Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
For the really old people out there
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
TOPIC: For the really old people out there
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
Just kidding. Well, maybe not. Maybe I'm being a dork, but is anyone else waiting for the Sailor Moon movie to come out tonight?
*crickets*
Yup, Imma dork.

Logged Logged

I need something that will give me the stamina of a young werewolf, the vision of a shaman, the thoughts of a serial killer, and the gentleness of a hungry vampire bat.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kitana Tsukino-hime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 9
What?! There's another one? -happy dance- -ish a dork too- Title please, HT?! Though, to be fair I'm a twenty-something... lol

Logged Logged

Sig/Story Archive Banner (C) Sesshomaru\'s Secret Admirer

Claim Game Banner (C) Sesshomaru\'s Secret Admirer
RebaJean
Pup
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 16
What Sailor Moon movie? Is there a new one coming out?

Logged Logged
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
It's a las done by the people who did Sailor Moon Abridged (which is foulmouthed but hilarious). The pictures actually make it look sorta neat.

www.youtube.com/user/TheSailorMoonMovie

I found them on kickstarter (that site is fantabulous) and did the facebook thing to keep track of where it went. No idea what it's actually going to be aboot, but intensely curious. The anniversary re-releases of everything seem to have brought out a lot of people working on their own fan projects, and some of them are beyond amazing looking. (This is what happens when anime fans grow up, we become ultra cool dorks...with cameras)

ps-I am twenty three, I am a moonie, and I have been receiving the rereleased manga as presents, and I'm totally not ashamed to say it.

edited to add: Usagi and Demando or Seiya were my first crack pairings, and why I attached to Sess/Kag so readily. Does that earn me more dork points?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 13:53 By HatterTheory.

I need something that will give me the stamina of a young werewolf, the vision of a shaman, the thoughts of a serial killer, and the gentleness of a hungry vampire bat.
Jaded_butterfly
Pup
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
Im 22 and i own the whole series. I bought i off ebay in 08. It was very addicting for me. I made my husband sit a watch it with me. I even bought a japanese version of the season with the dark moon and wicked lady and made my step dad watch it with me in one sitting

Logged Logged
Kitana Tsukino-hime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
I'm 23 too. Ultra cool dorks... with cameras lol. Amen, HT. I've been jumping around LMAO watching the behind the scenes footage. I can't wait to see it and I LOVE you for mentioning it as I had no idea about it.

Its ironic, because I hoped someday someone would create a live action version and now that day has come...

Logged Logged

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Inu Kijo Kitana Tsukino-hime wrote:

Its ironic, because I hoped someday someone would create a live action version and now that day has come...

Lots of people are making their own interpretation, why not you? (I don't because I don't have enough girls, although some of the boys I know are more than willing to, but they won't shave their legs.....)

Logged Logged

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 39
Yup, we're all dorks, but that's okay. I'm going to be 34 in about 15 days. I got into the Sailor Moon manga back before you could get translated versions here- ya know, when all they had on TV of Sailor Moon was the same 2 seasons rerunning over and over again. So I'd done the next best thing, or at least it was as far as I could see, I'd found this site that had a script-format translation of the scenes in the manga and printed them up . . . for every volume (and for it's predecessor, Sailor V), I went through soooo much paper & printer ink my mother was ready to kill me, lol. And I still have those print outs in binders on a shelf in my closet.

When you start watching the animated movies and the subtitled series, it really makes you throttle the American translators and go 'OMG, what did you people DO to this series?'

I, too, have been waiting for the day they'd come out with a live action version that would be good (and if you've seen any of those live-action-anime style films, you know what I mean, they can be either really great or really cheesy and laughable, and rarely do they find a middle ground between the two). Here's to hoping XD.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 17:12 By Freya Ishtar.
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
In the process of trying to take all of the 'offensive stuff' out, they made it a lot worse. To be fair, I still think they didn't dub the last season because they didn't want outraged parents over the genderbending.

