Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What's up with this? ~rant?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: What's up with this? ~rant?
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:What's up with this? ~rant? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 216
b4 this turns int some kinda war, b/c i can slowly feel the heat going up about this topic, i want to say CHILL OUT.

firstly i'm not knocking these stories, i think its widely known that r0o is a lover of both Cliche and cheesy stories. honestly they give me giggles.

Second what i was ranting about was the oddity of so many reviews for such a lacking allover story. I'm not going to stand up and say i have perfect grammar or that my stories are the best and everyone should review them.

I was talking about one story that caught my eye. I'm not going to name names, but the story has 21k words and 20 chapters. that means on average the word count per chapter is about 1050. and its got over 700 reviews.

that averages out to be 35 reviews a chapter. ON AVERAGE. for an average 1050 words.

Now i'm not saying its not possible, certainly as much as i read i have seen stories that are shorter with less word count get the same and deserve it. But there are grammatical errors, there are even points when 'Sesshomaru' and 'Kagome' as well as other characters names aren't spelled correctly. there are points in which characters suddenly get unexplained nick names. and well Honestly the author has about 1 out of 11 stories finished, while continuing to start more.

My gripe, my reason for ranting is i wonder more then anything how they get 35 people st say "great job" "update soon" or whatever per chapter. @_@ that blows my mind. regardless of if you think its fair or not, i personally am just confused about it.

Its been said and i agree with the fact that the audience is younger, doesn't see the mistakes or doesn't care for them. They like the easy ready, the quickie story. and i don't begrudge them that. but i still wonder why they would review some of it in the first place.

I review a lot, but i don't review crap. Sorry, i was always told if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all. and that goes for reviews as well. b/c i can be constructive, i usually am for a lot of people too. but seriously. some of its like a plotbunny with crayons on the wall. unplanned and and messy, and still people say 'wow'

That was my rant. so please don't get testy with other people for their opinions, because that is what this is for. thanks. - r0o

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/08/20 18:52 By sugar0o.

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Breezy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What's up with this? ~rant? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Well there are exceptions of course just like with everything. I'm not saying that it's a guarantee that someone will get more shine if they update often but think of it this way- every time you go on ff.net you see the same story, right there on the front page. you skip it and sign off but next time you come back its there, and the time after that. human beings are curious creatures. I think that people will eventually check that story out. They might not stay with it but typically, or from what i've seen the more reviews a story gets, the more people will read it. There aren't a lot of writers up there that will get many reviews if their stories aren't update in months or a good 3 weeks. It just seems to me like the more you update, the more likely you'll get a review.
But I can see your point.

Logged Logged

sassycatattack
Sesshoumaru's Fiend
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What's up with this? ~rant? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
I have to agree with the more updates, the more reviews. But I also think it depends on the trend or 'fad' the stories are in.

I remember about two years ago, there was a HUGE boom in 'Mate' stories. There wasn't a lot of those type of stories back in 2005, but in early 2006 they really took off. I noticed that stories that incorporated that trend seemed to get the more reviews then those that were more unique in nature.

I have a younger cousin who reads the lower rated Inuyasha fanfictions, and she said that the high school theme is still fairly popular, as well as the 'Next door neighbour' fiction.

I have no idea why badly written stories are popular. A lot of mine aren't works of art either, and I'm still thrown by some of the responses. Although I have to say, it's a pity young readers are writing stories in the same style as other young authors. They won't be able to mould their skills if they are reading mediocre work without grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.

Logged Logged
FayeMegan
Whelp
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:What's up with this? ~rant? 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 24
Oh r0o, you know I'm only here for the smut!

Just kidding

You have a point there, I usually just skip over stuff if it doesn't seem very well written to me. Immaturity/bad grammar/over cliche stuff usually warrants a "pass" for me.

Sometimes things start of cliche and have their own twist can make it a BIT worthwhile. Otherwise, there's really only 5 or so fanfiction that I actually follow here. Others I casually read here and there.

~Faye

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.