Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 3
TOPIC: 2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
I'm sorry, but there have been several of our older authors who've refused to have their work on AO3. I don't know how well they're doing now, but complaints were made in the past about a certain lack of policing plagiarism, as well as no oversight about ratings.

I, personally, am reluctant to entrust stories and artwork (do they even host artwork?) on a site that some of our people don't trust. If it comes down to that, we will give people the opportunity (as we did when A Single Spark was closed) and post it where they feel most comfortable. Since this isn't going to be a concern until November, at the earliest, we have a lot of time to consider options.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

The administrator has disabled public write access.
NellyWhirl
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I actually didn’t receive an email (although I received the newest email, just today). I truly enjoy this site and the little bit that I can give I will....but... big but, I cannot give via paypal. We have....issues. Cashapp, moneygram, walmart, chase?????

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
I'm so sorry, but we've tried I don't know how many other ways to receive donations, and it hasn't worked out well. Perhaps, if things settle down soon, I will investigate some of the ideas you've given me.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Ashley Brown
Pup
graphgraph
You could contact the moderators of AO3 and ask them questions to help resolve your concerns.

They do host fanart, I've seen plenty of it posted. I haven't seen any thing about plagiarism, though I am not discounting that it had/has probably happened. I do know that they take on the fics and artwork to other sites that close down to help preserve them. The most recent website they preserved the works from was a dedicated Vin Diesel site.

Unfortunately, the fundraiser email came between paychecks, but I'll be able to donate something later with week.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
If it appears as though we need to consider what to do with the archive, I will keep this in mind. We still have time, though, and I'm hopeful that we will be able to fund the site into next year.

Thank you for the suggestion!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Sent another donation tonight. Hope it helps.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Charlene
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
I sent a donation via PayPal, please inform me if you have received it.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Hairann wrote:

Thanks so much, sweetheart! Your support and dedication over the years has been nothing short of amazing!!!
<3

~~me~~

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Charlene wrote:
I sent a donation via PayPal, please inform me if you have received it.

I did, indeed, receive your generous donation and thank you SO VERY MUCH!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

DelphinieN
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
I'm sorry that I do not have anything to give... I wish I have something to support this amazing site besides just contributing to the expanding library of fantastic stories. I will be very sad to see this wonderful community get shut down.

Have you ever considered having advertisement on this website though? It can be a source of revenue that can keep the site running without having to create a fundraising event like this every year or so, and it can be as simple as having a banner running at the main page or something. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the layout of the website as it is right now; however, I wouldn't mind seeing advertisements if it means to keep this community running.

Either way, it is just something I think of... I will try to contribute when I have the ability to do so!

Logged Logged
CookieAsylum
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
I sent what I could. Please let me know if you’ve successfully received it.

Logged Logged

Prava
Pup
graphgraph
I sent a donation. I hope it helps. I don’t write stories and am not really active but I do read stories here and lurk around quite a bit. In fact, I don’t even know if I am replying to this thread correctly. This is my first posting anything and I have been member since a few years ago!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
DelphinieN wrote:
I'm sorry that I do not have anything to give... I wish I have something to support this amazing site besides just contributing to the expanding library of fantastic stories. I will be very sad to see this wonderful community get shut down.

Have you ever considered having advertisement on this website though? It can be a source of revenue that can keep the site running without having to create a fundraising event like this every year or so, and it can be as simple as having a banner running at the main page or something. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the layout of the website as it is right now; however, I wouldn't mind seeing advertisements if it means to keep this community running.

Either way, it is just something I think of... I will try to contribute when I have the ability to do so!

Your continued support, whether in the form of stories, forum posts, or just plain being here is also GREATLY appreciated!! Never doubt that you are an important part of Dokuga whether you can donate or not.

I've often thought about advertising but there are a couple problems with that:
1. The Wiccie is NOT a coder/programmer/person-thing
2. I would have to bug the Mitharus to see if it would be possible to embed advert code

If it comes down to the wire, we'll take a look at that along with everything else, though. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
CookieAsylum wrote:
I sent what I could. Please let me know if you’ve successfully received it.

Oh, sweetheart, yes!!! I got it and cannot possibly thank you enough for your generosity! Your support over the years has been awesome and I can only hope that Dokuga continues to earn your interest. "Thanks" seems pretty lame, but it's all I've got at the moment... so...

THANKS!
<3

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Prava wrote:
I sent a donation. I hope it helps. I don’t write stories and am not really active but I do read stories here and lurk around quite a bit. In fact, I don’t even know if I am replying to this thread correctly. This is my first posting anything and I have been member since a few years ago!