All I can say is 'cousins'. Gah.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 17:15 By HatterTheory.

insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 95
I haven't watched Sailor Moon in years! I got hooked years ago when they were running the anime on TV. I even bought several of the movies on VHS (hehe that was back before many movies were available on DVD and the one's that were, were too expensive LOL) Me and my daughter both loved to watch them. Maybe I'll break them out and watch them again.

Really old people Hatter? 23???? I'm 38 so I'm thinking that makes me the super really old people here

Logged Logged

I claimed Shippo`s mushroom in the claim game.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
Tsuki Ai
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 4
Wow!! I can't wait for it! I loved Sailor Moon and I can remember making sure I was home to watch it...

Btw, I'm 19 so it's really only old people that remember it...

Logged Logged

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
There's no way to change a topic title, is there?

insomniac_amy wrote:

Really old people Hatter? 23???? I'm 38 so I'm thinking that makes me the super really old people here

Apologies. It was a joke. I worked at an anime store when I was 20, and my gahd was it awful. All of them loved Naruto and Bleach and most of the fifteen etc year olds that came in, they had no idea what sailor moon was except as a name, and the 'blonde girl'. They called me 'old'. So I went with it. Any offense was not meant.

ps-Age is a state of mind.

pps-Which means I'll be an immature eight year old forever. In stomper boots.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 17:53 By HatterTheory.

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
The Hatter Theory wrote:
In the process of trying to take all of the 'offensive stuff' out, they made it a lot worse. To be fair, I still think they didn't dub the last season because they didn't want outraged parents over the genderbending.

All I can say is 'cousins'. Gah.

Yay, I mean . . . seriously- it's all because it's a 'cartoon' so Americans want to assume that means it's a kiddie show.

And let's not even get into how laughable the american version of the theme song is . . . . "Never running from a real fight"????? It was like 'have you ever even watched the show?!?'

Oh, and I nearly forgot- I was Princess Serenity the Halloween that I was 19 and then the next year I was Sailor Moon XD. I still have the Crescent Moon Wand I'd bought at my parents' house somewhere (along with my Sailor V doll and a Sailor Moon figurine) and I'd once had a Crescent Moon jewelry case . . . no idea where it is now, a person who'd been a friend once, but is no longer obsconded with it one day and I haven't seen it since :/

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 18:00 By Freya Ishtar.
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
No apologies! I wasn't offeneded. Very little ever offends me and when it does I get over it quickly. I read back over what I wrote and realized that it sounded a little bitchy, but I can assure you that I was laughing the whole time I wrote it. I didn't mean for my comment to make you feel bad.

Amy

Logged Logged

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
The Hatter Theory wrote:
There's no way to change a topic title, is there?

Um, you can drop a PM to MoxyMikki and ask her to change it, she's the forum admin.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 18:02 By Freya Ishtar.
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Freya, you have no idea how insanely happy that post made me. Except for the theft, that's awful. My manga was 'borrowed' by a friend who never gave it back. On the plus side at least I live across the country from her now. And I get the bonus of the new manga...even if the translations are less than stellar. And the topic's fine I suppose, I don't think anyone will actually get ultra offended. If they do, they need to take themselves less seriously.

And Amy, tis all good, didn't think you sounds twitchy in the least. Sometimes I get all bahumbuggy when thinking of some of the new anime stuff out and how few people know about the older stuff. (Okay, now that sounded old lol)

I will admit, I don't watch new anime or read new manga, and I've been almost-kind-of-okayIam- curious about dipping my toes back into it since I don't have much on my hands these days. Suggestions?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 18:06 By HatterTheory.

insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Freya Ishtar wrote:

Yay, I mean . . . seriously- it's all because it's a 'cartoon' so Americans want to assume that means it's a kiddie show.

And let's not even get into how laughable the american version of the theme song is . . . . "Never running from a real fight"????? It was like 'have you ever even watched the show?!?'

