Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fantasy novels, anyone?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Fantasy novels, anyone?
Meagan
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I liked Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce. She's wrote a lot of other fantasy novels too ^.^

Hope this helps

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 38
Personally, I read a lot.

One of my all time favorite series of books are as follows::

The Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series bu Laurell K. Hamilton.
She writes a lot of fantasy romance novels that are a little rated M. Actually, a lot. I've been reading them since they came out.

Laurell K. Hamilton also has a series called, "The Meredith Gentry Faerie Princess Series" and that has more fae creatures based on the old Irish/Scottish tales which means that they are much less Americanized and have far less moral scruples.

"The Sookie Stackhouse Series" by Charlene Harris is AMAZING. That's more vampire and werewolves but AMAZING.

"Silver Metal Lover" by Tanith Lee is BEAUTIFUL. It's set a little more futuristic but I have never read a better book.

I'll let you know some others.

Logged Logged

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 156
So... I'm all out of books to read. Have been ever since the summer.
Though for the next 3.5 weeks I'll still be swamped with school stuff. You know, exams, BA thesis and other minor things like that - but as soon as I'm free and the Christmas break is on, it'd be just wonderful to get my hands on a good book.

My favourite genre happens to be fantasy novels. My all time favourite authors of that genre are David Eddings and Robin Hobb. I'm tired of endlessly re-reading my own bookshelf, so I'm calling out to you, Dokuga. It'd be awesome if you could recommend some good fantasy novels for me to read.

Thank you in advance~ <3

Logged Logged
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
I, myself, am not really into the fantasy novels. My oldest son is though. He reads David Eddings. Some of his other favorites are Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, and almost anything R. A. Salvatore, especially his Drizzt novels for the Forgotten Realms series. He also just started reading Karen Miller and seems to like her as well. Hope this helps.

Logged Logged
Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 7
I happen to be reading a pretty good fantasy series. Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.

Logged Logged

darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 8
I always recommend all of Anne Bishop's books--particularly the Black Jewels trilogy, but the Tir Alainn and Ephemera series are wonderful as well. The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass is also pretty good.

Logged Logged
summerbirdy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
I have same problem, but no time to read though ^^

But for you, I'd recommed the Mage Winds trilogy from Mercedes Lackey..

Or if you like longer series, there's always Robert Jordan's (and Brandon Sanderson's) The Wheel of Time. It's still ongoing...

Tad Williams is good, though I'm still trying to get time to read his Shadowmarch..

I also love the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragorn, etc)

And after a bit of digging in my bookself (really, I have books in piles behind the piles) I found Dianna Wynne Jones (e.g Howl's moving castle)and Garth Nix (Abhorsen trilogy) that have somehow ended on my "re-readable enough to buy" list.

And if you happen to like humor, I just have to mention Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. ^^

Hope I helped at least a bit.

Logged Logged
random entry
Pup
graphgraph
I enjoy reading Traci Hardings books - the Ancient Future Trilogy and the Celestial Triad
as well as Raymond E Feist - The Riftwar Saga and the Empire Trilogy.

there are quiet a few good suggestions i have to go read them myself.

Logged Logged
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 32
Chie, if you like dark, snarky fantasy, I recommend the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. They are some brilliant books! Also the Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s dismembered left arm in the Dokuga Claim Game.

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
animegrl
Pup
graphgraph
I have to agree, Raymond E. Feist is an awesome writer. But i also like Piers Anthony (anything. His Incarnations of Immortality is good. and the Obsidian Trilogy by Meercedes Lackey is a good read.

but if you want something maybe more science fiction, anything done by Orson Scott Card is totally worth reading

i hope these help.

ps. my husband said to try "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. that is if you want something a little more adult.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/23 19:50 By animegrl007.
toranushi23
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I will always recommend Melanie Rawn. Especially her Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series. She is awesome and underappreciated. I am always in the middle of one of these...always.

Logged Logged
MelYanna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm a little behind on the more recent fantasy novels out there so forgive me if some of these seem out of date

For more traditional/D&D type fantasy I'd recommend the Dragonlance series (mainly Chronicles and Legends or anything by Weiss and Hickman))or anything really from Forgotten Realms series, but as someone said before RA Salvatore is preferred from them with the character Drizzt, its hard not to like him

For really out there stuff that I've read...Piers Anthony's Xanth series XD

Some others I've enjoyed:

Tad Williams - I'm a big fan of his Memory Sorrow and Thorn series, but anything he writes is well thought out, enjoyable and the characters are so easy to relate and believe in.

David Eddings - I'm especially fond of his characters in all his stories, they are diverse and their interaction has me involved from the start of each series.

Mercedes Lackey - her ability to create whole worlds, culture and interweave different series and pull them together is wonderful.

Elizabeth Haydon - I enjoyed her series, though sometimes the main character got on my nerves, but I adore Achmed XD

Terry Brooks - Epic fantasy here if you start with Sword of Shannara but the overall Shannara series is just wonderful as it spans so much more than what seems to be a traditional type fantasy.

Jennifer Roberson - I have enjoyed her Cheysuli series of shapechangers and Sword Dancer one completely

Agree on the Robert Jordan (and now Sanderson) Wheel of Time series - very epic, lots of details and sub plots. Highly recommend you read one after the other so you don't forget anything and get lost in between books! XD

Also another I agree with is Raymond Feist, wonderful writer there!

Another series is the Half Blood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey

some with a touch of Sci-Fi

CJ Cherryh - I loved her Morgaine Cycle
Anne McCaffrey - her Pern novels I have adored for years

that's all that I can think of off the top of my head

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/23 20:44 By MelyCat.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 156
Thank you so much, all of you, for your suggestions and recommendations.

Now if only the Christmas break would start already so I would have time for reading...

Logged Logged
Anna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
I love fantasy novels! For teenager I recommend Tamora Pierce, the trickster series was definitely a favourite and I can't wait to get the next Beka Cooper book either.
For older reader, Jennifer Fallon, her books are more politically minded but I really loved them.
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy is also targeted at a teenage audience. It's set in modern times but it's got lots of magic and action and is probably one of the funniest books I have EVER read.
Harry Potter is an obvious series, therefore making this sentence redundant...
Vampire Hunter D written by Hideyuki Kikuchi. I'm collecting them.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/12/08 03:04 By ania1224.

~BANANANANANANANANA *NOM*
Sammi-Chan
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fantasy novels, anyone? 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 6
for teens or anyone i like the house of night series. (well at first) i started to dislike how the author jumped from char to char pov. but i own all the books and continue to read them cuz i still enjoy the story and cant wait to find out what happens next!

Logged Logged

I CLAIMED NARAKU\\\'S TENTACLES IN THE DOKUGA CLAIM GAME!!!!!

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.