Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Curiosity
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Curiosity
Sonya
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Curiosity 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
I was wondering if there were any book-to-film adaptations that anyone really loves? Because I have a hard time with liking/disliking certain adaptions lol.

For example I loved the book If I stay and Where she Went by Gayle Forman but I absolutely hated the movie. I was so excited and it totally let me down.

I loved the movie the Hunger Games. But I saw the movie first. I just got the book yesterday and finished it today. Its lessened my love for the movie now.

So, I was curious what are some of your favorite book-to-film adaptions and what are the ones you can't stand?

Lol, to be sure I am 24 so any adult film/book is okay to mention.

Ps letters are popping up really big so I am really sorry if that bothers anyone but I am on my phone and I dont know how to fix it

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Curiosity 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 57
My favourite book to movie adaptation is probably LOTR and the Hobbit.

Not so much for content, but for not taking that cheesy fantasy route with terrible costumes and worse makeup. I mean the whole scale issue from human to hobbit could have looked so fake for example.

So I was thrilled when that was cleverly dealt with.

I also adored the costuming.

Any one of the actors or even the orcs looked like they were wearing something genuinely medieval.

So yeah, I love the armour, dresses, and stuff like that, plus the sets they built like Edoras. Wowsers, it was beautiful on-screen. The acting was good too, plus PJ like was the first to direct multiple films back to back for release back to back.

Now everyone does it.

Hilarious.

I do like the Hobbit films better visually.

More modern I guess, but overall this is my favourite book-to-film adaptation regardless of what the purists say about changes etc about content and characters.

We have the films, it's better than not having them.

The next one is probably Game of Thrones book to TV, although technically not film, each episode and season plays as a film. Almost. The attention to detail, besides the smut, from background to costuming is fabulous too.

I like these adaptations because the film/tv crews took the source material seriously. I've seen way too many cheesy fantasy films and even TV series to ever have faith in them. The costumes are terrible or the storyline is predictable or the characters are cardboard cutouts.

It's a real disappointment.

Probably why I liked historial medieval dramas.

They were fantastic with period costumes and stuff.

Just beautiful.

After LOTR and the Hobbit we're seeing more and more fantasy-genre films that aren't animated, but live-action, with actual seriousness given to the costuming the core-stuff.

The worst I've seen of this is probably Eragon. I loved Saphira, she rocked as a dragon, but the movie plot was terrible after Saphira froze Brom in crystal on a hilltop. I couldn't take it seriously since I was more interested in the cool dragon-magic stuff than in Eragon himself.

It's hilarious when the dragon outshines its rider.

I really wanted more of Saphira.

She was too awesome.

A better book to film adaptation is any of Steven King's stuff, particularly his 'The Stand' series. Scary and wonderfully weird. Love it, even if it is impossible to get on DVD. Although I did enjoy his Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption ones too.

5 stars.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/02/06 23:08 By Pyre.
Sonya
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Curiosity 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
Ive been saving up to see the game of thrones, you know buy it. I have heard so many things and my hubby got me the first book. I hear great things about the show.

Omg yes! I cant believe I forgot about the hobbit and the lord of the rings! I loved how beautiful evrything looked. Like even the scary places were beautiful. They did a great job with the orcs. For whatever reason in my mind they never seemed as scary as they did on screen. The first time I saw them I couldnt believe how scary they were.

I have those movies except the hobbit. But again saving money to buy it. I havent seem them yet. I always catch them o. Tv but edited and I just never bother if its edited.

My hubby loved eragon but he doesnt read so thats why lol. It was weird because it felt like it was slow but it jumped everywhere at the sametime. I just think it could have been done a lot better.

Stand by me and Misery are probably my favorites. But I need to see the others that have been adapted.

Logged Logged
MissKatt
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Curiosity 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON ERAGON. -tears out hair- I was so excited for that movie to come out and my poor, poor husband had to hear me b**** (sorry Wiccan!) and complain throughout the whole movie. I swear, I was saying "THAT DIDNT HAPPEN" every other scene. UGH. Sorry.

-smooths out hair-

Anyways...beside that -points to rant above-, I would say that I was disappointed with The City of Bones movie adaption as well as The Maze Runner. I just feel like directors and screen writers twist and turn so many things to make it more appealing to people who haven't read the book.

I agree with the LOTR move adaptions. I think they did a fantastic job. And, and don't throw things at me for saying this, I think they did a decent job at 50 Shades. I know, I KNOW! The book is absolutely horrible in both writing and plot. But, ignoring that, if you can, the movie adaption of it wasn't too horrible.

I'm trying to think of more, but I really just get 'meh' reaction when my favorite books get turned into movies.

Disclaimer: 50 Shades is NOT a favorite book of mine

Pyreite wrote:
My favourite book to movie adaptation is probably LOTR and the Hobbit.

Not so much for content, but for not taking that cheesy fantasy route with terrible costumes and worse makeup. I mean the whole scale issue from human to hobbit could have looked so fake for example.

So I was thrilled when that was cleverly dealt with.

I also adored the costuming.

Any one of the actors or even the orcs looked like they were wearing something genuinely medieval.

So yeah, I love the armour, dresses, and stuff like that, plus the sets they built like Edoras. Wowsers, it was beautiful on-screen. The acting was good too, plus PJ like was the first to direct multiple films back to back for release back to back.

Now everyone does it.

Hilarious.

I do like the Hobbit films better visually.

More modern I guess, but overall this is my favourite book-to-film adaptation regardless of what the purists say about changes etc about content and characters.

We have the films, it's better than not having them.

The next one is probably Game of Thrones book to TV, although technically not film, each episode and season plays as a film. Almost. The attention to detail, besides the smut, from background to costuming is fabulous too.

I like these adaptations because the film/tv crews took the source material seriously. I've seen way too many cheesy fantasy films and even TV series to ever have faith in them. The costumes are terrible or the storyline is predictable or the characters are cardboard cutouts.

It's a real disappointment.

Probably why I liked historial medieval dramas.

They were fantastic with period costumes and stuff.

Just beautiful.

After LOTR and the Hobbit we're seeing more and more fantasy-genre films that aren't animated, but live-action, with actual seriousness given to the costuming the core-stuff.

The worst I've seen of this is probably Eragon. I loved Saphira, she rocked as a dragon, but the movie plot was terrible after Saphira froze Brom in crystal on a hilltop. I couldn't take it seriously since I was more interested in the cool dragon-magic stuff than in Eragon himself.

It's hilarious when the dragon outshines its rider.

I really wanted more of Saphira.

She was too awesome.

A better book to film adaptation is any of Steven King's stuff, particularly his 'The Stand' series. Scary and wonderfully weird. Love it, even if it is impossible to get on DVD. Although I did enjoy his Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption ones too.

5 stars.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/02/06 23:51 By MissKatt. Reason: bad language XD
Dragonscloud
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Curiosity 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 116
Hmmmm, favorite movie adaptation? Well, the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a good adaptation as was the first Jurassic Park. Some movies that I liked better than the books were Ink heart, Stardust and Congo (I swear, in the book Congo, I was rooting for the gorillas to kill everyone)

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.