Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Just Curious..
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Just Curious..
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Just Curious.. 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 23
This thought just randomly came to me.

But has reading fan fiction ever changed your opinion on characters from manga/anime or TV shows?

I know it has for me. Sometimes when I read a manga or watch an anime/TV show, there are certain characters I dislike and certain ones that I do like.

However, when reading fanfiction with those characters, my opinions of them sometimes change(whether it be for the good or bad)

I think it's because, in fanfiction stories. The other sides of a character can be written out, to where it is believable that the character is still the same person.

In the manga or anime stories(sometimes even in T.V and movies) The characters usually have a few traits of their personality shown. While in writing, the others personality traits they can have can come to surface, changing how some people view them.

Well that's how it is for me. Like, there is also a chance that characters have more to them then what is shown. Some good authors are good at portraying that other side of the character that isn't seen often, without making them seem to out of character.

If that makes sense?

When I was writing my Wizards of Waverly place/Inuyasha story, someone left a review saying that Alex was to OOC because she wasn't been a smart-ass all the time, and because she wasn't be really 'mean' all the time. My answer to that was exactly what I said about above. In the show 'Wizards of Weverly Place' Alex usually is a smart-ass and is very harsh and blunt. But she also shows small parts of her other personality traits the more serious and caring part(though its rare)

But yes, so I was wondering. Have you ever hated/liked a character from a manga/anime/TV show/movie and when reading a fanfiction story with those characters involved you either started to like them more/or dislike them because of how they were written?

( Sorry if this rambles a bit, my thoughts are kind of everywhere. I hope it makes some sense)

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
MontiK
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Just Curious.. 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 42
When reading I try to treat each story like it's totally new. Everyone does the characterization just a little bit different for every character so I try not to let them get meshed up together in my head. So when I do go back and watch the anime or read the manga I don't usually like or dislike any characters more than I did before. Though I do tend to enjoy the anime less now because I like all the romancy stuff in the fiction that's not there in the original.

The biggest problem I have is once I pick the characters I do like I skip to there parts alot when rewatching shows... like with Sesshoumaru I've seen the inupapa's tombs eps and the ep where Rin is almost kidnapped by that monk waaaaaay too many times. And with my gargoyles obsession I've watched all the world traveling eps from season three more times than I think I can count because I love the GoliathxElisa pairing so much >.< While I kinda put the other characters a bit by the wayside despite how interesting they still are.

Hope that kinda answers your question - MontiK

Logged Logged

[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/ShexyMonti/MontiBannercopy.jpg?t=1236322064[/img]

^~~~~ Teensie made me a pretty Banner!!!! :D

Sesshoumaru's Fiend
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Just Curious.. 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 5
Honestly, sometimes reading does help change my opinions on characters. However, the stories only every change my opinion on minor characters. For instance, I HATED the Band of Seven when I first saw their episodes. I didn't hate them because they were the bad guys, but I just couldn't stand their characters. Then, I read this story where Bankotsu was still a jerk, but a likeable jerk, and I had a bit of a change of heart.

Furthermore, reading a story with a character I didn't like, but grew a fondness for, has opened more doors in the way of reading. Like...when I first fell in love with an erratic, yet loveable Jakotsu in a story, I stopped avoiding stories he was in and actually read them until the last chapter.

I still don't really like the Band of Seven in the anime, but at least I can bare to watch the episodes now...mostly because I'm too busy daydreaming of them in their alternate roles. Haha.

But I love the Inuyasha gang, except Shippo (he's too whiny and a bit of a suck-up brat), and Sesshoumaru and his band, and I loved them from the start, and nothing will change that, no matter how soft and mushy Sesshoumaru may get, or how horribly Inuyasha may turn.

So...in a way, stories can change my opinions of characters, but only to a certain extent.

Logged Logged
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Just Curious.. 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 10
I have to concur with the things already being said. I've had small things change in my opinions, but on a similiar note I've had fictions turn me from being on the fence to tending to dislike a character more.

Generally it has to be a story already following canon pretty closely to make any sort of permanent impact at all. When I read things like 'so and so is on a game show' I never take it seriously to begin with

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Just Curious.. 14 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 23
@MontiK-Thank you, that did answer my question. I usually try to do the same when reading stories(treating each as a new one) Though that does get somewhat confusing/hard when I read a lot of different stories a day with the same pairing.

ah ha I also do the same with the my favorite characters when watching the anime they are in. But, I guess that when you watch an anime so much, just fast forwarding to your characters favorite parts isn't that bad since you aren't really missing anything XD

@Sesshoumaru's fiend-It was the same with me. I didn't like the band of seven until I started reading stories with them in it(Mainly Kagomexbankotsu stories) Thanks for replying

@ Aura- Ah ha, yeah I meant the ones that would be somewhat realistic with the characters involved(So not including the ones where Kagome is really loose, Sesshoumaru is gangster and other such things. But more where it is just another side to their personality not a completely different person. N' in places where they would actually be. But those totally whacked out one's are fun to read sometimes. Because its entertaining to see how the writer will put these characters in weird situations)

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.