Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
ff.net getting all weird again?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: ff.net getting all weird again?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Hey, guys, I'm accustomed to encountering periodic problems accessing stories on ff.net- but those crazy pop-ups that make me have to cut the power to my computer to escape them normally crop up, and are gone again within a day or so, then take a while to appear again. This time, however, one has been blocking my access to the site for several days straight. Like four or five. No way am I going to click on any of the buttons provided on the pop-up!

Which leaves me in a frustrating situation- I am tempted to call it a "fix", but the problem is, I can't get my fix- of non-InuYasha fanfics I'm addicted to, and which can only be found on that site!

Does anyone know what is up with that? I know, I should view it as a sign that I should be spending the freed-up time working on my own stories, but ya know, I'm a dedicated reader, and it's hard to sit here wondering if my favorite stories on ff.net have been updated!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 8
If you're talking about the ones that make you take a quiz or whatever, you can just go to the url bar and delete everything up to the address for ffn. That's been taking care of the problem for me. If you're a member, you can apparently stop the popups for a day for free, but I'm not sure if there's a limit.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
Ah that happened to me yesterday and it was very frustrating. Something came up saying that the site was blocked until I would complete a survey so the site could get money to pay for hosting(this happened at the same time as Dokuga so I was like 'nooo' )

I did three of the surveys, because I wanted to post one of my stories on my new account. But still, even after filling out the surveys and getting access to the site, it was still acting strange. It would only show half the page, which made it difficult to upload a new story.

I gave up after trying to half an hour and getting no where, I signed out and then later that night decided to try again. It did not have the pop up on there anymore and I was able to access the site(and all pages) normally.

I don't know why it did that, or if it will do it again. I just hope it doesn't because that was really, really frustrating >.< (sorry I couldn't really provide any help, just thought I'd throw my two cents into it since I experienced something similar)

Logged Logged
Vonne
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 6
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the pop-ups you're thinking of, but if it has this random woman advertising stuff and trying to convince you to take a quiz, I just press the back button and woosh! (It gets annoying having to do that multiple times, though) Also, if you can't get rid of it that way you could always try using a different browser (like Chrome of Firefox, when I use Chrome it doesn't pop up as often. I'm not sure if it's just me, though).

If you're talking about the one with random ads in the background and a huge box up front saying PRESS ESC TO LEAVE THIS PAGE (but it doesn't work) or something like that I just end process the internet browser (usually iexplore) under the Processes Tab of the Task Manager (alt+tab+del). You'll have to delete the one with the 2nd greatest amount of KB (as the first one is your whole computer and you'll just have to restart it again). Not sure what its listed under for Firefox or Chrome, so you'll just have to scroll down until you see something remotely accurate.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Vonne: very helpful, concrete advice! I'm gonna jump on that! Thanks!

Logged Logged
Vonne
Whelp
graphgraph
You're whole-heartedly welcome! I can't remember when exactly FF.net started doing that, but I've been constantly annoyed with it ever since. The huge box that lies is especially annoying to me
Most of the time the Pop-Up Blocker (if you're a member) doesn't work for me, so I usually just have to pull myself through all of those pesky ads. Thank goodness Dokuga doesn't have those!
(I do find it funny that the Quiz ad is the only real relevant pop-up to what you're searching for. The rest are just random.)

Logged Logged
Sarah C
Pup
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 35
I actually have not seen any of the pop-ups mentioned. I do not have an account on ff.net, but that shouldn't explain why I don't see the pop-ups. I also use Chrome, and I don't know if that explains it either. Though I did see some full page adds when I used internet explorer and firefox, but they always had the "skip this add" at the top.

Logged Logged
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
Sarah wrote:
I actually have not seen any of the pop-ups mentioned. I do not have an account on ff.net, but that shouldn't explain why I don't see the pop-ups. I also use Chrome, and I don't know if that explains it either. Though I did see some full page adds when I used internet explorer and firefox, but they always had the "skip this add" at the top.

I kept getting the "you must fill out a quiz to proceed" ad on about 75% of my ffn pages for about two days, and haven't seen them since, so I'm hoping the ffn staff has gotten rid of those. I use firefox and I haven't gotten any actual pop-ups, just those "skip this add" pages. Nice to see there's a few ways to get rid of them though if I do have to deal with them.

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 39
Oh, thank gods! I thought it was just me (it wouldn't be the first time my outdated pc picked up a virus that made itself known by bogging me down with adverts & popups so heavily that nagivating the internet was impossible). It only seems to come up when you click to sign in, but I never trust those things so I'd close the page and restart my IE, and sure enough there would be no such pop up the next time.

Speaking of problems on FF.net- has anyone else been having an issue with uploading documents? For the past few months I've had this issue with both ff.net & its sister-site fictionpress.com in which I upload my document and when I open it for editing on the site it's been turned into the ever-dreaded Wall o' Text.

I mean, everything's there, but that I have to sit there for another 15-20 minutes reformatting the text is getting pretty tedious. Is anyone else having this issue, or know of a way to stop this from happening?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/13 09:02 By Freya Ishtar.
Discontent Winter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
Fanfiction.net has ads?