Thank you so VERY much for your generous donation!! It really doesn't matter if you lurk, if you just read, or if you're active... you're as much a part of this community that I love as anyone else. I'm kinda glad this prompted you to post on the forum finally, though. See? It wasn't hard, and now maybe you'll feel more comfortable doing it again!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

AffectionateCactus
Pup
graphgraph
Hi there! While I'm not a writer myself, I thoroughly enjoy reading all the amazing fanfiction posted on this site. I would hate to see the writers who put so much time and effort into their work lose a place to post their writing. While I can't give much, I went ahead and donated $15 dollars to the cause. I hope that Dokuga is able to achieve it's fundraiser goal and stand the test of time.

On a side note, I read that some people may have difficulties using and donating through the PayPal website. If in the future you're looking for something that may be easier to donate through, I know that gofundme.com is a popular website to use. You can set up a donation goal and people who have donated can see how the donations progress over time.

Anyway, if I can, I'll try and donate more in the future.

Ta Ta,
AffectionateCactus

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
Hairann wrote:

Thanks so much, sweetheart! Your support and dedication over the years has been nothing short of amazing!!!
<3

~~me~~

Just wish I could be on here more often.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Jane
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 5
I was going over the numbers and they seem steep,but in all reality it will only be cheaper per month if you pay for the domain name,then you host it from a house,but then you need a pc with enough storage compacity. Then also have a Internet signal strong enough to hold the traffic so the site does not lag,along with hoping you don't have a power outage that would kill any traffic going to the site.my husband had an emulator website and we hosted it for a year.i cannot help with donations I have alot going on at home.I would hate to see it close,i also enjoy it being ad free.please keep.this in mind when thinking about making hosting cheaper.it can be a mess without really knowing how many things can come up.

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 31
Is there a reason why we haven't made an announcement on the DeviantArt Dokuga page to remind about donations?

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Christine
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
Hey this is the first year I donated though I love reading here all the stories and art are amazing! I could only donate 150, hopefully it helps, I would hate to see this site disappear.
Christine

Logged Logged
ladyg
Pup
graphgraph
how do we donate? is there a link? thanks!

Logged Logged
Elehanna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 6
there are instructions on the first page, the first post. just make sure you look carefully at the site so you find and click the right things. I hope this helps...

Logged Logged
Eroviaa hunter
Pup
graphgraph
Re:2018 FUNDRAISING TIME!! 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2
A Patreon is not a bad idea. As a person who subscribes to a couple of people I have to say I love the it auto comes out of my account and I don't have think about it. I have never used paypal, do I need to make an account? Is there a way to automate donations, like $10/ mo ?

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
AffectionateCactus wrote:
Hi there! While I'm not a writer myself, I thoroughly enjoy reading all the amazing fanfiction posted on this site. I would hate to see the writers who put so much time and effort into their work lose a place to post their writing. While I can't give much, I went ahead and donated $15 dollars to the cause. I hope that Dokuga is able to achieve it's fundraiser goal and stand the test of time.

On a side note, I read that some people may have difficulties using and donating through the PayPal website. If in the future you're looking for something that may be easier to donate through, I know that gofundme.com is a popular website to use. You can set up a donation goal and people who have donated can see how the donations progress over time.

Anyway, if I can, I'll try and donate more in the future.

Ta Ta,
AffectionateCactus

Thank you so much for your generous donation!! I will certainly try to look into places like gofundme and see if their fees aren't too much. I know they get a portion of every donation on that site but, as you noted, it does seem a popular place to use.

Thanks for the idea, and many thanks for the support!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Jane wrote:
I was going over the numbers and they seem steep,but in all reality it will only be cheaper per month if you pay for the domain name,then you host it from a house,but then you need a pc with enough storage compacity. Then also have a Internet signal strong enough to hold the traffic so the site does not lag,along with hoping you don't have a power outage that would kill any traffic going to the site.my husband had an emulator website and we hosted it for a year.i cannot help with donations I have alot going on at home.I would hate to see it close,i also enjoy it being ad free.please keep.this in mind when thinking about making hosting cheaper.it can be a mess without really knowing how many things can come up.

We've discussed the option of moving the hosting to another company or something with fewer safeguards, but I will remind our older users what the last year or two of A Single Spark was like when hosting was bouncing around. It was a bit of a nightmare! With our current company, LiquidWeb, we get first-class hosting, uptime, and assistance any time we experience a problem. To the best of my knowledge, since 2011, we've never experienced downtime that lasted for more that 36 hours - and most times less than 2 or 3. In addition, our costs haven't changed from 2011 either. We are still paying the same $234/month that we were then.

According to LiquidWeb, we have few options given their services. We can't move to a shared server because we're pretty much using all of our dedicated server. This is another reason that the price seems high, but the service is fantastic. I can't praise LiquidWeb enough for the help they've given me over the years, and I can't say enough good things about Mitharus and the help he's given us. We might not have all the bells and whistles of other sites, but we are still the largest single-pairing site on the interwebs, I believe. And we're here, 24/7, day after day.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, and don't worry about whether or not you can donate. Your support, via reading, reviewing, maybe posting in the forums, is VERY important to us. You're part of our community and I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2018/07/17 08:40 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: EDIT before posting!! O.o

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.