Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Question about errors with Open Office...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Question about errors with Open Office...
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Question about errors with Open Office... 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Okies so long story short, my computer froze the other day and I had to manually turn it off while I had one of my documents open. When I restarted it, I never got the 'recover document' pop up that I usually get and now the file won't open at all.

I get this error message:

Document in Use

Document file 'Fang's Master' is locked for editing by;

Unknown user

Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.

Then it gives me the buttons to push for these options, but I've tried both of them and they just freeze up at about 75% open and I have to manually restart my computer again. I had assumed at first that this was my crappy computer, however, this is the only file it does it on. I can open, edit, save all other documents in Open Office with no problem, it's just this one file which I of course did not have saved on my USB card.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem or perhaps how to manually prompt for a recovery of this file; instead of the entire computer. Any help is greatly appreciated .

Hairann

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Question about errors with Open Office... 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 53
Here ya go...

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40683
- and -
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36597

Unfortunately it seems that error is one of the major ones, and if you can't fix it with the lock file, or looking for the sgmlf.tmp directory. This is also gonna be somewhat dependent on the version of OpenOffice.

If you can ever get a single one open at a time, whether recover or not, save the thing into a new file... and get rid of the old one.

Now, you may, I stress this a lot, may be able to open the .odt file with something like WinZip, WinRAR, etc... Take out a copy of the content.xml. That should have the text from the previous full save, going around the lock file for editing... Well, at least the XML for the text. :/

You'll have to clean the stupid thing out if you want plain text as there's the wonderful tags like:
Code:

<text:p text:style-name="P1">
  <text:tab/>This is the real content here... not the stupid XML tags. *sigh* <text:s/>
</text:p>

So, yeah... It'll basically be one long line of the above.

-J

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Question about errors with Open Office... 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Okies you lost me at 'here you go' lol, but thank you so much. I will have my husband follow your directions when he gets home, since he knows more about computer stuff than I do and I would just make things worse by trying hehe. Thank you again and I will let you know how it turns out .

And Karma for you.

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Question about errors with Open Office... 12 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
Yeah opening it with Winrar worked which is really good since my hubby was confused as well. And he's the one that's supposed to know about computers hehe. Thanks again and an extra karma for your suggestion working .

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.