Don't know if this will be any help, but I predominantly use Firefox with the no-script add in. The only scripting I have enabled is for the site itself. Since the script isn't enabled for the ad sites, I don't even see the banner ads.

The only downside is that on one computer with an older Firefox version, I can't display the author's favorite stores/authors... only their own works.
Works fine on the current version though.

NOTE: I have no idea how it works for uploading stories as I've never tried it

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/13 09:14 By Discontent Winter.

signature courtesy of r0o!
Couldntbekeener3
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
I havent been getting story updates at all!!! I wrote them and did step by step what they told me to do and it still wont work. And there not in my spam folder, so iv been pissed at ff for a while now!!!

Logged Logged
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 22
I also use FF and have never had ads other than the top banner ad at the top of the page bother me...maybe that's the easy solution?

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Khrystyne
Whelp
graphgraph
I occasionally get those where I can't do anything. I just hit the back button on my browser and re-click the link I was going to and that usually fixes the problem. Sometimes I have to do it twice, but I haven't been getting them in a while, so hopefully they have been getting enough complaints about them that they are taking them down.

Logged Logged

Jekya
Pup
graphgraph
cnt get in waahhhhh i dnt wanna tke a quiz i wanna read fanfiction

Logged Logged

Jekya
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 78
Me, too, Jekya! The back key thing isn't working for me. Now I'm going to take a time-out and try to download Firefox, I hope that helps.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
Actually that's quite true. FFNet does use quite a lot of pop-ups, banner ads, and other kinds of adverts like for online games e.g. Gaia Online, or some of the other ones.

I use Mozilla Firefox mostly, and am able with the Addons to get rid of or ignore most of the banner ads. Ads, popups, and adverts will use either image files, or flash files to advertise. The image files are usually either:

Animated GIFs - Images that have flashy but effects like sparkles or lights, or the image might rotate or something similar.

Jpeg or JPG or even PNG images - A lot of detail, colour, and relatively small size storage size for quick loading.

Flash Ads - Using Flash files that require either a Shockwave or Adobe Flash player addin, that shows really detailed images, that usually do pretty cool things, e.g. have sound effects, or are interactive like 'Click Here', and are relatively 'flashy'.

I have used Mozilla for years and there are plenty of freeware addins available to block certain things on sites, like popups, images, and or flash, great to block specific Ads.

I use the current Mozilla 3.6.13 version, paired with Addins like 'Flash Killer', 'Ad Block Plus', and 'Image Block' to literally disable many of the popups on many sites.

Note that these Addins will only work with Mozilla, are freeware and don't cost anything to use along with your Mozilla browser. 'Flash Killer' can be used to block out the annoyingly flashy 'Flash ads' which includes some of the animated banner ads on FFNet.

'Image Block' can be used to block out jpeg, PNG, and GIF images often used in adverts as well, note that this addin will also block all other images on a website too, such as User Avatar images in a forum, or images on a page e.g. Art piccies on Deviant.net. My advice is use it when you want to access specific websites that use some images but are more text based like FFNet, or when you just want to check something quickly without wanting to wait for the page to load images in the background.

'Adblock Plus' gives you the ability to block specific image based adverts on a website, but it will only work on GIF, PNG, Jpeg and other image files, and not Flash. Flash killer instead works better for blocking Flash adverts.

Mozilla isn't an elegant solution but it works best for me. I would recommend having at least two browsers on your computer anyhow just in case one stuffs out for whatever reason, e.g. some kind of error. I use Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, but also have Microsoft Explorer as a backup just in case Firefox packs a hissy fit.

Logged Logged
CosmicAnomaly
Pup
graphgraph
I use Mozilla Firefox too, and with Adblock Plus, FF hasn't ever given me any problems with ads/surveys/etc.

The thing that's been constantly bothering me, though, is that when I uploaded a new story, it showed up as an error for like, two days until I took it down and reposted it. And now, it's fine because people can read it fine, but the hit count is still 0, which is obviously wrong 'cause of the subscriptions/reviews I've received but it's still annoying.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:ff.net getting all weird again? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
XD that happened to me as well a couple days ago. Only I got an error with a story showing up on my profile but when I would click the hyperlink to read it, FFNet would give me an FFnet 'Error Type 1: Story ID not located, story doesn't exist', and if not that it would be this error 'Error Type 1: Story does not have any chapters'. Uber annoying, especially when ya wanna check the list of new reviews XD. I logged in and just replaced the chapters of the fic, it worked like normal afterward.

Logged Logged
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
For those who keep getting the quiz thing and the back button doesn't work, and you don't want to install anything, the easiest thing to do is go up to the address bar and delete everything up to the page you want to look at. For example:

Here is the address of the site with the locked content/take quiz thing: www.secureofferurl.com/fanfiction/myad.php?ref=http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1367082/Twilight_to_Midnight

If you take away the beginning (up through "ref="), you are left with the ffn address: www.fanfiction.net/u/1367082/Twilight_to_Midnight

You can just hit enter/go/send and it should take you to the page you wanted without the quiz thing.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.