Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Romance books
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Romance books
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Romance books 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
I love reading romance books but what really annoys me is the bookcovers. I mean, once I read what the plot about I am 'Oh, this sounds good I might get this' but then when I I see the first cover with the pair or half naked dude I like 'Ah...I changed my mind'. I like to use my imagination of what the characters look like or wished the books cover were hand dawning or anime. I don't mind like it a title, house, flowers, or pretty much anything that won't annoy me.

Anyway, changing the subject. The most romance books I like to read are Victorian (Somewhere in 1870 to 1880), vampires, and werewolves. So, far I did read one of the author works by Julianne MacLean and one of her books were really good. I'm still exploring some other romance books. There were some good books that caught my interest by other authors such as Melody Thomas, Kresley Cole, Julie Garwood, Alexandra Ivy, Dakota Cassidy, Jude Deveraux, Susan Squires, and Jess Haines.

I'm not sure if you heard of these authors but would like hear from others who have or recommend me what other good romance books to read and author works. I getting about vampires coming only by night. For once I would like to find a book about vampire walking in daylight for a change.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/21 00:56 By Inu-demoness.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Try Stephanie Laurens, Julia Quinn, Jillian Hunter, Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Johanna Lindsey, and Victoria Alexander. You might like them since I have read and enjoyed the works of several of the authors on your list.

If you choose Stephanie Laurens, I would suggest you start with Devil's Bride. This is the first Cynster novel. There is a whole series that covers the six Cynster cousins and then extended family and friends. Her Bastion Club series is very good too. Her later series have appearances by the characters from her other books. So while each book stands on its own and all is explained, it is a little easier if you already know who the guest characters are.

As for vampire, supernatural books, I would recommend Amanda Ashley, Linda Lael Miller, and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/11 20:46 By Time on my hands.
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
Time on my hands wrote:
Try Stephanie Laurens, Julia Quinn, Jillian Hunter, Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Johanna Lindsey, and Victoria Alexander. You might like them since I have read and enjoyed the works of several of the authors on your list.

If you choose Stephanie Laurens, I would suggest you start with Devil's Bride. This is the first Cynster novel. There is a whole series that covers the six Cynster cousins and then extended family and friends. Her Bastion Club series is very good too. Her later series have appearances by the characters from her other books. So while each book stands on its own and all is explained, it is a little easier if you already know who the guest characters are.

As for vampire, supernatural books, I would recommend Amanda Ashley, Linda Lael Miller, and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I did look at all of the authors but none of the books are around 1870 to 1880. But I be willing to check the books out. At least I'm glad I did a Victorian challenge which I'm sure there are some Victorian fans out there somewhere.

Logged Logged
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
There are a couple of Johanna Lindsey's books that are Victorian era. Her books are all over the place as far as time periods. From ancient Vikings to the American old west. One of her series is even alien fantasy. I'm still looking for any others I have that are set in the Victorian time period. I know I have some, as my library is extensive, but it's been a while since I read them. I am partial to the Regency era.

Logged Logged
Kelly
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
My favorite author right now is Kresley Cole, which I see you've found as well. I love her books. My other "go to" author is Gena Showalter. She has a few vampire romance as well as general supernatural characters. For vampires that go out during the day or can, I would say Linsay Sands. Her vampires are able to walk in the sunlight, not that they spend much time out there but...meh. JR Ward might also be of interest to you. The last author I can think of is Kathryn Smith, it's set around the time you're interested in and it involves vampires. Have fun reading!

Logged Logged
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
Hmmm...well I guess I could check out those books by the authors works. A interesting type that I might be interested in trying to read something that maybe someone that sudden go back in time. Does anyone know a good one? I wouldn't mind a little slap stick of comedy.

Logged Logged
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Ok if you want action, comedy, drama, and great sex out a vampire romance series...I *HIGHLY* recommend JR Ward's Blackdagger Brotherhood series! I *LOVE* that series!!! And the latest book will be out in March, so if you get started reading them now, you won't have to wait too long to read the next one. There's currently 8 books plus an insider's guide which has novella in it and the ninth book on it's way.

