for the sticky fingered lil weasel that posted the fic i downed from everywhere on the web to post it there! And to download anything, you have to pay. Including for fanfiction, a huge no-no as everyone knows. If you want to make money of an original work, there are far better places to host it. This site isn't one of them!

I know about the copyright infringement, that's all well and good. However, unless the fiction are up for sale... which in this case they are not. You are only paying the site which hosts them.

Actually, that's just as bad.

Either way, I understand where you are coming from. A site, which hosts content that is protected under copyright should still be wrong. Sooo..... I have no further comment on the subject. It's my day off anyway, to much thinking.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Anna wrote:
I have a question, what if someone posts a fanfic but puts in a disclaimer like "This is not my fic, the original account was take off FF.net, and as I couldn't get a hold of the author, I put it here for people to enjoy". Does this count as plagiarism? On one hand, she doesn't have the permission of the author to post, but I see sometimes fans send each other saved copies of taken down fanfics. I'm actually just not sure if I should report this. Should I err on the side of caution?

As far as this site is concerned, that is still plagiarism. You cannot post another's story without their permission, period. And, yes, we DO ask for verification that a person has the original author's permission to post a story. No verification, it's gone and so is the person who posted without it.

If I saw someone posting a story without permission on FanFiction.net, I would report it as abuse. The original author had their reasons for taking the story down and they should be respected. To do anything else is to plagiarize, as well as showing a total lack of respect to the person who spent so much time crafting the story in the first place.

Not yours? Don't post it. It's that simple.

As far as sharing goes... unless an author, like Kagome357, has specifically stated that certain stories are NOT to be shared, I don't see much problem with that. If they have, however, we will put a stop to any posting of story availability here. Several authors on our site are re-working their fanfiction stories to sell as originals - in that case, sharing it becomes a financial matter for those authors and shouldn't be done.

That's our site philosophy on those two issues.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:New Place to Check for Plagiarism!! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Hmm thanks for the heads up Wiccan.

I've had a look through the site and read the various forms of the Terms of Service, Terms of Use, and Store terms, and copyright policies place on the site for general users to read.

According to what I've read I believe that the site is acting more as a digital warehousing site, similar to Napster way back when before the music copyright laws came in to regulate the illegal upload and downloading/sharing of copyrighted material aka digitized music files.

Scribd supplies the 'story' content for download after acceptance of payment. It is as Wiccan and Danyealle-sama have stated.

The content is isn't generated by Scribd but is supposedly generated by their users, uploaded onto Scribd's servers, and provided for download on a user-pays basis. It's very similar to the concept of an e-commerce site like I-Tunes where you only get to download the music file after putting through a legitimate payment by the various methods that they accept, probably direct debit, credit card, or paypal, most likely.

Scribd even admits in their Store terms of Use policy that 80% of the fee charged for the right to access and download the 'story' content, dependent on the purchase price, will be delivered to the person or user of the account that originally posted the story.

Scribd from what I have read and deduced isn't selling the content itself or supplying it, they're selling the right to access and download, and would take a 20% to 25% cut out of every dollar that the user that posted the content for download makes, which is according to their Store Terms of Use about $0.25 cents in every dollar (probably depends on the currency, although I believe the site is based in the USA, so we're probably talking US dollars here).

And yes, I can confirm via reading the Store of Use policy supplied by Scribd that they and the person that posted and is providing access to the story content will profit if other uses are willing to pay for the right to download and access that content.

Saying that in the Scribd Terms of Use and Copyright policies, they expressly expect that the poster of any user-generated content on the site is not in breach of various laws, regulations, and such like copyright of another entity, when they post content.

If fanfiction has been posted there, without permission of the original author's and it's in it's raw form with depictions of Sesshy and Kags in as the main characters, the original poster and Scribd by default will be in breach of copyright.

It's very likely that if the breach is reported that Scribd would cancel the poster's account, and perhaps reverse any and all monetary transactions that took place if that content was downloaded and paid for. The 'purchasers' would likely be notified privately of the breach too, and refunded accordingly, although that would depend on their management policies for issues like this (which probably have already happened in the past anyhow). Scribd would in essence have unfairly profited from a user's attempt to deceive general users, so they'd likely do their best to minimize liability.

Thanks for the heads up Wiccan and Danyealle-sama.

I find Scribd's conduct alarming, although I sincerely hope that this issue can be resolved for any and all author's affected.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/11/04 22:19 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.