Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Advice for moving across country with cats!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Advice for moving across country with cats!
GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
Hi,

I don't know many here since I'm pretty quiet but I'd really appreciate some advise. One of the things I like about Dokuga are all the friendly, kind and helpful people here.

SO... I most likely will be leaving my life long home of California to move in with a friend in North Carolina. I'm told the trip is a week long, 3 to 4 days non stop. One of the major concerns are my two cats. Has anyone moved a great distance like that with their pet? And what did you do?

Unfortunately, like most, I'm limited on funds and I don't think I can afford to both fly them out and drive my stuff over. Also, stuff wise if anyone has opinions on that I'd greatly appreciate them. I am thinking of getting rid of most of my stuff, and going with a few boxes, clothes and my computer. Though I really rather not have to buy a new bed. Any suggestions, tips or tales would be helpful.

A year ago I would have never left California, but my out look change a bit. Always did hated change. While I love the state, it's become too difficult to live in. I'm kinda excited and scared all at once... weird combo of feelings. Anyways, (rambling now) any tips in general are GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you.
~your local lune

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/22 03:17 By lunaticneko. Reason: typo

I claimed Kagura`s awesome flying feather! Everyone should have one.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 29
I had to transport animals over a big distance once.
I guess the first question is, are you driving? If yes, are you more than one people in the car? Are you going to make stops? I personally transported my animal in a cage in the back seat, with the seat belt around. Then again, I don't know how much room you'll have. Also, if you make stops, you have to make sure wherever you stop by allows animals.

The other factor to take in consideration is, will it traumatize your cats?

Mine were used to sound, movement, and whatnot. If yours aren't used to it, especially with ligths and other cars, and whatnot that comes with that, it might be a very traumatizing experience for them.

I would tell you stuff wise the best bet is less as possible. I try to pack as much as I could, in a little space. You don't wanna be too pack either and focus on what you need the most. Sometimes it feels like you life can't fit in a suitcase, but then it turns out it can, lol. If your budget is limited, maybe try to squeeze in the most expensive stuff, and maybe prior to packing you could browse around see the prices of things and see what you can fit in your budget, which could make it easier to figure out what to bring and what not to bring.

I moved from Montreal, Quebec to Toronto, Ontario. It's not as far, but it was a new province, and also a new language I basically didn't know. I understand your feelings of scared and excitement at the same time. But it's a new adventure, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it no matter what.

I hope I could be of a little bit of help!
Good luck!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/22 03:26 By xMaddiex.

zandrellia
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
*cracks knuckles*

Okay.

First things first:

The trip from California, depending on which half of the state you are coming from, can be fairly easy but it can take a while if you are coming from the northern half of the state. (That would be you are going up through Utah, across I-80, down and through Tennessee, and into North Carolina. Luckily, this time of year tends to be mild on the weather through this kind of trip.) If you're coming through the southern half of the state you'll be heading through Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and on into North Carolina. (This time of year the trip will be HOT but bearable.) I can give you pointers on EITHER route or even help you plan a route if you are uncertain which way to go. I have been both ways.

Secondly:

Cats. Or, pets in general. Pets, like children, require time and care during long trips. You'll need to give your cats access to a litter box so getting a larger crate (cats don't like sleeping or eating near their litter box) and putting on in or making regular stops and letting your kitties go might be the best bet. If you are stopping every night you can just set up a temporary space (like a paper) in the vehicle and then set up a box in the hotel room each night. Be sure to teach them that is where they go by placing them in it IMMEDIATELY.
Also, remember that cats are not very fond of riding in cars (most) and so it may be prudent to start slow and place your cats in whatever they will be riding in for gradually growing periods of time. Then start taking it and putting it in the car and going for short drives. Eventually, they will get used to it and this can make your trip much easier.
A crate is best. You don't want to let your cats have free range of your vehicle as you never know what might happen.

Thirdly:

Packing.
Eliminate anything you haven't touched in six months. Seasonal clothing and sentimental things can stay but seriously consider what you actually use and not. If you don't use it: donate it or sell it. You can make a decent amount from a yard sale and if you decide not to or can't sell it you can donate it and get a minor tax write-off. (Get a receipt!)
Clothes - don't use hangers and lay them out flat or roll them up (depending on size!) to save space. Folding actually takes more room!
Breakables - you don't need special paper for this. Just get newspaper and then when you get to your destination rub it down with a windex wipe.
Beds - depending on the vehicle you intend to move with and the size of the mattress will entirely depend on how this can be moved safely. If you're thinking of strapping it to the roof I'd not recommend that.

I'm a former army brat and a current army wife so if you have any more detailed questions in regards to moving, etc, feel free to ask! If I don't know I guarantee I know someone who does!

Logged Logged
GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
Yep, I'll be driving. My friend is thinking of coming with me since she knows the route. I'm going to have what stuff I can bring in the trunk.... my friend suggested I ship the rest... she has a discount through fed ex... seeing as so far most say to bring little I might do that. I do plan on stopping, as I can imagen having them in a crate all day or several days.

So far the longest they have been in a crate has been 2 hours. Tweak my 5 year cat was displease but got over it eventually. I've been trying to crate train squee since the last time I took her she was almost feral. O_O

Logged Logged

GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
to zandrellia. Yep southern Cal. nearish to SF. Crate training squee who has the bigger problem... but I have till july. thank you for your advice it was definately helpful.

Thank you both.

Logged Logged

GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Advice for moving across country with cats! 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 27
Well, I ended up not moving across country as originally planned. But thank you both again for the info. I'm sure other people can use this.

Also, it has actually helped in my more local move. (moves tomorrow) Like: The whole rolling of clothes really helps. Also, Squee (the younger cat) is better about the crate now.

Thank you again.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.