Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Doesn't it annoy you when.....
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Doesn't it annoy you when.....
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 26
I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. I can surely understand that it would be annoying, but I think that the people who do this are people who were otherwise enjoying the story, and then were angered, or otherwised disturbed by the content.

At any rate, it'd be boring if everyone wrote about sunshines and lolly pops all the time. Life isn't always pretty and I commend you for being bold enough to explore such things in your works.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Texanlady
Whelp
graphgraph
Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 27
Doesn't it annoy you when reviewers blame you for them reading your story? I can't stand when a reviewer contacts me and "yells" at me for them having to read some of the rougher parts of my stories. Most of the time I ignore them because they're being ridiculous. They go on and on about how offended they are and how disgusting my mind must be for me to even come up with what I've written. However, I can't help but wonder why they read the story in the first place? Are my chapter warnings unclear? I thought that being blunt and to the point and saying "There will be rape, torture, and psychological abuse in this story" would be enough of a warning to people not to read a story if they are offended by that.

And really, it's not so much the people who contact me and call me "Sick, twisted, disturbed, ect, ect" for writing the things I do. I ignore those reviews and move on. It's the people that blame me for them reading the story to begin with. I've already had several readers of my newest fic contact me and tell me how horrible I am for not putting a warning in the summary about the abuse in my stories. Telling me it's my fault they got far enough into the story that they read my rape scene. Telling me I should be "decent" enough to warn readers in the brief summary that there will be rape so that they wouldn't click on the story to begin with. I guess the big bolded warnings before each chapter weren't enough. It does amuse me though that they read the whole chapter. They must have because they berated me for everything I had Sesshoumaru do to Kagome. They must not have been too offended, huh?

Anyways, this isn't meant to offend anyone. I'm just venting. Do any other authors feel this way?

Logged Logged
Kogasangel
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
I actually had a situation like the one you described with my fic, Question about honor. In the fic, there is a hinting of rape and even though I don't go into complete detail, one reader contacted me and actually stated some very hurtful and cruel comments about how I was supporting rape and that people like me should not be allowed to write. Of course, the comfort that I got out of this situation was that this particular person was considered a troll and was eventually banned for harrassment, but I wondered if I had gone too far with my fic. Truth of the matter is, we are all responsible for what we read and write. If a fic offends a person, and it happens often, it is the reader's responsibility to click that delightful,red X on the top right hand portion of their screen. If they keep reading, it is on them. This is what creative writing is. If a writer is able to take a bad situation and cause enough emotion in their readers, good or bad, then the writer has done their job. I've often been told that my fics are filled with emotion that draws the reader in, but I've also been told that I take some readers out of their comfort level. It's all a matter of what we can and cannot allow our delicate sensibilities to experience. It is up to us to censor what we read and if some readers have an issue with it, then those readers are more than welcome to find something else to read.

I've had the greatest honor of being buddies with Beautiful Silent Death and Rinseternalsoul and both of those ladies push the envelope as far as writing goes. Both are extremely talented and know their stuff, but I'm also sure that their fans know what to expect with their writings. Don't let someone get you down about your writing. You have to remember that writing is much like art and it is the artist's (in this case, writer's) imagination that makes the story come alive. You are not horrible and if you've got warnings at the beginning of chapters, then it is no longer your responsibility of what they read.

Geez, who in the heck gave me a soapbox to stand on? I really let loose on this one. It's probably because I've had the same happen. Ok, I'm going to go and sit down now.

Logged Logged
Saholia
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 31
Like Sianna said, I wouldn't worry about it either. If these people don't have the intellect to see a warning--and understand it, then they're not even worth considering.

I would just ignore them. ^.^

Logged Logged
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 13
For some reason.. my account views Ms. Texan's post as the 2nd post, while Ms. Sianna's post is the first post??

Okay..?

Anyway,Ms. Texan, think about it this way: You write well enough to make them read through the disgusting parts and, you write well enough to make them flame you for making them read through the disgusting parts.

(not saying it's disgusting, I have no idea which story you're talking about!)

I never had a situation like this =D
I don't write well enough to get these kind of flames XD

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -666
I've experienced the same on what appears a smaller level, so I empathize. There are many around here who write dark subject matter and readers should always take that into account. As writers, we have the freedom to write our whims. Their freedom is as it has always been, the freedom to choose what they want to read. If they don't want to read something dark and filled with uncomfortable subject matter, then they have the choice to stop whenever they want.

That being said, as always, let's keep the thread civil and informative. Dokuga is naturally about community and supporting each other. Let's not forget that readers and their reviews are what fuel our drive to write as authors. If this thread gets out of hand, it will be locked.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Sesshoumaru's Fiend
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
I don’t think you should take it to heart. Like KogasAngel has mentioned, there are a few very popular, well-known authors who have written stories that give people pause. Most times, readers will reject or react to stories simply because they seem extreme or ‘outside of the box’. Just so long as you warn people of the content, then it is the readers responsibility to decide if they want to continue.

Personally, I think of it more as a compliment. Perhaps you should think of it more as flattery, rather than insults. You are making your own way through unchartered territory and exploring areas of fiction not usually delved into on Dokuga.

You’re a pioneer in fanfiction, not a garbage spewer. Try not to let them get you down.

Best of luck with your stories, Sesshoumaru’s Fiend

Logged Logged
Texanlady
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 27
Oh no...I think some of you misunderstand me...I'm not upset about them calling me "sick, and twisted". That I can handle. I've been called worse. What annoys me is them blaming me for them reading my story. I didn't force them to read it. I certainly didn't force them to keep reading it. I've had several readers tell me it was my fault that they read the rape scene. That's what bothers me. I put a warning in 3 of the 4 chapters that there would be rape/torture/psychological abuse, and yet they blame me for them reading it. I just can't wrap my head around that.

Logged Logged
Sesshoumaru's Fiend
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
Ooohhh, okay. Well, there's not much you can do about that. Try not to think about it. It doesn't make sense, so giving yourself a headache trying to understand is pretty useless.

“Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy.” - Wayne Dyer

Logged Logged
Kogasangel
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Doesn't it annoy you when..... 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
LOL...well, if they've been warned before hand and they read it, then that is on them.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.