Larissa Ione's Demonica Series is great too!

As for historical romances, I've read alot of Hannah Howell's books. Those are mostly Highland romances, but I think she's written some with different themes too.

Logged Logged
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
I've been hearing that a from people that I should read the 'BrotherHood series' and I'm pretty sure that I will get the chance to read it. The only annoying thing that I find romance books covers is the half naked men, the pair or anything that looks annoying. Sometimes I wished they would just smack an anime art background in instead of a live picture.

It's the one thing I really can't stand on paper back books and have to wait for the hardcover books. Highlander I would have given a try but again the annoying front cover.

Which makes me say, "Ok, I get the idea that the men are half naked, the couple, or just the guys face smack on the cover, and women find that very sexy but damn it! Stop showing this type of shit. I mean, this is why I can't even read this book with beause this kind of stuff of the cover. I would like to use my imagination instead seeing the ugly frigging guy on there. Specialty, seeing the couple."

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/10/20 03:12 By Inu-demoness.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Romance books 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: -666
Katrina, settle down. This sort of negative comment is not appropriate for the forum. Rants are no longer permitted ever.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Just because the cover annoys you, doesn't mean the story is in any way bad...I have several books with men and/or women on the covers that don't even look like the way the author described the main character(s) so there's no reason you can't still use your imagination! The picture on a book shouldn't stop you from reading a good story!
And Romance books will ALWAYS have those types of covers so to be honest you're just going have to suck it up and deal with it. Go buy some of those stretchy book covers that kids get for their school books and slip those on the book if it bothers you so much!

Sorry if I sound like a B@#ch, but I *love* a good book/story, regardless of cover art and I will gladly defend them! Plus, the American romance novel industry will not be putting anime artwork on their covers anytime soon. There's another section in the bookstore for that, it's called the Anime/Manga section...they have romances too.

Logged Logged
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
ladybattousai wrote:
Katrina, settle down. This sort of negative comment is not appropriate for the forum. Rants are no longer permitted ever.

Sorry, about that. I really didn't know that. I guess people have different opinions but yeah, I guess your right, and cover romance books are never going to change I guess that it's the author story after all. And yeah, I remember there are romance manga books but I don't think that they will allow 'smut' in there stores. Which I can only read online.

I don't think a stretchy will fit a paper back book.

The other post, I was just expressing of how I felt is all. I just don't know sometimes when I look at the bookcover I feel like the person is looking straight at me which is creepy. Makes me think of a character from naruto guy sensei winking and smiling in doing that funny pose.

It's like 'Yes, I know you want me. Buy me, I will be forever be for dreams. Thinking of my hot bud' Or something like that. I remember having a dream about one of the bookcover one time, and I ending up running away as fast as I can in anime style.

Anyway, let's just talk about books since I'm done now.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/21 14:15 By Inu-demoness.
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Lol take a Sharpie and scribble out the face(s)...

As far as Manga/Anime/fanfiction/etc...I still don't understand the difference between 'smut' and 'lemons' and good ole fashion sex scenes.
But the Manga romances get alittle too graphic and I've never been into cartoony, graphic...liquidy...sex scenes.

I have a friend whose kinda got same the preferences you do and she just rips the front covers off.

Logged Logged
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Morgan wrote:
Lol take a Sharpie and scribble out the face(s)...

As far as Manga/Anime/fanfiction/etc...I still don't understand the difference between 'smut' and 'lemons' and good ole fashion sex scenes.
But the Manga romances get alittle too graphic and I've never been into cartoony, graphic...liquidy...sex scenes.

I have a friend whose kinda got same the preferences you do and she just rips the front covers off.

Oh, boy that something I would never do on the paper back book cover. I wait for the hardcover books, but they take forever. Anyway, on my other post does anyone knows any good book of a character going back though time for romance books?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/10/20 03:14 By Inu-demoness.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.