Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Blogging help?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Blogging help?
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 156
I started keeping a blog years ago, mainly because I figures some of my readers might be curious to know what was going on "behind the scenes". Until now, I have been using livejournal, but recently I have been unable to access my blog page while logged in and I can't view my friend's page either. I can make new posts, but the problems I have with viewing certain areas of livejournal just make it feel less like fun and more like a hassle.
I made a troubleshoot request to the site admins and they claimed my antivirus software was at the root of all the problems, that if I disabled it, all the problems would magically go away.

Call me paranoid, but I really feel uncomfortable with such a "solution".

So, I've been considering moving somewhere else. I did some research already about other blog sites, but I'd really like to hear more about how they are from people who actually use them.

Any bloggers out there? What would be a good blogging site to use that would also be free to use?
(Also it would be great if it had a feature to screen the posts like livejournal has with public and friends only posts...)

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 32
Hey! I have blogged for a while now. Of the free blogging sites out there, Blogspot (also called Blogger), Tumblr and Wordpress are the most popular.

I've tried Tumblr and Jux and Wordpress. Jux was the easiest to use, by far; also the best-looking. Only downside? No comments allowed, as it doesn't have a commenting system. Tumblr was a pain to navigate and set up, I didn;t even get past the first post and deleted my account.

Wordpress was easier, and better customisable. Not as far as Jux, but still pretty good! They have a range of looks for your blog, almost all of them free. It has a great commenting system and is linked to all the social networks. I'd suggest you use Wordpress - free, easy and you can keep a very thorough eye on the traffic and impact of your posts. Here's my blog if you want to take a look: comtedesire.wordpress.com/

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s dismembered left arm in the Dokuga Claim Game.

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 24
I am a frequent blogger. lol. For almost ten years, I've been using Xanga as my blogging site. It's pretty amazing but not as popular now as it once was. I've also used Tumblr, Blogspot, and Wordpress (Also LJ, but I understand that we're trying to move away from that ).

Tumblr is very hard to navigate. I've had an account there for nearly a year and I still dislike going on there. Blogspot would probably be my second choice. And lastly, I just don't really like Wordpress and I'm not really sure why. We just don't click, I guess. XD I mean, I use it, but it's not my favorite. lol.

Logged Logged

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 156
I was happy with livejournal - until it decided not to work for me.

From what I gathered, Blogspot/Blogger and Wordpress are the top two. I didn't find out much about Blogger though, in regards to how it is to use. How much can you customise with it, and is every post you make public? I learned in Wordpress you can make password-protected entries (though it still sounds a bit more of a hassle than lj's friends only entries...)

Logged Logged
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 32
I don't know that much about Blogger, but the Blogger sites I've seen are mostly very simple looking. I'd still vote Wordpress - it's the easiest to monitor, edit posts and so on, on it.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s dismembered left arm in the Dokuga Claim Game.

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 38
I know it's super silly BUT I made a Facebook page;
It's super easy and a lot of my readers have one.
They go like the page and they don't have to physically visit my page for updates;
My updates appear in their news feed.
It's pretty helpful and super efficiant and personally it's helped a lot of my peoplessss keep updated and it's easier for them to contact me because I get all updates directly to my phone.

I like blogging.
And facebook actually has all the capabilities and more of a blog.

Logged Logged

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 25
Wordpress is the best as far as user friendly and ability to customize.

I have a beauty blog over at Blogger (Blogspot), and have maintained a blog there for quite a few years. Even better is if you already have a Gmail or Google account, you don't have to sign up again to use the service. I like it because it does connect. It makes life easier at times.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Blogging help? 12 Years ago Karma: 156
Thank you all for your suggestions! :3 I really appreciate your insight!

I did end up making an account on Wordpress... And then my tech savvy friend swooped in and fixed my livejournal for me. ^^; So I'll be sticking to my old blog after all now that it's working again.

Figures that this would happen only after I seriously considered moving and asked for help.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.