I know what you mean about just because it's a cartoon that it's a kiddie show. I used to work in a video store and people would cuss me out because they rented Bleach for thier kid and didn't realize that it wasn't a kids cartoon.

Maybe I need my memories refreshed, but I don't remember anything in the cartoon network version (Sailor Moon) that ran here that was all that bad. I let my 10 year old daughter watch it.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/11/30 18:08 By insomniac_amy.

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
I think it was more complaining about the dubbing. In the american show they cut a few episodes and changed a few things entirely, and when I found the subbed versions, I was going 'ohemgeez, lesbians and crossdressing!' Of course, it was followed by 'Awesome!' but I don't think a lot of people would have agreed.

Logged Logged

insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Lool I remember the complaining about the "nudity" during the change scene in the opening.

Logged Logged

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
*blinks* Wow, I never thought of that. I'd think they'd complain more about the trippy visuals encouraging kids to do drugs or something.

Logged Logged

cakeiton
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 55
my daughter and i just got finished watching the ENTIRE series! She loves it, and I can't wait to show her the new movie!

Logged Logged

Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
I loved Sailor Moon. And I hated the censoring they did to it. You are right. For some reason the American license holders seem to think that if it is animated, it has to be a kiddie show. Then they proceed to chop, rewrite, etc., to make it one.

I'll never forget watching Yu Yu Hakusho on Cartoon Network's Toonami in the afternoon. I had read the manga. So imagine my surprise when I watched the episode where Yusuke wins his fight by using Genkai's discarded cigarette to find his opponent in the dark. They had edited out any reference or visual of the cigarette. It's like... Ok how did he win? How could he see him in the dark? Can we say... lack of forethought?

And since this is an old folks post. lol Yes I am qualified to laugh at all of you 'old' people. I will be 52 the day after Christmas. Does anyone remember the stupid robot they added to Gatchaman to make Battle of the Planets? The robot was added to the American release because they didn't think it would appeal to American kiddies without it. Gatchaman is actually a decent older anime.

Thanks for the heads up on the movie.

Logged Logged
Kitana Tsukino-hime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Wait a minute... I think I remember alusions to lesbians when I watched some of the later episodes. It was Sailor Neptune & Uranus wasn't it? I don't remember that being edited out of the English dub. Because at the time I thought, "Wow they're forward thinking, thank god!"

Logged Logged

PhoenixBlade
Pup
graphgraph
Re:For the really old people out there 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Anime: My Anti-Drug. I remember back in the day when VHS tapes were still around. My friend's friend has bought the whole Sailor Stars series off of someone who had gotten it abroad or something or other. Anyway, she copied it for my friend who copied her copy for me. The quality sucked, it was all in Japanese with English subs (didn't mind that at all), was uncensored, and was corny as heck, but oh well, I LOVED IT! I remember getting up early Saturday mornings just to watch it before they took it off (though the censorship, english voicing and name changes annoyed me). Oh the good ol days... (le sigh* By the way, in my culture, I AM old!... an old maid actually...

Logged Logged
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Inu Kijo Kitana Tsukino-hime wrote:
Wait a minute... I think I remember alusions to lesbians when I watched some of the later episodes. It was Sailor Neptune & Uranus wasn't it? I don't remember that being edited out of the English dub. Because at the time I thought, "Wow they're forward thinking, thank god!"

Later in the series, but in the dub when they were first introduced, it was as cousins. I think it was during the Pegasus arc that they had subtle hints towards the Uranus/Neptune relationship.

I think dubbing in general is okay for the tv, because if it wasn't for it, we probably would have discovered anime a lot later, if at all. Although fansubs are still my favorite.

BTW-finished watching the movie. For their budget (ultra cheap) it wasn't bad. I think they focused too much on the computer graphics though. And uh, I don't think any Live Action version of an anime will ever be subtle.

Logged Logged

Go to top
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.