Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails?
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
So, I don't know if there are any other users that have(or have had) ferrets but, I need help ^^;

My ferret Jiraiya is really being difficult on getting his nails cut. I have never hurt him while doing it, but he never falls for the usual tricks(anymore..).

Over the past three years of his life, I've used most of them and when he was younger he use to fall for them and I could cut his nails easily.Now however, the tricks that work on my other ferret don't work on him.

I recently read something I hadn't tried before, the whole putting ferretone on their stomach and while they are licking it off you cut the tips of their nails all fast like.
Well...the putting it on his stomach and him licking it off part worked. However he kept hiding his paw from me, and wouldn't let me get it >.<

So anyone have any tips that I can use or have any suggestions for cutting his nails?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
AndesCat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Try wrapping him up snuggly in a towel so that he can't really fight you. We do this with my sister's rabbit because she kicks while we're clipping. Make sure to have a bit of extra to cover his head with so he doesn't freak out.

I used this trick with my chickens when I needed to clip/dull beak tips of seriousily other hen aggressive members of my flock. :3

Hope this helps if no one else offers advice.

Logged Logged
Tataru
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
I had a cat who was very difficult and the vet recomended something to help them relax like dramamine or something (apparently they have this for animals...who knew) but I took the meds the dr had instead, she said it works like valium and calms the animal, we had to do it every time we took her to the vet but it worked. So my advice, ask your vet, they will usually have the best advice and if that doesn't help..medicate them, worked for us and it was less stress on my poor kitty.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Haughty Humph in the Claim Game
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Any Tips on cutting ferrets nails? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 39
My ferret George was just like yours when it came to cutting the nails and ferretone (sp?) worked every time. Try putting it different places instead of always on his belly and use a semi-strong hold on his paw so he can't take it away from you. Usually George got so engrossed trying to reach his treat, cutting his nails was easy as pie after I got use to doing it.

Any other ferret questions, hit me up! I may not have the right answer, but I'll definitely have a story for you... Like the time George somehow caught a frog, killed it, and put it in his food bowl. Eeww.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.