Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Partial Lunar Eclipse
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Partial Lunar Eclipse
Crescent Dreams
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Partial Lunar Eclipse 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
I really hope this goes here!

One of my friends told me (and I confirmed it on the NASA website) that right now for those of us in the western half of the US (I'm in California), there is a visible partial lunar eclipse going on! It started close to half an hour ago, and it'll reach it's greatest eclipse point between 4:30 and 4:40AM PST and about 54% of the Moon will be covered by the Earth's shadow.

I thought this would be a really interesting event, especially since I've never seen anything like it myself, and they don't come around very often!

I'm definitely going to be staying up to watch it, is any one else?

Logged Logged

Crescent Dreams
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
Re:Partial Lunar Eclipse 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 696975
Lunar Eclipses's are fantastic. I've seen two total eclipses. The total ones are cool because as the umbra covers the face of the moon, it turns to a coppery red so it's still entirely visible, just red.

The astronomy group I'm a part of does outreach on those nights so we've always had telescopes set up for the public to view them.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
Crescent Dreams
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Partial Lunar Eclipse 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
I saw the pictures of the total eclipses on the website, and they looked really amazing. There's supposed to be a total lunar eclipse this year too, and I sincerely hope the skies are clear when it happens.

I got so excited when I first went outside a couple hours ago, the moon was so bright that it was making my eyes water and I had to run back inside to get my sunglasses before I could tell that even part of the moon was being shadowed over, and now it's already quite dark.

That's really cool, Skye. I know if I had a telescope or even some binoculars I'd definitely be using them right about now.

Logged Logged

Crescent Dreams
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Partial Lunar Eclipse 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 40
It's happened here tonight already.

It was a full moon yesterday so at first it was a cloud blocking the moon, but I kept staring at it and realized it wasn't.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
Rowdys girl
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Partial Lunar Eclipse 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 12
I've seen 2-3 total eclipses of the moon and the last eclipse of the sun that was visible in Michigan. That was an annular eclipse, if I have my terminology correct. I called in sick to work that day so I could watch it. LOL. There are some things in life that are just that important!

The neatest things that I've seen in the skies were comets Hale-Bopp and Hyakutaki. I think it was Hale-Bopp that was visible for something like a year and a half. It was so bright that I was able to point it out to my father and sister in a brightly-lite parking lot at 9:00 pm on a summer's night - and they could see it! Those two comets brought me extra credits in my astronomy class because I'd kept records of both and had drawn their positions on the map of the hemisphere of the sky.

My next goal is to finally see the Perseids Meteor shower in August. I've looked for years and have seen nothing. I usually poop out and go to bed before it gets started or it's clouded over, or the mosquitoes are so bad I can't stay out any longer or there's just too much light to see them.

Logged Logged

This is starting to make sense... time to up my medication.

I live in my own little world, but it\\\'s okay, they know me here.

Even if the voices are not real - they have some pretty good ideas!

I don\\\'t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Until further notice, celebrate everything!
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.