Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
influence of reviews
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: influence of reviews
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
I generally have a pretty good idea of where a story is going in my head. Sometimes I even write it down, because I worry I might forget a really great idea (which HAS happened and it's very irritating). I'm not super anal about it... even so, I don't generally take what reviewers say into account because I usually have something specific I want to say or express, even if the story is still fluid. Unless, of course, it is a crowning moment of awesome too bad a** NOT to write. This happens very rarely, as my mantra is pretty much to write what I want to write. Sounds selfish, no? I suppose to some it might be...

But being an artist first, writer second, I tend to be a bit stubborn when it comes to the vision I have for my writing.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
piratequeen0405
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
I eat reviews like candy, read them carefully, and try to answer all of them, but they don't influence my stories. PT and Scissors are all mapped out, and if I decide to deviate from the master plan, it will be because I've rethought something and changed my mind. Outmatched, because it's being written for prompts, I'm making up as I go along, but I've got a vague idea how it will end.

Logged Logged
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 91
Though i love my reviews and what most have to say they have no effect on the plot of anything I do. I work from detailed outlines that are put together before I start writing that have a definitive timeline of what goes on and where it goes. Though some of what goes on is fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants there are basic plot points I follow and need to go in at certain points. Once in a blue moon (last time this happened was with Evolution of a Taiyoukai-it was that long ago) i will take a suggestion if I need something to fill up a chapter to a length I want it but for the most part suggestions or what someone wants in it isn't something i go by. No offense to reviewers but I can't do custom stuff and stick to the outline i work with and off of.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
I haven't really looked at my work but I'd imagine I don't let certain review sway me to write out their ideas. I might consider it and maybe tweak it to fit into the storyline. But if I always followed what readers suggested in their reviews it wouldn't be my story because I was not sticking to my story ideas (meaning readers would expect what would and the story wouldn't be intersting anymore) I want to stick to my own ideas and rather surprise readers than have them dictate my story to their own desires (this job is reserved for the beta who helps the author formulate a plot but doesn't entirely change the author's original plot just changes it a bit to make it entertaining and realistic)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/27 14:16 By InuYoukaiLiz.

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 40
My plot's usually planned already, which a few exceptions like Heartbeats and my Naruto fic To The Heart. Those I come up with as I go.

I love reviews, but I usually have a vision in my head. It's nice when my readers give me feedback, but it does not necessarily affect my plotline, but more in how I write and how I can improve my grammar and other things like flow.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
Angelic Memories
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
I somewhat allow review to influence my work. I tend to have a detailed yet basic plan and before posting a story I have many chapters done a head of time. So the review that speak of thing to come that haven't already passed in the chapters that I have written could influnence what I write. Though usually I will take any review and twist it to my own liking.

I have learnt from a writer it is best to listen to your readers but don't always give into them.

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 54
I love reviews, but for the plot lines of the story, they don't effect it at all. I have a scene by scene outline done, or close to done, before starting a story and I've gotta stick to it or something that happens later on won't make sense. And me being me, I'd never remember to fix what happens later so it does lol.

Though when my reviewers guess correctly on what's going to happen next, I am tempted to change it. Thankfully they are unable to guess correctly most of the time, it means I'm doing my job right lol.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 156
I do my writing somewhat similarly. I plan the basic plot but I don't plan on the details, I want to leave room for the story itself to take a life and start to develop.

Reviews, to me, are what inspire me. They make me feel appreciated and they give me the will to keep on writing. My readers rarely suggest things to me, but there was one time when I was really touch by one of my reviewers, who influenced me so that I did as she suggested, as tribute to her.

That is, in my fic Faded Memories Kagome got accidentally pregnant, and then this one reviewer of mine told me her story, about how she had had a miscarriege. I was so touched by her sincerity and support that as a tribute to her, I did make Kagome lose the child. Which also made Kagome bond better with Sesshoumaru as they mourned both for the lost pup.

Logged Logged
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
influence of reviews 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 39
Okay, have a question for you awesome writers out there.

I know there are some awe-inspiring (to me) writers out there who plan every little detail out, map it down, and write it out just as they plotted it. Me? I get a basic idea, know how I want to piece to end, and fill in the gaps as I go. After posting a chapter I go and read the reviews and sometimes am just dying to sway the story to the way the populace wants--be it a happy ending or for some character to enter the piece that I'd never intended to be there (though I rarely, if ever, do).

SO, how much influence do your reviews have on your chapter fics?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/27 19:41 By LC Rose.

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.