Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need help with my "draws"
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need help with my "draws"
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need help with my "draws" 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 78
Of late, I have been seeing the word "draw" substituted for "drawer" in fanfiction. Often. As in dresser drawer. I've been familiar with the term "draws", a short form of "drawers", a slang term meaning underpants, since childhood. But I have never known it to be an acceptable substitution for "chest of drawers". So help an old lady out. Is it an example of a Britishism? Is it a new and acceptable substitution which just appeared on my radar?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tokahlia
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my "draws" 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
It's probably an example of people not knowing the correct word and just using a word that sounds similar instead. Most likely not a britishism since in NZ (which is a British colony) we also use 'drawers', as in a 'chest of drawers'. My guess is it's just someone has misspelled it and the misspelling's influence has spread.

Logged Logged

I should probably get a signature.

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my "draws" 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
I'm firmly of the opinion that this is a "southern" thing. Especially since, if you drawl it out, the word 'drawer' can sound like 'draw.' It's definitely not an acceptable form to use for "dresser drawers," or even underwear, frankly. Most likely slang, hence it's use.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Fox
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my "draws" 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 26
I'm definitely very southern and speak with an accent. I have never heard even our oldest members use the word 'draws' as a slang for dresser drawers. We tend to use the word 'dresser' instead of drawer, but even then it might come out like drawr- like RAWR with a d, lol. Never draws... that just sounds and looks weird.

As far as underwear, definitely 'draws' comes out often- but here's the thing, unless a character is speaking it as in dialogue- slang doesn't belong in writing in my opinion. Not something like that at least.

Ex: Kags was walkin' her game like dem hot mamas you see evur man wantin'.

NOOOOO~ Not unless someone is saying that outloud. *shiver*

I guess I'm really picky but things that that are very simple to check the grammar of. I avoid a story where I can easily tell the author doesn't make much effort to be legible.

Logged Logged

I am the Master Procrastinator of Dokuga, and I wield a mighty game controller!
Sine48
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my "draws" 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
I'm southern also (SC) and I've lived in most of the southern states over the years. I've never met anyone from NC to Texas who referred to a chest of drawers or dresser drawers as "draws." Drawers in any kind of furniture have always been drawers.

As for "draws" as underpants, it's definitely slang and where I'm from it usually has that little extra 'ah'on the end that's so easy to drop (drawahs). We're also usually cutting up or being facetious when we talk about underdrawers and it's with loopy family members or close friends. We do not use the word in polite conversation.

I agree, also, with everyone who believes it's a mistake being picked up and continued when it shouldn't be.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.