Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
A-Kon meetup
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: A-Kon meetup
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 52
JACON is next month in Orlando, I'll be heading up I-4 to attend that one as well probably. FX turned into a major bust due to a lack of attendance, probably due the economy.

I did get to see most of the stars though.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 31
Smittee can only make it to Floridian Cons; although, I did get to go to Chicago's Wizard World in June. It would have been awesome to know if anyone from Dokuga was there. Anyways, yeah. I don't leave the state. I don't know if I would be able to go anytime soon either. If I get any money roling in, I'll have to make the choices between MegaCon, J-con, Hoggtowne Medieval Faire, and just saving up for next year. Although, since the Rein Fest is only $10 to enter, I think Smittee will return to that one. (I don't go to the big Rein Fest in Tampa. Too expensive.)

Perhaps one day I will have the chance to go to another convention. For now, I'm more or less thinking about getting the means to do anything. All you people going to Conventions this year, I ask that you all have fun! If you see in the art section a comic strip named "Code Name Power", please go talk to them. They like to talk with people. (Look at me. Advertising their very mature version of the Power Rangers to people. It seems me running around Wizard World, and passing out their cards for them has made an impact.)

Anyways, their comic is based in Florida, so that's why I knows of them....Well, at least the artist well. He's amazing artist. O.O Just watching him makes me do the, 'Holy crap,that's what he was drawing? I would have never guessed, from how it started! That was amazing! Did I just sit her for over an hour watching this?!"

..Sorry. I got really way off track. I shall be ending this post then.

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Tally Mark
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 18
Gah...those are all way too far for me to attend. *sighs* But, I will be at Anime Boston this year.

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 9
Thanks for the advice I just might consider attending A-kon if I visit good ole Dallas or even Matsuri....but I also really wanted to go to Sakura-con in Seattle...my friend Carl is going to that one I believe and it sounds good. The two times I've been to Seattle...I loved it it was awesome and fun (besides the funny fact that it never once rained while I was there)

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 32
InuYoukaiLiz wrote:
Sadly no..the first and only time I attended an anime conventionwas Oni-con 2008 which was in December due to Ike hitting the Houston area (and Sugar Land where my abuelita lives and who I was staying with the time the hurricane hit)

People from Oni0con told me only bad stuff about Matsuri saying it was more of a video game con rather than an anime con but when all the Oni-con attendees got a booklet of last year's Anime Matsuri it looked good to me

Actually, I worked security at Oni-con 2008, as well as both AnimeMatsuri 2008 and 2009.

From firsthand experience, Oni-con last year was kind of a bust, though I am sure that it had A LOT to do with the fact that it had to be rescheduled. the weekend before Christmas IS NOT the ideal time to have a con. It seemed kind of small, but I am also sure that it had something to do with the fact that the GeorgeBrown Convention center is sooo freaking huge. The guest list was nice though, and the bands were good. Another downside to the location, was that there was virtually nothing open past 9pm in the surrounding restaurant district, and if you needed anything, you had to drive to get it.

Anime Matsuri is a good con. Their guest list is top-notch. Yes, there are extensive gaming tournaments going on during the con, but there is A LOT more... They have workshops on different aspects of popular Japanese culture.. ie: import tuning (car show), fashion show (lolita, cyber, traditional kimono, J-Rock); Japan-American Society of Houston hosts workshops on origami-brush painting; They had workshops on fanfiction; they generally have a really good music act, though this year they managed to score 3 really good ones. The location is also primo, since there is an abundance of retail and restaurants around the hotel.

From a volunteer point-of-view, I will NEVER volunteer for AnimeMatsuri again, since they have messed up my schedule both years... but I will most definitely pay for registration... Aside from A-kon, which is in my neck of the woods, AnimeMatsuri is one of the best cons I have ever attended. Behind the scenes, things might be a little screwed up, but from a con-goers POV, it is an excellent con.

If you decide to try and attend A-kon in the future, get in touch with me, I am sure that I can help you out by providing crash-space if I know in advance. I always have a room in the hotel, and I often end up upgrading to a larger suite so that more people can crash with me. The more the merrier.

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Sadly no..the first and only time I attended an anime conventionwas Oni-con 2008 which was in December due to Ike hitting the Houston area (and Sugar Land where my abuelita lives and who I was staying with the time the hurricane hit)

People from Oni0con told me only bad stuff about Matsuri saying it was more of a video game con rather than an anime con but when all the Oni-con attendees got a booklet of last year's Anime Matsuri it looked good to me

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
InuYoukaiLiz wrote:
Sadly I can only go to Anime Matsuri or Oni-con because they are close to where I live

did you by chance make it to AnimeMatsuri this year? I was there. Me and my best fried roomed with Zyphen's Insanity and her vending partner. If you went, did you go to the fashion show, or the Miyavi show, or either of the raves?

I am, by the way, still looking for others attending A-Kon.

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Sadly I can only go to Anime Matsuri or Oni-con because they are close to where I live

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 25
After seeing the guest list for FX, I wouldn't mind checking that out!

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 52
I dunno about A-kon, very doubtful that I will be able to make it, but I will be at FX this weekend in Orlando if anyone lives in the area.

EDIT: Guest list at this year's FX, just to make people jealous (which I rarely get to do).

www.fxshow.com/pages/guest.htm

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/04/16 17:47 By JoshuaK.

sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
I just checked out the guest list... and DAMN... that IS good... I doubt that I would go, but it is impressive. The guest list for Anime Matsuri in HOUSTON last weekend was outstanding...

www.animematsuri.com/index_html.php?id=5&sid=1
www.animematsuri.com/index_html.php?id=5&sid=2
www.animematsuri.com/index_html.php?id=5&sid=5

Logged Logged
sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
A-Kon meetup 15 Years ago Karma: 32
I am going to be at A-Kon in Dallas at the end of May, as I am every year. I know several other sites and forums that organize meet-ups with their members. Of anyone else here is going to be attending, how many would be interested in meeting up with other members?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/04/16 15:08 By sesshys_jaded_samuri.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.