Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: 100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 11
In the event that any of you would like to enter, here are the details for the very first Contest to be held on my forum. If it sounds interesting to you, please follow the link in my signature to the Forums and let me know if you'd like to participate!

p.s. - please don't post links to entries on this thread - since this is an Ink Smudge contest, and totally unrelated to Dokuga, I don't want to flood the forums with too much. If you have questions, though, feel free to ask!

100 Words – An Official Ink Smudge Contest

Begins: August 25th 2012
Ends: December 2nd 2012

The Contest:

This contest will last for 100 days, and each day, I’ll post a word from Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Day, as well as a theme for that word. Those wishing to enter the contest will then take the word and its theme and write an ORIGINAL story (with a minimum word count of 500 words) and post it to their website of choice.

Artists may enter as well, and any artwork submitted must be a complete sketch—coloring is not required, so long as the prompt is fulfilled.

A link to all contest entries must be posted over on Ink Smudge's Official 100 Words Contest Thread, along with a short synopsis, the prompt, and the rating (no higher than T). For “advertising” purposes, I ask that all authors consider specifying in their stories that they are official Ink Smudge Contest entries, linking back to the Forums if possible (not a requirement).

As for written entries, you may choose to write a chapter story or write a collection of short stories—whichever works for you.

The Requirements:

Official Ink Smudge Contests are for original work only. All fanfiction entries will be denied.

The deadline for each entry submission is any time before 11:59:59pm CDT (Central Daylight Time). If you miss a deadline, you will still be able to post your entry, but you'll lose five points for tardiness.

The Point System:

You will gain—

25 points for Participation
Up to 25 points for Flow/Consistency/Movement in Artwork
Up to 25 points for Quality of Content
Up to 25 points for Characterization
and
Up to 10 Bonus Points for Creativity

In all, you have the opportunity to accumulate 110 points every day. I will read and give constructive criticism for each entry, (a constructive review for artwork), as well as tell you how many points you earned for your entry, and how many you've earned total.

The Rewards:

After this contest closes on December 2nd at at 11:59:59pm, I will post the final scores as soon as possible; depending on the number of entries, it may take up to one week or longer for me to post the winners. Please be patient during that time.

When final scores are tallied, the three authors with the most points will be given the opportunity to request an original work from me, with the following limitations:

First Place
Any genre, any rating. Word count will not exceed 7,000 words.

Second Place
Any genre, maximum of Teen (T) rating. Word count will not exceed 5,000 words.

Third Place
Any genre, maximum of Teen (T) rating. Word count will not exceed 3,000 words.

In the event of a tie, the two participants will get the same reward. There will be a participation banner available to all who participate, as well as a banner for each of the winners. In the future, these rewards may change, but for now, this is what I have to offer.

The Words:

01Belaud, meaning "to praise, usually to excess". Your theme is selflessness.
02Sedulous, meaning "involving or accomplished with careful perseverance" or "diligent in application or pursuit". Your theme is affection.
03Cerebrate, meaning "to use the mind, to think". Your theme is ignorance.

All other words will be posted to Ink Smudge. The link is in my signature. Have fun!

Note: Feel free to ask questions if you need to, and if you'd like to convert time zones so that you know when the deadline is, timeanddate is an extremely useful resource.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/08/28 09:48 By Aubrey Simone.

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 11
Aura wrote:
I think it's a good idea, but the posting everyday thing sort of makes it a no for me. I'll have no net access for 3 weeks in Oct.
You know, I started to make the deadline once a week, but then the contest wouldn't have ended until 2014 .

At any rate, you're still very welcome to participate. You'll simply get five points taken off for each word you miss the deadline for during those weeks.

Logged Logged

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 10
I think it's a good idea, but the posting everyday thing sort of makes it a no for me. I'll have no net access for 3 weeks in Oct.

Logged Logged
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 21
The link for the words seems to be broken :[

Logged Logged

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
JeniNeji wrote:
[quote]The link for the words seems to be broken :[/quote]
Sorry! I've posted the word instead, since the link just wouldn't work. You can also get to the Forums by following the link in my signature - the Contest board is at the bottom.

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 21
I am quite interested in this since I have two original stories working on my head. I am pretty sure I could work this ( a few days of the week) but once NaNoWriMo arrives I'll die.

Also, if possible... what would be a good site/blog to post original stories apart from FictionPress?

Logged Logged

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
JeniNeji wrote:
I am quite interested in this since I have two original stories working on my head. I am pretty sure I could work this ( a few days of the week) but once NaNoWriMo arrives I'll die.

Also, if possible... what would be a good site/blog to post original stories apart from FictionPress?

Ah, the madness that is NaNoWriMo - don't you just love it?

I'd actually forgotten all about that, so thanks for mentioning it; I'll likely postpone 100 Words for the month of November to prevent too much brain death and muse walk-outs.

As for websites, there's Figment, which used to be Inkpop. It's typically for the Young Adult writers, and I believe there's an opportunity each month for the highest rated projects on the site to be looked over by a HarperCollins agent. Don't hold me to that, though - I haven't posted on the site since before Inkpop was switched to Figment, so I'm not sure if that's still going on, and I don't see anything on the main page to state that it is.

There's also Young Writer's Society. I can't find an "About Us" section on the site, but I did preview some of the writing there, and it's all pretty good.

If I think of/find some more, I'll come back and add to this post, in case anyone else is wondering about sites other than FictionPress.

Thanks for your interest, Jeni!

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:100 Words - An Official Ink Smudge Contest 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 76
Aww... To bad this wasn't for fanfiction. I'll just have to pick one of the other prompt games for me to use for A Selfish Wish. Oh well.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Knight of Disorder wrote:
Aww... To bad this wasn't for fanfiction. I'll just have to pick one of the other prompt games for me to use for A Selfish Wish. Oh well.
Sorry Knight!

If I post a fanfiction contest, I'll be sure to let Dokuga know!

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.