Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Book suggestion(s):
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Book suggestion(s):
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
Before posting this I looked through already posted threads to see if there was something similar, nothing came up(well eight things did, but none were related exactly to what I am going to post) So I apologize if there is already a thread about this,and I completely missed it!

I'm sure there are a lot of people here that like reading, but sometimes it is nice to take a break from fan fiction and reading on one's computer,to take out an actual book and begin reading that instead of online. Which is why I decided to come up with this thread(well, at first, I was just going to post a thread suggesting one book, but realized there are others I'd suggest as well) So to those who have suggestions on books, of any genre, feel free to share them, because I know that personally I am always up for a new read and finding a new author(ess)!

Here is the first book I am suggesting:

'Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat'

by: Naomi Moriyama and William Doyle.

My view on the book: I got this book for Christmas, I am only on chapter three(reaching chapter four) and I am addicted to this book, and have learned a lot. Not only about the contents but also about the authoress herself and her way of writing. The book is wonderful and educating. It has touching moments, humorous moments, and wonderful home made recipes that are simple and not expensive to make(and are made daily in regular Japanese homes) with stories to go along with the recipes. It isn't a diet book, a recipe book or anything of that sort, but at the same time it has both within it. If your looking to change your eating habits to something healthier and gaining a healthy lifestyle without having to break your neck to do so, or if you are just looking for a good read, I suggest picking up this book and giving it a read!

I'll add more suggestions later on~ My book collection was moved to somewhere else so I have to go through all my favorite books to get the title and the name of the author(and authoress)

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 47
Yeah, I started a thread similar to this about a year ago, but it died out after about a month. There were quite a few good books suggested in it.

dokuga.com/forum/10-off-topic-discussion/28847-read-any-good-books?limit=25

Of course, I have been reading a lot since then and can add a couple of suggestions.

If you're looking for a long read, Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (or really, anything by him is great) is a historical fiction set during the time of WWI. It is the first of three books that focuses on several different families throughout the 20th century and ranges across Europe and the US. The scope of the story and the number of characters he has in it is amazing, and it does an incredible job of portraying the politics behind each country's decision to go to war, as well as the fall out of those decisions.

Another is The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. This is a nonfiction about a serial killer that terrorized Florence in the late seventies and early eighties. Mario Spezi was the main reporter that covered the story during the time of the killings, and the first half of the book follows him during that time. The second half of the book tells the story of Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi and how they tried to do some of their own investigation into the case to prove their own suspicions about the identity of the killer.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
Thanks for the suggestions, both seem interesting. I will try and check them out when I have money to do so.

My apologies, to you and everyone here then, I know repeat threads are bothersome and not acceptable here(which is why I looked for one that matched what I wanted this one to be) before posting, but I only found ones for certain types, and not all book types. Again I apologize. To the admins of the site, if you want to delete this thread, please do so. I apologize for adding onto your work. Sorry again.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 47
It's not bothersome to me. Like I said, that one thread was old. I only linked it just so you could check out those suggestions, too. Although in retrospect, I should have posted my new suggestions there, as well.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 29
So its kinda old now and not exactly what one would call a "classic," but I just absolutely LOVE this book! Its a SCI-FI, Romance, Action and Drama all roled into one. If you arn't a huge SCI-FI fan, don't let this dissuade you. Its set in modern Africa, and actually has a lot of historical notes to it, as the main characters are Archeologists. Its a great read for anyone wanting to go, "hmmmm" as it kinda makes you think.

Link by: Walt Becker

Logged Logged
Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 5
For fiction, I'm actually quite a fan of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles. I was never really into sci-fi about vampires or demons (with the exception of Sesshoumaru, of course XD), and I just kind of stumbled upon her works. She has an exceptional style that, while at times long (MEMNOCH!), is very...I want to say mature. She seems to give a more humanistic interpretation of the vampire, and her characters and plot lines are complex and compelling.

For non-fiction...well, I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I've started reading Anthony Bourdain's new book Medium Raw and it's absolutely brilliant! I can't go a page without snickering to myself. Really relieves the stress.

Logged Logged

Synyster Star
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 10
*whispers*

<_< >_>

Strange Angels series by Lili St. Crow.

It's a Teen book, and very fictional xD vampires, werwulves, some zombies, mentionings of ghosts and other preternatural goodness for all!

Logged Logged

banner made by me! Art was commissioned by me and done by Electrikfeather on deviantart.
ItsyBitsySpider
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Book suggestion(s): 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 10
Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's HILARIOUS. It's a comedic take on Armageddon. The summary on the back is as follows:

"According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

"So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon--both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle--are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

"And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist..."

Enjoy; you'll love it.

Logged Logged

It takes courage to kill, wit to avoid it and strength to never be tempted.
-
Sometimes you\\\\\\\'ve just gotta bite the bullet and take the plunge. Sometimes you just have to say \\\\\\\'I was wrong\\\\\\\'.

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.