Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Pay It Forward - Writing Tips
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 3
TOPIC: Pay It Forward - Writing Tips
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Pay It Forward - Writing Tips 15 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 8
24. Using the same action verbs, adjectives, and nouns. Even though I am definitely a novice I do know this much. Don't use the same word to describe an action or thing. For example, instead of always saying, "Kagome walked over to the fountain. Then she walked over to the field of flowers. After that she walked over to talk to Sesshoumaru." Instead of using the same action word, adjective, or noun over and over again try to use a different one every time that best fits the situation. If you must use the same one again in a chapter than make sure they are far apart from each other. Using a variety of words to describe something (like instead of using "walking" over and over you could maybe use "tip-toed" or "sauntered over" etc). This gives the story more flow and interest for the reader. One great way to avoid doing this altogether is to become best friends with a thesaurus!

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
ShadowTamer
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Pay It Forward - Writing Tips 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
25. I'm guilty of this myself which is probably why I want to help warn you away from it. Describing. Describing a place, person, or thing can be very impotant to your story. It can give it life, depth, and just plain make you sound like a genious. The problem is the amount of descriptions you don't want to literally paint a picture for your reader. That makes the story uninteresting and it just makes me want to go to sleep from my boredom of trying to figure out what the room is supposed to look like. There should be enough of a description that you get the general idea of what is being described but not so much that the words need to be translated into a picture to understand them.

The same goes for the opposite. Readers want to know the story but they want to be able to fill in those completley irrelevent deatails themselves. As weird as it sounds it helps make us as writers and as readers feel smarter if we understand without having to have it spelled out for us.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/11/19 23:14 By ShadowTamer.

Never argue with an idiot: they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Gem_Fluffs
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Pay It Forward - Writing Tips 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/11/30 14:46 By Gem_Fluffs 16.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.