Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!!
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 26
In the Harry Potter community, they have links readily available to people for British words, sayings, phrases and so on (I will not link it because of the swear words... okay, mostly because of the use of the 'C' word. XD). If we don't have one already, maybe we could have a sticky thread with helpful info on Japanese culture for people who don't really know that much about it? From food, clothes to popular myths. =)

I couldn't offer any info, unfortunately, because I know nothing. XD

Welcome back, by the way! Glad to hear you had a nice trip. =)

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
The culture knowledge thread sounds like a good idea (I'd definitely contribute ) but you'd need a disclaimer that warns people that what they are reading is user contributed material and has not been been cited or verified, like wiki. And maybe more cultures than just Japanese, but that may be unrelated and so excessive... hm...

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -666
I have returned. It was a lovely trip to NYC. My first one and being a country bumpkin, it was most definitely a new experience.

But this thread is about a new trend that has developed on the forum. Random ranting!

Let it be known that I want to see less of this. Dokuga is about tolerance. Yes, there are inconsistencies in fanfiction (I'm not excluded in this at all) and overused cliches. Most people who write on this site are novice writers. Most people who write on this site are fairly young. Some people on this site have been readers for years and try their hand at writing which can result in rehashes of the same work that they read. All of these things can combine for some unfortunate reads.

Privately, many of you can bring up the subject of overwritten cliches or inconsistencies, but on the forum, it can be inappropriate. Feelings of those who are new to this craft can be hurt. The last thing we want to do is to upset our fellow members. This site needs to be a place of support and not complaining.

Education should be foremost! If you notice an inaccuracy pervading many of the stories you read, start a thread to educate. Don't say "I hate seeing this mistake over and over." Say, I found this interesting article on *insert subject*. People will see it and they will learn if they choose to.

As for events in real life. I want to see fewer threads on negative stories. We don't need to get worked up over the horrible things people do to each other in real life on the forum. We can read enough of that on the internet news or watch it on television.

To use Wiccan's penchant for capitalization in summary, BE NICE AND COURTEOUS TO EACH OTHER, AND SPREAD EDUCATION AND HAPPINESS.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 39
Welcome back Lady B, hope you enjoyed this fair city.... was a li'l colder than usual, though :/. No more ranting, and I will strive to be more considerate of how I say things when I do contribute to threads.

As far as a thread to serve as a sort of culture database, it would go best if it started with Japanese, since that is at the heart of the original work, and then we could have a statement making it clear that people wishing to do work (whether it's a story or an artwork) that reflects a particular culture can ask for any helpful information the community has about 'this' culture or 'that' one. It would be easier and likely a lot less messy that way. Though we would have to caution that contributors should read other responders' comments so we don't have repetitive posts for like a single question.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
ladybattousai wrote:

To use Wiccan's penchant for capitalization in summary, BE NICE AND COURTEOUS TO EACH OTHER, AND SPREAD EDUCATION AND HAPPINESS.

HEY! Does that mean that you find something WRONG with my penchant for capitalization? I'm wounded, to the very core!

LOL!! Sheesh, next you'll be picking on my rampant overuse of punctuation, right?

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 26
Lady Shikibu wrote:
The culture knowledge thread sounds like a good idea (I'd definitely contribute ) but you'd need a disclaimer that warns people that what they are reading is user contributed material and has not been been cited or verified, like wiki. And maybe more cultures than just Japanese, but that may be unrelated and so excessive... hm...
Thanks for all the info you gave us in another thread. It was a very helpful read.

And the disclaimer thing is a good idea, too. Though I agree that sticking to Japanese culture would be best. Maybe we could have two threads: one for modern Japan (shops, styles, music, etc.) and another for Feudal Era Japan.

Logged Logged
lightstar
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I think this topic is very important and I agree about not upsetting younger and impressionable writers who might be just starting out. Maybe this suggestion will be helpful. I don't know if there's a critique group/thread on this site or not, but maybe someone can start one and allow writers to post a snippet of their work there and get opinions on their stories before posting their work on the main page. I guess a Beta can do the same thing, but this will be more of a group opinion with more than one person weighing in.

Logged Logged

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 15
I'm in agreement for the whole no ranting and no more negative threads.

Good to have you back Lady B!

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 696975
WiccanMethuselah wrote:

LOL!! Sheesh, next you'll be picking on my rampant overuse of punctuation, right?

~~me~~

.................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Guess Who's Back?! AND NO MORE RANTING!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Everyone's a comedian... lmao!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.