Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Toronto says "no" to puppy mills
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Toronto says "no" to puppy mills
Shay
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Toronto says "no" to puppy mills 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I just wanted to share this happy news with as many people as I can.

Now in the City of Toronto in ON, Canada it is illegal for pet stores to get their puppies and kittens from mills. They can only sell pets from breeders, shelters, or rescues. This new law will help prevent this form of animal abuse.

Some people do not realise that the majority of pet stores in Canada and the United states get their animals from mills. (If you don't know what a pet mill is I suggest you google it, the reality is heartbreaking) And by buying a pet from stores that buy their animals from mills, you are supporting this cruel practice.

When you go to a pet store PLEASE ASK if their animals come from a reputable breeder or shelter and that they provide documental proof BEFORE you buy a pet from them. you may think you are rescueing a mill animal by buying one from a store but the reality is you are supporting those cruel people who own the mills.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/10/10 12:09 By Elven_mistress. Reason: spelling correction lol

To do homework or read fanfiction, that is the ultimate question...
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Toronto says "no" to puppy mills 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 277
That's terrific news, Shay, thanks so much for sharing it!!!

Alternatively, if you are really set on a purebred animal, contact the AKC (American Kennel Club) or the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) for dogs - they will be happy to direct you to reputable breeders.

For cats, the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) is an international organization and they, too, can direct you to reputable breeders.

Not to slam pet stores, but it's never a good idea to buy young animals (like cats & dogs) from such places. First, it is difficult at times to know how those animals were raised until weaned and in what conditions. Second, there are often no guarantees regarding the animal's genetic predisposition to certain diseases and/or their suitability for your family. Third, they are often housed in small spaces and exposed to a variety of diseases for which they may not have been vaccinated.

Myself, though, I have had both purebred and shelter/rescue animals. My purebred Samoyed came to us with a host of "interesting" quirks. He was a beautiful animal, but we didn't adequately research the purchase and bought from a 'backyard' breeder (someone who had both parents, but wasn't in the business of breeding to improve the breed). He died early for a dog his size and had problems that weren't attributable to anything but genetic predisposition.

On the other hand, our first dog, a mixed breed, was one of the best dogs EVER... although our current dog (another mix) is running a close second.

Then the cats... our mixed breed cats have been a never-ending source of love, companionship, fun, and PERSONALITY. Even the 'disadvantaged ones' - like the female with the kitty version of Cerebral Palsy - have lived long, happy lives. Although we've had two Manx, I doubt that either was purebred (one having found us and the other a rescue).

Above all, do your research before purchasing or adopting a pet. Know what sort of home you're able to give a pet, know what the general traits are for different breeds (very important when considering a dog), and know yourself. Really think about why you want that pet and what you expect from it. Whatever you do, do NOT purchase a dog or cat (or any other animal, for that matter) on a whim. PLEASE!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Toronto says "no" to puppy mills 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
That is good news and hope more cities follow suit. It'll be a great day when mills are extinct.

*Proud momma of an adopted rabbit from the SPCA*

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.