Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Quick question on kanji/hiragana
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Quick question on kanji/hiragana
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Quick question on kanji/hiragana 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Don't worry it's a really simple question. In manga and anime you often hear people complain about having trouble reading something someone wrote, normally in the form of a letter or something like that, but the reason they have a problem is that the person has a problem writing either kanji or hiragana and end up leaving it out, and can be hard to read when only one is used.

Anyways...my question is, is it only kanji or hiragana that is written in the letter making it hard to read? If you have any idea what I'm talking about and know the answer, please let me know.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Quick question on kanji/hiragana 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -666
I'm not certain what you're talking about, Hairann, but maybe what can be confusing about kanji is that a single kanji can have several different subtle meetings and several different, widely contrasting pronunciations. Hiragana is just the Japanese syllabic alphabet, so when one reads it, the words written are simple to pronounce. With kanji, sometimes you have to hear it out loud to know how to pronounce, because of the aforementioned differences in meanings.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Quick question on kanji/hiragana 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Yeah I didn't explain it very well lol. But if it helps, I think Ami, Ms. H and Melvin are usually complaining that Serena does what I am referring to. (From Sailor Moon of course). It was something like her using only kanji (or only hiragana) in her school work making it seem really uneducated, bad grammar and all that.

Anyone have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about? Cause I would really rather not have to go back through all of the manga/anime I have trying to find it lol. Or perhaps I should ask what is the harder of the two to learn? Seeing as that will probably have been the one left out lol.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Quick question on kanji/hiragana 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -666
That would be her using only hiragana rather than kanji. Again, hiragana is the basic syllabic alphabet. Children in school are taught something like several thousand kanji characters over the course of their education.

Kanji, while they are elaborately drawn characters, can be simplified into hiragana characters. For instance "akai" means red and there is a single kanji character that represents it, but you can also spell it simply in hiragana using the characters "a" "ka" "i".

People from Japan who are less educated don't know many of the kanji characters since they were never in school long enough to learn them. They have to use hiragana to write certain words rather than using kanji. So, by her spelling everything in hiragana, she implies that she is less educated like them. This might be a bit shameful to the family if they place a lot of stock in their education and social status.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Quick question on kanji/hiragana 14 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Ah thanks ladyb *huggles*

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.