Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Any suggestions?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Any suggestions?
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 25
Other than your basic greetings, if your japanese is very limited 'wakarimasen' is something that would be useful. It means both 'I don't understand'.

Things you would need to know would depend on your situation. My biggest suggestion is trying to get a Japanese phrase book, or if you have an iPod touch or iPhone downloading the Beginning Japanese Words and Phrases from www.thejapanesepage.com. In addition to having lots of useful phrases right at your fingertips, there are flash cards and quizzes built right in to help you out. I only have the free version, but it has come in handy to keep my skills sharp.

The page I just mentioned is full of resources on speaking Japanese, living in Japan, and traveling to Japan. I'm sure you could find a ton of advice there, directly from people who have already been through the same situation ^^

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 4
Ah, that's good to know. Do you know any specific phrases I should memorize? I know how to ask if they understand English but that's pretty much it.

Logged Logged
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 40
Lady Shikibu wrote:
So... about the food thing. Does it smell really bad? 'Cause I think I can handle slimy and nasty looking (and I'm pretty good at keeping a straight face while eating grody tasting things), but I might have troubles if it smells nasty...

And I'll definitely take lots of pictures - heaps and heaps of them!

Japanese food generally has a very light aroma. Definitely not as strong as Chinese of Korean foods tend to get.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
So... about the food thing. Does it smell really bad? 'Cause I think I can handle slimy and nasty looking (and I'm pretty good at keeping a straight face while eating grody tasting things), but I might have troubles if it smells nasty...

And I'll definitely take lots of pictures - heaps and heaps of them!

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 25
One thing I've learned is they are very mellow when it comes to a foreigner making some sort of faux pas. They understand that you aren't Japanese, and don't expect you to catch onto every little cultural thing right off the bat. Also, don't be embarrassed to speak Japanese. Even if you screw it up to a degree (as long as it sounds like what you are trying to say and not something totally mangled), they aren't going to laugh and tease you in a mean manner. Like my Japanese friends tell me, they will appreciate that you have made the effort to try and learn and adapt to their language and customs.

Logged Logged
Infinite Silence
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
Lol, I wasn't sure. lol. I'm a 5'2" half korean, and ppl in california seem to assume that i'm mexican. lol. ^__^ I hope that you have fun, i still think that you should take a ton of pictures! that would be awsome! ^___^

Logged Logged

Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
Thank you guys so much for the tips! And I'll definitely be taking tons of pictures.

To answer Infinite Silence: no I don't look Asian. I'm a 6'+ Dutch woman, I don't expect to fit in apearance wise.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 78
My brother's wife only came from Japan a couple of years ago, and the biggest cultural problem I have is food- Japanese taste is obviously not very similar to working class midwestern taste, and it is very, very hard to eat some of the food she makes. If it is not totally slimy, I just try really hard. View it as an adventure, because it is unlikely most things will appeal to you very much. If the food is exceptionally strange in texture or aged fishyness, I just give up and pleasantly admit I don't care for it. Usually she just laughs wildly at me, probably having gotten the same reaction from my brother. As for language, many, many Japanese people have to learn English in school, which is not to say you can necessarily understand what they are saying. Most likely some of the people you will be around will speak English as well as you, however.

Logged Logged
Angelic Memories
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
I have heard from a firend to be careful how you call a person. Being informal to someone you have just met is rude unless they tell you to call them different. For example using -san is polite unless they tell you to use chan or kun

Logged Logged

Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
The advice that I can give you is, as with visiting all other places, to be polite. And don't be afraid to try something new, especially when your host family serves you something for breakfast, lunch, or dinner that you totally have never seen or head of before.

Being polite also includes bowing which is a customary greeting in Japan. Also, I'd like to add that a Japanese friend of mine says that its very rude to keep staring at someone you've newly met. o.o

You'll be learning much more than I can offer since you're staying with a host family. Just be open and follow what they're saying if they're trying to give advise on how to do something.

Logged Logged

Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
Any suggestions? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 4
In a few weeks I'll be heading to Japan as part of an exchange program. I'll be staying for ten days with a host family, visiting the mayor, participating in a festival, and other things like that.

What I was wondering was if any of you had ever been to Japan also, and if you would be willing to share a few tips. Or even if you haven't been to Japan, if you had any hints about the do's and don'ts of japanese life I'd be very apreciative! I'm increadably afraid I'll do something taboo adn get into major trouble...

(Not to mention I've just read MLMonty's Cultural Differences. Totally hasn't made me paraniod or anything. )

Logged Logged
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
I must be getting annoying.

but I wanted to add a little more.

When starting a meal, say "Itadakimasu".
When ending a meal, say "Gochizousama"

Logged Logged

Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
No problem whatsoever.

I'm glad to be of some assistance.

Logged Logged

Infinite Silence
Pup
graphgraph
I suppose that you do not look asian? if not, and you speak japanese then start with Sumimasen ga. pause for a breath and then continue on with what you were going to say. That way they know that you can speak Japanese. I read that somewhere. It's so that they understand that you do speak the language and well maybe it will help you to gather your thoughts a little to form the sentence the way you would like it sound.

good luck! oh oh! and take some pics!! I wanna see what it looks like,.. I was there once but stuck in an airport... T_T:blush:

and to follow in the footsteps of a great author you'll do fine!

Logged Logged

Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
angelic memories wrote:
I have heard from a firend to be careful how you call a person. Being informal to someone you have just met is rude unless they tell you to call them different. For example using -san is polite unless they tell you to use chan or kun

I agree. Be sure to know that when you DON'T call someone with the suffix "-san" attached, that means that you've established a sort of intimacy with them (you've known them for a long time and are good enough friends to drop the honorific). But when you haven't got that intimate connection established, the name-calling without the honorific, can be very insulting.

"-chan" is mostly use for children, or by children, or for someone like a close friend.

"-kun" is mostly used by girls/women towards a male friend, particularly when there is an intimacy/closeness established. Can be used by boys/men to each other, usually the younger one towards the older.

"-sama", is used towards a person of high position to show great respect. In my case, since I deal with Japanese customers on a daily basis, "-sama" is attached to his/her last name as a form of professionalism and respect.

The simplest and most commonly recognized greeting, however, is "-san". You usually can never go wrong with it.

Logged Logged

Infinite Silence
Pup
graphgraph
lol sorry 2 posts right after another..... ummm i didn't see the part where you said you would be taking pictures.. lol. ummmm I wanna see the pictures.^___^ I like pictures

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.