Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Taking Advantage of Kindness...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Taking Advantage of Kindness...
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
... is NOT cool.

I'm a nice person. I try, in everything I do, not to make people uncomfortable or to inconvenience another. And I'm honestly starting to think that's a mistake.

You see, generally whenever my boss needs me to go into work, I go. Normally I don't have anything to do anyway and the extra money is welcome. Yeah, mistake. Today I went into work and found she had scheduled me for NINE DAYS IN A ROW. 58 hours in total. That's ridiculous. Next week I'll be working 40 hours. That's FULL TIME. My contract is for parttime.

Now, two people have quit, and another is on vacation for a week, so she has only five people working, including herself, me, and three others. She has altered NONE of the others schedules AT ALL. One of the employee's is only working two days, and my boss hasn't added any hours to her own schedule. I AM THE ONLY ONE WHOSE SCHEDULE HAS CHANGED. How fair is this? Why am I being penalized for something that isn't my fault? I have come in sooo often for her, and this is how she says 'thanks'? It's a slap in the face.

Of course I'm not going to do all those days. Tomorrow I'm going to tell her that I REFUSE to work Monday, and that should she, in the future, want to schedule me more than 20 hours a week she's going to have to ask me first. Regrettable that it had to happen this way but it's the only way that it won't happen again.

I guess, Dokuga, that what I'm trying to say is that: 'People who take advantage of other people's kindness suck, and don't let others do it to you.'

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for listening.

Logged Logged

Im never going to do that again until next week....

I iz the Master Agreer of Dokuga Island with my O.K. Stamp of Yes!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tsuki
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 7
That is ridiculous she would give you that many hours when you are PARTTIME!! Like I am so sorry you have to deal with crap like that. She needs to hire more people, because she shouldn't be putting all this pressure and crap on you!!
I really hope things get better!

Logged Logged
Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 12
Aw! That is totally unfair. Have you taken a look at your employment contract? Perhaps your boss is breaching it? I only say this because I'm taking a law class and we were talking about it the other day, but it is something to consider.

But, I kind of know how you feel. My dad is similar. He gets taken advantage of all the time, but the thing is, he doesn't even care. He thinks he's being giving and generous, but people just walk all over him and it pisses me off to no end.

Logged Logged

inali
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 58
I've had that happen to me plenty of times, as well, that or get shipped out to work at another location. The getting sent to other locations was one manager's favorite form of "punishment" for me. She never figured out I was intentionally getting on her nerves so I wouldn't have to work around her.

I've also had my job threatened if I wouldn't come in and pick up an extra shift. Which, whatever. You just have to be assertive about where your lines are on things. That goes for every aspect of life and dealing with others in general, or you will get taken advantage of by someone at some point.

Logged Logged

I like researching stuffs...
SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
yeah, I'm sorry dear, it does suck! I've been there. I helped train a new employee when we lost two and they told me I would get extra hours as I was driving an hour there and an hour back to get to and from work and I was barely cutting even. I finished training her, and this was her part time job for extra money...it was the only job keeping me, my bf, and our then three week old son from living on the streets and they gave her half of my hours. I felt betrayed because I was a good employee. I went the extra mile...and came in when they needed me (just like you) and they halved my hours! It was no longer worth it, and when they wouldn't up my hours I quit. I was making less than I was using in gas.

It sucks that people take advantage of people because they have a conscience and are nice enough to care for others more than themselves, but eventually we all have enough and it becomes hard to continue being that person. Don't let this harden you. Karma will even things out...and hopefully a talk is all you'll have to have with her...

Logged Logged

Banner made by the amazing r0o!!!
Dokugasona by JeniNeji
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 29
aw...

I'm sorry hunny. Maybe its a bit of a miss-understanding? You always come in for her so maybe she thinks you like the extra hours, and is trying to offer you the extra time for the money (especially because when the holidays come around usually people are begging for extra shifts to work) I mean asking you to work nine days in a row is pretty rediculous even IF she thinks she's doing you a favor, though.

Or maybe she just didn't notice it on the schedule? One time my boss had me working 72 hours in a week. I paniced because I was contracted for part time work while I was in Uni. It was near finals, and I just knew it would be too much. I talked to her about it, she relooked at the schedual and kinda freaked. She had somehow put my shift and another workers shift in the same slot so it all came out under my name, but ther ewere two of us breaking up those 72 hours, and the coworker had more hours than me so I ended up only working like 30 hours that week.

I wouldn't let it make you TOO mad. Right now having too much work rather than not enough work is a GOOD problem to have. If you are a student, obviously you have to be responsible about your priorities, and your studys must come first. Talk to her. Be firm - not a pushover - and make sure she knows you have your absolute limit of what you can feesably do. You'll help whenever and however you can, but require some consideration in return.

Its only fair when you go out of your way to help her so much. You should be shown more respect and you certainly disserve it.

Logged Logged
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
MoxyMikki wrote:
Maybe its a bit of a miss-understanding? You always come in for her so maybe she thinks you like the extra hours, and is trying to offer you the extra time for the money. I mean asking you to work nine days in a row is pretty rediculous even IF she thinks she's doing you a favor, though. Or maybe she just didn't notice it on the schedule?

I wouldn't let it make you TOO mad. Right now having too much work rather than not enough work is a GOOD problem to have. If you are a student, obviously you have to be responsible about your priorities, and your studys must come first. Talk to her. Be firm - not a pushover - and make sure she knows you have your absolute limit of what you can feesably do. You'll help whenever and however you can, but require some consideration in return.

I understand where you're coming from, and I could see it if it were another boss, however mine knows EXACTLY what she's doing. She's manipulative. Sure I could be wrong, she could have messed up, however I am so far (but no longer) the only one who has never really fought her on the scheduling. Not to mention, she's done this before and to a different collegue of mine. I doubt very much it's a mistake. As for her thinking I wouldn't mind the hours? That's possible, but again I doubt it. Nine days is unreasonable, she even gave HERSELF days inbetween.

As to your saying right now it's a GOOD problem? It's really not. I'm thankful for a job, I really am. However, I'm mentally incapable of handling that much work, which is why I'm parttime. I can't handle stress at all, and she KNOWS this. She's seen me when I work too much. Not to mention, what's the point in working so much if it makes me sick? There IS a point where the money isn't worth it anymore. Not to mention my sister is leaving the country in a little under three months, and I'm trying to spend as much time with her as possible. Yes, I've told my boss this as well.

Thank you everyone for your support. Again thank you for listening, you all know how to make my day/night better.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -666
I Agree,

Please don't chastise another member for trying to find the bright side in the problem you're having. If you want to vent on the forum, you're opening yourself up to all sorts of opinions from other members who have differing perspectives. You have extenuating circumstances about why you want the hours you've asked for, but you didn't express them until now, so don't be brusque with someone who is only trying to cheer you up. It's not polite and you risk the chance of doing exactly what you're complaining of to begin with.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
Sorry I wasn't trying to chastize, nor trying to put her down. I just wrote what i was thinking in the wrong way.

Sorry Moxy, I didn't mean to be rude.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Taking Advantage of Kindness... 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: -666
Don't worry about it. You're justifiably upset and sometimes things come out wrong.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.